Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

OpenVPN tun0 missing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
banderas20

OpenVPN tun0 missing

#1 Post by banderas20 »

Hello,

I am following this tutorial to set up a VPN in Debian:

https://www.hugeserver.com/kb/how-to-co ... tu-debian/

when I have the keys and the "server.conf" already configured, I issue "ifconfig", and find out that I have not the necessary "tun0" interface.

¿Why is that so?

Besides, I expected to need 2 physical interfaces: one for the incoming traffic and the second to give VPN access to internal resources. I don't understand why "tun0" solves this issue and how....

Many thanks in advance!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OpenVPN tun0 missing

#2 Post by p.H »

banderas20 wrote:I issue "ifconfig", and find out that I have not the necessary "tun0" interface.
- Without -a, ifconfig does not show inactive interfaces.
- The tun/tap interface is created only when openvpn is started.
banderas20 wrote: I expected to need 2 physical interfaces: one for the incoming traffic and the second to give VPN access to internal resources
What is "incoming traffic" ?
What are "internal resources" ?

banderas20

#3 Post by banderas20 »

p.H wrote:
banderas20 wrote:I issue "ifconfig", and find out that I have not the necessary "tun0" interface.
- Without -a, ifconfig does not show inactive interfaces.
- The tun/tap interface is created only when openvpn is started.
It doesn't show up even with "-a", and neither restarting openvpn (the service is shown as up).
p.H wrote:
banderas20 wrote: I expected to need 2 physical interfaces: one for the incoming traffic and the second to give VPN access to internal resources
What is "incoming traffic" ?
What are "internal resources" ?
By "incoming traffic" I mean a client coming from Internet trying to connect to the corporate LAN behind the server (that's what I mean by "internal resources").

Thanks!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

You mean that one VPN peer acts as a router between the VPN and the LAN. When the VPN is up, the router has two interfaces : the LAN interface and the VPN interface. IP routing can use any kind of network interface, not just physical interfaces.

banderas20

#5 Post by banderas20 »

p.H wrote:You mean that one VPN peer acts as a router between the VPN and the LAN. When the VPN is up, the router has two interfaces : the LAN interface and the VPN interface. IP routing can use any kind of network interface, not just physical interfaces.
I don't think I'm getting what you mean... I have a VM where I have installed OpenVPN, and I want this VM to behave like a Firewall with VPN capabilities.

For me, the items are as follows:

- External client: Windows physical host
- VPN Server: Debian VM. I thought I need 2 interfaces. One to accept external client requests and another to connect to LAN interface.
- LAN clients that will be behind the server.

I don't know if I have explained well. So....I don't get what tun0 is needed and what its purpose is.

Thanks!