Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Files getting created with saned:colord

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
doonze

Files getting created with saned:colord

#1 Post by doonze »

Doesn't seem like this is common from Google searches, but I'm getting it on two different Debian 9 systems all of a sudden.

These are directories and files created by daemons. On my main server, I started having permissions issues and noticed this behavior. Both new directories and files were being created with user saned and group colord. They are daemons that chmod and chown files they create. But didn't have this problem till last few days ago. Removing the chown part of the permissions allowed it to create them with it's own user and group. And changing permissions to 777 circumvented my issues, but it's weird it just randomly started the behavior. I know assigning a user and group that is not your own is problematic, but they have never had issues till now. And it seems it can assign saned:colord, so why can't is assign the correct ones anymore? Get's no errors on creation.

I also have a daemon on my pi, that's writing to a NFS share on my main server, and it's doing the same thing. All new files are created under saned:colord. By setting permissions to 777 I've been able to circumvent my issues functionally, but I'm just interested if anyone has any ideas on why this just started happening all of a sudden. I've made NO changes to either system. Just done normal updated.

Debian 9.5 on my X64 server.
Debian 9.4 on my arm pi
Updated to latest.

debiman

Re: Files getting created with saned:colord

#2 Post by debiman »

i've never heard of a problem like that.
well, i'm not sure i understand at all; one is not supposed to be able to have full permissions on all files, so permission denied is NOT a problem per se.
you wrote a lot, but didn't really describe the problem. no output, actual commands & error messages etc.

but - one should NEVER EVER just chmod things to 777 - at least not without a very specific reason.
the mere admission that you did that makes me almost certain that you broke much more on that little server of yours.

please do share.