keybind action to close a browser tab

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: keybind action to close a browser tab

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-09-01 20:44

Dai_trying wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to create user with very limited access to the system to prevent these things?

This would be the way I approached this, if it was me. In fact, on our home PC,
my wife, and kid have their "user accounts", home dir, and can use the browser, and have their own Desktop, (Not DE, it is a WM, but they do have a Desktop directory,) but they can not even view my home dir, nor Desktop,etc.
and they can not use sudo or su.
==========
All though the OP does not seem to want to use a kiosk type set up, and I don't know much about this, in fact I had to do a search : "What is a kiosk system ?"
and then that inspired me to search: "kiosk packages for debian ",
This : https://willhaley.com/blog/debian-fullscreen-gui-kiosk/
These instructions are helpful if you would like to create a computer kiosk. The instructions are designed to run Chromium (the open-source version of Google’s Chrome browser), but can be adapted to run any GUI program in a kiosk/fullscreen mode.

There was another one, a"kiosk-browser", but it involves to many things from non-Debian sources, in my opinion.
How ever it might be of interest, to somebody,
This package disables the regular GUI and installs a browser-only GUI. Keyboards and mice are disabled to prevent tampering.----snip---
(my comment: makes me wonder how the user maneuvers, I think one would need to ask the author about that)
---more--Notes

This package disables all inputs in the X server so that nobody can mess with your system or use it as an entry point into your network.---snip---
different Browsers
The default browser is Chromium.

============
with a screensaver option

I don't understand why this is important, I don't use a "screen saver" that runs within the OS, how ever the "screen",...I guess it is, we call them Pantalla, here.
Any way, it has it's own "power saveing" settings, if the PC is not active for 10 minuets, the screen shots off, if and when someone moves the mouse or touches the keyboard, it comes back on,...
But any way, if a screen saver is essential , maybe :
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/xscreensaver/xscreensaver.1.en.html
This program can lock your terminal in order to prevent others from using it, though its default mode of operation is merely to display pretty pictures on your screen when it is not in use.
It also provides configuration and control of your monitor's power-saving features.

Could the OP elaborate more on this:
Post by lz300 » 2018-08-27 14:39

It will be for public use.

Is this , maybe a public library, or perhaps a sales department, or by "public", you mean every body in the office, could it be a internet cafe ?
GarryRicketson

Postby debiman » 2018-09-02 06:28

lz300 wrote:I apologize for calling you a douchebag.
apology accepted.
it is ok to lose your nerves (or be snarky, in my case).
i just don't like the holier-than-thou attitude.
however, if you want to ever bring this to a conclusion, you need to concentrate on the topic at hand.
it seems like you're throwing in the towel now, and just having a meta discussion with me?
i don't understand why, but I am perfectly happy to have it.

seems like now would be the moment to get things rolling, do some web searches, try a few things, share results...?

I DID share that I was using chromium earlier, when I mentioned my exact requirements.

not in so many words.
now that i know it, yes it could be read like that: a hard requirement.

btw, i have been saying what i say from the start of the thread, just repeating it in varying aspects.

the permission thing is maybe a completely different approach, or maybe it's complementary - it would be best to implement both. but to get the whole thing looking good & remain usable even after wrong user input or even a program crash, you need to consider what i wrote so far.
debiman

Postby TonyT » 2018-09-03 13:43

TonyT

Previous

Return to General Questions