Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tar.gz BMR assistance

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
DeathMeddle1337

Tar.gz BMR assistance

#1 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Hello all, I have a nice puzzler here for you all. I am trying to recover my system from an all inclusive tar.gz archive. I have tried a few different ways, I will give a bit of backstory below. Feel free to ask for any details that might be missing.

So for some reason PlayOnLinux does not like my laptop, I always have display issues after trying to install it. Either way to recover from my most recent adventure, I figured I would just unzip my tar archive over the current setup, and this worked to a point. I was able to get back into the system, hurrah. But I was now having display issues with Steam, causing it not to load. I like to play around (I always wondered what rm -rf / did, 'exactly'...now I know) so I figured, I would wipe the system, install a new instance of Debian 9, unzip over it, and go from here. So now I am here.

I installed a new instance of Debian Stretch. This install is to an encrypted LVM spanning 2 drives, exactly as the backup came from.
At this point we have the Laptop running Stretch 9 & Kernal 4.05, while the archive was made on Kernel 4.17.
Booted to a live filesystem, mounted the LVM and drive with the tar.gz, ran standard extraction of the archive to root of the LVM. This proceeded correctly, no errors.
I rebooted the system, and grub send me to the 4.05 recovery as I expected.
I altered /etc/crypttab with the new UUIDs for the drives with the output of

Code: Select all

cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sd$$
I ran

update-initramfs -u
This proceeded correctly and gave no error, generating/updating an initramfs for 4.17
I ran

update-grub
This proceeded to say it updated grub and added the correct settings for the new kernel 4.17.
Reboot and grub still tries to force me into the 4.05 kernel.
Obviously I am missing something, but I am not sure what. Any points in the correct direction would be great.
Thanks for everything!
Last edited by DeathMeddle1337 on 2018-09-06 13:43, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't muddle in the affairs of Dragons, as they are subtle & quick to anger & you're crunchy & good with ketchup."

DeathMeddle1337

Re: Tar.gz BMR assistance

#2 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Update, reading through the man pages I also ran the following.

update-grub2
And got the same issue.
"Don't muddle in the affairs of Dragons, as they are subtle & quick to anger & you're crunchy & good with ketchup."

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

I'm no expert with lvm or anything like that but I was thinking that you might be multi-booting this machine (as you mentioned installing another instance of Debian), if this is the case your grub might be controlled by another "instance" (or OS) and if so then the OS controlling grub would need to be update-grub'd (on my machine update-grub2 is just a symlink to update-grub so would do exactly the same)

DeathMeddle1337

#4 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Thanks for the reply, however I made sure to format the system between these steps. I also ran rm -rf / which deletes anything under root as well.

vitaliok78

#5 Post by vitaliok78 »

DeathMeddle1337 wrote:Hello all, I have a nice puzzler here for you all. I am trying to recover my system from an all inclusive tar.gz archive. I have tried a few different ways, I will give a bit of backstory below. Feel free to ask for any details that might be missing.

So for some reason PlayOnLinux does not like my laptop, I always have display issues after trying to install it. Either way to recover from my most recent adventure, I figured I would just unzip my tar archive over the current setup, and this worked to a point. I was able to get back into the system, hurrah. But I was now having display issues with Steam, causing it not to load. I like to play around (I always wondered what rm -rf / did, 'exactly'...now I know) so I figured, I would wipe the system, install a new instance of Debian 9, unzip over it, and go from here. So now I am here.

I installed a new instance of Debian Stretch. This install is to an encrypted LVM spanning 2 drives, exactly as the backup came from.
At this point we have the Laptop running Stretch 4.05, while the archive was made on 4.17.
Booted to a live filesystem, mounted the LVM and drive with the tar.gz, ran standard extraction of the archive to root of the LVM. This proceeded correctly, no errors.
I rebooted the system, and grub send me to the 4.05 recovery as I expected.
I altered /etc/crypttab with the new UUIDs for the drives with the output of

cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sd$$
I ran

update-initramfs -u
This proceeded correctly and gave no error, generating/updating an initramfs for 4.17
I ran

update-grub
This proceeded to say it updated grub and added the correct settings for the new Stretch kernel 4.17.
Reboot and grub still tries to force me into the 4.05 kernel.
Obviously I am missing something, but I am not sure what. Any points in the correct direction would be great.
Thanks for everything!
I would always do HDD low level format before installing the Debian Linux, this make sure the HDD is functional and let's the Debian installer do it's clean installation work correctly on a fully clean HDD.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

DeathMeddle1337 wrote:Booted to a live filesystem, mounted the LVM and drive with the tar.gz, ran standard extraction of the archive to root of the LVM. This proceeded correctly, no errors.
Did the old and new installation use a separate partition for /boot ? If yes, did you mount it before restoring the archive and executing other actions ?
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:At this point we have the Laptop running Stretch 4.05, while the archive was made on 4.17.
What are 4.05 and 4.17 ? Stretch is Debian 9.
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:grub send me to the 4.05 recovery as I expected.
What is the "4.05 recovery" ? Why did you expect it ?
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:update-grub2
It is an alias of update-grub (or the other way around).
vitaliok78 wrote:I would always do HDD low level format
Hard disk low level format is not available to the user. You probably just wrote zeroes to all the disk. This is totally overkill. Erasing signatures with wipefs is more than enough.
Last edited by p.H on 2018-09-06 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

DeathMeddle1337

#7 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Thank you for your response.
I would always do HDD low level format before installing the Debian Linux, this make sure the HDD is functional and let's the Debian installer do it's clean installation work correctly on a fully clean HDD.
I am using an SSD so TRIM should have taken care of that for me. That and the process of creating an encrypted drive in the Debian installer overwrites the drive(s) for security purposes as needed, so there should be nothing left over.

DeathMeddle1337

#8 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Thank you for your reply, each response is in turn.
vitaliok78 wrote:Booted to a live filesystem, mounted the LVM and drive with the tar.gz, ran standard extraction of the archive to root of the LVM. This proceeded correctly, no errors.
Did the old and new installation use a separate partition for /boot ? If yes, did you mount it before restoring the archive and executing other actions ?
As I recall I went with the simplest options during the initial install, that put everything in one encrypted lvm container, and I do see /boot in my backup. It was my understanding that running update-initramfs and update-grub would update those initial boot locations outside of that.

That being said I do remember seeing a /boot/efi when setting up my Ext. HDD through the GUI. I will look into this path further, thanks for the pointer!
vitaliok78 wrote:At this point we have the Laptop running Stretch 4.05, while the archive was made on 4.17.
What are 4.05 and 4.17 ? Stretch is Debian 9.
Kernel Versions, I should have clarified.
vitaliok78 wrote:grub send me to the 4.05 recovery as I expected.
What is the "4.05 recovery" ? Why did you expect it ?
Because I had not run the update-initramfs or upgrade-grub at that point, so I expected it to boot with the last known good information.
vitaliok78 wrote:update-grub2
It is an alias of update-grub (or the other way around).
Thanks for confirming that. I kinda figured but good to know.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

DeathMeddle1337 wrote:As I recall I went with the simplest options during the initial install, that put everything in one encrypted lvm container
The guided installation with encrypted LVM creates a separate boot partition mounted on /boot, as the Debian installer does not support installing GRUB with an encrypted /boot.
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:I do see /boot in my backup
If you created the backup archive when the boot partition was mounted, then its contents in /boot was archived.
But if it was not mounted when you restored the backup, anything in /boot in the archive was restored in the root filesystem, not in the boot partition, leaving its GRUB and kernel files untouched. And GRUB is set up to use the files in the boot partition.
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:It was my understanding that running update-initramfs and update-grub would update those initial boot locations outside of that.
update-initramfs re-generates the initramfs which contains the lines from /etc/crypttab which must be opened early.
update-grub re-generates /boot/grub/grub.cfg which contains the location of the kernel and initramfs files.
But they do not update the location where the core image of GRUB looks for /boot/grub.
Last edited by p.H on 2018-09-06 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

DeathMeddle1337

#10 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

p.H wrote:
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:As I recall I went with the simplest options during the initial install, that put everything in one encrypted lvm container
The guided installation with encrypted LVM creates a separate boot partition mounted on /boot, as the Debian installer does not support installing GRUB with an encrypted /boot.
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:I do see /boot in my backup
If you created the backup archive when the boot partition was mounted, then its contents in /boot was archived.
But if it was not mounted when you restored the backup, anything in /boot in the archive was restored in the root filesystem, not in the boot partition, leaving its GRUB and kernel files untouched. And GRUB is set up to use the files in the boot partition.
DeathMeddle1337 wrote:It was my understanding that running update-initramfs and update-grub would update those initial boot locations outside of that.
These do not update the location where the core part of GRUB looks for /boot/grub.
This is exactly the route I was thinking of after my last post, thank you for confirming this. I will unpack /boot to the correct location and go from there. I will let everyone know the results.

Thanks again.

DeathMeddle1337

#11 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

So, I was able to find the correct boot partition, now it is just a matter of updating the information contained within. I can see it does display the older kernel information. Is anyone aware of a way to do update this with the correct information? Everything is branded so I doubt a simple cut/paste would work.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by p.H »

This should do the trick :
Move the contents of /boot while the partition is not mounted to a temporary directory.
Mount the boot partition. Don't forget to update the UUID in /etc/fstab.
Copy the contents of the temporary directory into /boot.