[Solved]IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Firefox Quantum issues

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-20 10:19

3hre wrote:I'm still dealing with issues here. In addition to the screencap below I am constantly getting these nag notices from Firefox in my browser to update, random errors, tons of lag, and for some reason, despite that I am using Debian, still saying that my Firefox is for Ubuntu. I'm about ready to get a carrier pigeon ... and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached but to summarize as best I can after debian stretch updates it says something about Ubuntu cosmic in release for Firefox next being installed (wtheck is that?)


you never answered this:
stevepusser wrote:There is no Firefox 61.0.1 available in the standard Debian Stretch Repositories that would appear in the apt system. There was one in Sid yesterday...so what does

Code: Select all
    apt policy firefox
    apt policy


Say about your system?

Steve (anticipates a flaming wreck, dons goggles and face mask)
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-09-20 12:33

stevepusser wrote:There is no Firefox 61.0.1 available in the standard Debian Stretch Repositories that would appear in the apt system. There was one in Sid yesterday...so what does
Code: Select all
apt policy firefox
apt policy


Say about your system?

Steve (anticipates a flaming wreck, dons goggles and face mask)


--- and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached

You shouldn't need it upload any image, Just copy paste the output of what it says, please use "code boxes" for the text. But if you think you simply must post some kind of image, see this:Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby 3hre » 2018-09-21 00:23

firefox:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 62.0~b20+build1-0ubuntu0.18.10.1
Version table:
62.0~b20+build1-0ubuntu0.18.10.1 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu cosmic/main amd64 Packages

Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu cosmic/main amd64 Packages
release v=18.10,o=LP-PPA-mozillateam-firefox-next,a=cosmic,n=cosmic,l=Official PPA for Firefox Beta,c=main,b=amd64
origin ppa.launchpad.net
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates/main amd64 Packages
release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=stretch-updates,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin ftp.us.debian.org
500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
release v=9,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
origin security.debian.org
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
release v=9.5,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin ftp.us.debian.org
3hre
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2018-08-07 17:29

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-09-21 00:52

Ok, interesting, please, Show us what your /etc/apt/sources.list file have in it,as well show us the entire file, and do not change anything, show us like it is.
Also if there is anything in the /etc/apt/sources.list/sources.list.d

It looks like you installed Firefox from the Ubuntu ppa's , but you say you are using Debian. Debian is NOT Ubuntu, so why use Ubuntu ppas ?
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs

This is nothing new, there are 100's of others that have done the same thing, and the testimonies are here:
Repo mix-and-match hit parade
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby 3hre » 2018-09-21 03:32

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.5.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20180714-10:25]/ stretch main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.5.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20180714-10:25]/ stretch main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main

(nothing on list d)

Regarding Firefox; I got the tar off of Firefox's page under the Firefox for Linux link and since there was were no further specifications/choices assumed, apparently erroneously, that it was not an issue. Is there a more reliable source? I don't really want to think about having to do this but would it be a good idea to just scrub my HD and do a fresh install?
3hre
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2018-08-07 17:29

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-21 12:03

3hre wrote:...
Regarding Firefox; I got the tar off of Firefox's page under the Firefox for Linux link and since there was were no further specifications/choices assumed, apparently erroneously, that it was not an issue. Is there a more reliable source? I don't really want to think about having to do this but would it be a good idea to just scrub my HD and do a fresh install?


You might be able to figure things out and fix it. Use which, and look in your home for the firefox you said you installed from a tar. If these commands find something, that will give you a hint, you might have two versions. I'm guessing that the ppa ver can be removed with apt. The tar ver you should probably just delete from wherever you untared it to, but check that you did not run some script to install that.
Code: Select all
$ which firefox
$ ls ~/firefox/firefox


why don't you just find the different versions, remove them, and use the debian repository to install firefox-esr?
https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox

p.s. that ppa repo needs to go, find it under /etc/apt/somewhere and get rid of it, probably in a file in sources.list.d? yeah it's there because you showed that apt policy says it is there. If you have installed anything else from there along with another program, or apt upgrade or similar commands then you probably will need to reinstall the os to fix it.
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby stevepusser » 2018-09-21 18:22

Ummm...you installed an Ubuntu version of Firefox, then asked here why

I'm still dealing with issues here. In addition to the screencap below I am constantly getting these nag notices from Firefox in my browser to update, random errors, tons of lag, and for some reason, despite that I am using Debian, still saying that my Firefox is for Ubuntu.


Don't you see the connection? A Debian or real Ubuntu build of Firefox from source also disables the update notifications, but apparently the PPA version you installed does not--maybe they didn't build from source, but just repackaged the Mozilla binaries.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby 3hre » 2018-09-21 20:56

stevepusser wrote:Ummm...you installed an Ubuntu version of Firefox, then asked here why

I'm still dealing with issues here. In addition to the screencap below I am constantly getting these nag notices from Firefox in my browser to update, random errors, tons of lag, and for some reason, despite that I am using Debian, still saying that my Firefox is for Ubuntu.


Don't you see the connection? A Debian or real Ubuntu build of Firefox from source also disables the update notifications, but apparently the PPA version you installed does not--maybe they didn't build from source, but just repackaged the Mozilla binaries.


Yes, I do see the connection. I am just overwhelmed by it at this point, did not know how that happened because there was no indicator on the DL site that it was for Ubuntu, and do not know how to fix it. You know that place you can get sometimes when you've been trying to resolve a problem for so long that your brain gets a little gooey just from the stress alone? That is where I am
3hre
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2018-08-07 17:29

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

Postby debiman » 2018-09-22 07:02

3hre wrote:and do not know how to fix it.

just uninstall that firefox, remove the ppa sources and any other cruft, apt update and apt upgrade, hope for the best.
failing that, reinstall debian.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Previous

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable