Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I add an archive folder to all mailboxes on my server

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jaytelford

How do I add an archive folder to all mailboxes on my server

#1 Post by jaytelford »

Hi Guys,

I have been getting my mail server all set up and running, so that I can move from G-Suite as I was paying Google for a whole load of services that I wasn't using - services that all required access to my information/details, when all I needed was email. So; now I have my mail server working, but I cant figure out how to add an Archive folder to the mailboxes.

When I look in my subscriptions file, I see things like Trash, Spam and so on but there is no Archive.

Can I just make an entry on a new line within the subscriptions file and call it Archive? Would that add the Archive folder to my mailboxes?

Thanks
Jay

arzgi

Re: How do I add an archive folder to all mailboxes on my se

#2 Post by arzgi »

jaytelford wrote: When I look in my subscriptions file, I see things like Trash, Spam and so on but there is no Archive.

Can I just make an entry on a new line within the subscriptions file and call it Archive? Would that add the Archive folder to my mailboxes?
That's the general rule, they are just directories. But you should tell about your mail server, what program/s are you using, etc. before any spesific advice can be given.

jaytelford

#3 Post by jaytelford »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry that I didn't give much more information. I just assumed; wrongly perhaps, that it would be obvious what I was referring too.

I am using Postfix/Dovecot and connecting to the server via IMAP over a TSL/SSL connection.

I use the following apps to connect

OSX - Apple Mail.app
WIndows 10 - Em Mail
Pixel XL - Android Pie - The Built in Gmail app

When I go to the following directory on my server

Code: Select all

/var/qmail/mailnames/domainname.domain/username/Maildir
I see a file called subscriptions and reading the file with vim, I see the following subscriptions (which are folders that are shown in the apps I use to connect to my email account)

Trash
Queue
Sent
Drafts
Spam

So my question is, if I just add Archive to that list, will this add a folder called Archive to my mailbox?

Also, if this is the case, then I can do that for my own mailboxes, but to save having to do this for every mailbox that I create in the future - how would I get Archive to be automatically added to the subscription list?

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

jaytelford wrote: I am using Postfix/Dovecot and connecting to the server via IMAP over a TSL/SSL connection.

I use the following apps to connect

OSX - Apple Mail.app
WIndows 10 - Em Mail
Pixel XL - Android Pie - The Built in Gmail app

When I go to the following directory on my server

/var/qmail/mailnames/domainname.domain/username/Maildir
I see a file called subscriptions and reading the file with vim, I see the following subscriptions (which are folders that are shown in the apps I use to connect to my email account)

Trash
Queue
Sent
Drafts
Spam

So my question is, if I just add Archive to that list, will this add a folder called Archive to my mailbox?

Also, if this is the case, then I can do that for my own mailboxes, but to save having to do this for every mailbox that I create in the future - how would I get Archive to be automatically added to the subscription list?
Folders are Windows terminlogy, unix/linux have directories.

Just add Archive directory, and see if it works. You might also open terminal, go to Maildir, and use command

ls -l
and give same options to Archive by chmod.

jaytelford

#5 Post by jaytelford »

Folders are Windows terminlogy, unix/linux have directories.

Just add Archive directory, and see if it works. You might also open terminal, go to Maildir, and use command

ls -l
and give same options to Archive by chmod.
Thanks for your reply. I work between Windows and Linux so I guess some of my Windows head slipped in. Wasn't intentional.

You know I can't believe that I didn't think about doing ls -a to see what hidden directories were there. I see now that there are various hidden directories like .Sent, .Drafts and so on.

So if I just literally create a .Archive folder - that should work?

Mail Servers are extremely new to me as up until now I have been using G-Suite in its various forms but wanted to bring everything together to make the best use of my server and keep control of my own data now that I will be moving forward with a project that I have been planning.

Hence, setting up my own mail server.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

jaytelford wrote: So if I just literally create a .Archive folder - that should work?
Yes, if the other dirs are also same format.

Remember, you can't brick you computer with software. Just take notes what you do, so you can take step back, if you don't get desired effect. Error messages are not bad, they give you direction, where to go.