Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[RESOLVED] i3 - without gaps?!?!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[RESOLVED] i3 - without gaps?!?!

#1 Post by cds60601 »

I was hoping to see i3-gaps in the packages but to my surprise, it was not. Is there an equivalent?

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by cds60601 on 2018-09-14 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

GarryRicketson

Re: i3 - without gaps?!?!

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

key words=

Code: Select all

i3-gaps for Debian , in Debian repositories 
Lot's of results , but nothing in Debian repos,
https://github.com/maestrogerardo/i3-gaps-deb
What's the purpose?

i3-gaps simply does not exist in Debian (so far).
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=130543
==============================
https://i3wm.org/docs/repositories.html
3. Debian repository
Our Debian repository contains packages which are automatically built a few minutes after every commit. To use it, run the following commands:
=============
https://github.com/mmeinert/debian-i3gaps-from-scratch
===============
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137028
=======================================

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

^ a very convoluted way of saying LMGTFY, but in essence it's all there.

op, you should say a polite thank you to garryricketson; he just did all your work for free.
cds60601 wrote:I was hoping to see i3-gaps in the packages but to my surprise, it was not. Is there an equivalent?

Cheers
Chris
i3 is the original. it is in the repositories.
what other "equivalent" do you need?
i3-gaps is just a pimped fork of i3.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

debiman wrote:^ a very convoluted way of saying LMGTFY, but in essence it's all there.

op, you should say a polite thank you to garryricketson; he just did all your work for free.
I don't recall asking for a general search of the internet for a possible deb version hosted elsewhere as (IIRC) adding unofficial packages introduces possible issues..
Under that guise, the question I posed is correct and does not require searching beyond the official repos.

I DO know about the packages in the Deb repos as I went as far as installing a virtual of Testing to see if I could replicate what I currently use.
My question was simply looking for a confirmation to what I had found and not found (as I could have easily overlooked something).

Whether or not Gaps is a pimped out version of i3 makes no difference to me. I was seeking a specific package that does not appear to exist in the repos.
I apologize if my question asking for a confirmation to my findings upset anyone or caused folks to wander off the confides of the Debian domain.

...end

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

cds60601 wrote:I DO know about the packages in the Deb repos as I went as far as installing a virtual of Testing to see if I could replicate what I currently use.
My question was simply looking for a confirmation to what I had found and not found (as I could have easily overlooked something).
Stating that up front could have saved you from a lecture. To be fair, your original question and thread title screams of someone not bothering to look past the first search result. How unexpected that someone couldn't read your mind..
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

kopper wrote:How unexpected that someone couldn't read your mind..
The original question posed, simply asked for a yes or no. Nothing more, nothing less - it does not require one to read someones mind to understand the context of the question. If one wishes to try to read ones mind, then I suppose it could go off into the woods. Sometimes all it takes is simply a yes or no. Even a snarky yes or no is adequate.

To Garry - I DO appreciate your input. It's always been helpful so thank you for providing options.

...end

GarryRicketson

Re: [RESOLVED] i3 - without gaps?!?!

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome,
Sorry about the rest, actually it was intended to just show how I came to the same conclusion, , No there is no is i3-gaps (with gaps) in the Debian Repos,
but yes it is available outside the repos, that was the part that was not clear to me, I did not know you would not want anything from outside the Debian repos,..
In other words, if I had just said no, that would be fine, but I wanted to back it up with what I found in the searches. Any way, guess that is about it.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

cds60601 wrote:The original question posed, simply asked for a yes or no.
i wonder how you would have reacted if somebody had done precisely that.
i will sure remember that you like monosyllabistic answers.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [RESOLVED] i3 - without gaps?!?!

#9 Post by None1975 »

I3 gaps is not in the Debian 9 repos. If you want to use it, you must compile it. Please note that i3-gaps does not add any dependencies to i3, so the packages listed are the same needed to install i3 itself.
Here is list of packages, needed for compiling i3 gaps:

libxcb-keysyms1-dev libpango1.0-dev libxcb-util0-dev xcb libxcb1-dev libxcb-icccm4-dev libyajl-dev libev-dev libxcb-xkb-dev libxcb-cursor-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxcb-xinerama0-dev libxkbcommon-x11-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xrm0 libxcb-xrm-dev
If you haven't installed i3 before, you will likely get compilation errors due to missing packages. To solve that, install all required dependencies and rerun

make && sudo make install
P.S.
Also, do not forget to install package

git
and

build-essential
Without them, you will not be able to install.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github