Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Way to revert back to Thunderbird's previous version?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kcbagr

Way to revert back to Thunderbird's previous version?

#1 Post by kcbagr »

Debian Stretch updated and in the process updated Thunderbird to v60. Thunderbird's update disabled two essential add-ons I was using: GNotifier and HTitle. GNotifier gives me native linux desktop notifications. And HTitle hides the completely useless Titlebar. I can't live without GNotifier.

Is there a way to uninstall Thunderbird 60 and revert back to whatever version was before that?

bw123

Re: Way to revert back to Thunderbird's previous version?

#2 Post by bw123 »

I still show 52.8.0-1~deb9u1available in the repo.

Code: Select all

$ apt policy thunderbird
thunderbird:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:60.0-3~deb9u1
  Version table:
     1:60.0-3~deb9u1 500
        500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
     1:52.8.0-1~deb9u1 500
        500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=apt+inst ... ic+version

I don't know about downgrading and keeping the current config, if you try it let people know how it goes? Thanks.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kcbagr

#3 Post by kcbagr »

It's working so far. I guess the hard part will be lasting until the next ESR. Hopefully by then I'll find a better mail client cause Thunderbird is continuing to go down hill fast.

Linux really, really needs a new go-to Mail Client. None of the available options do the core essential things and Mozilla is continuing to deteriorate in quality, not fixing critical bugs like unnecessary titlebars etc. Evolution is the closest but it fails to display HTML emails as plain text like Thunderbird does. Geary is a joke as it is missing critical features.

Essential Mail Client features:
1) ability to configure SMTP aliases
2) ability to set all incoming and outgoing mail to Plain Text only
3) ability to store mail in a local folder "within" the mail client
4) integrates with Native Desktop Notifications

jibberjabber

#4 Post by jibberjabber »

Linux really, really needs a new go-to Mail Client.
Why ? I have all ways used mutt and it can be configured to meet any ones needs.
That is what I use on Unix, Minix3, OpenBsd and also the Linux's, Why bother with all the others, ? You are right most of them really don't work that well.
Of course if you really think there is a need for a "new wheel", you could try to develop a better one, or hire a team of programmers /developers, and pay them to develop something special that suits your needs.
Ahh, maybe you just expect someone else to do it all for you, and for free,...
In that case the best "free lunch" I know of is mutt.
---------- edited -----------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt_(email_client)
Mutt has hundreds of configuration directives and commands. It allows for changing all the key bindings and making keyboard macros for complex actions, as well as the colors and the layout of most of the interface. Through variants of a concept known as "hooks", many of its settings can be changed based on criteria such as current mailbox or outgoing message recipients. There are also many patches and extensions available that add functionality, such as NNTP support or a sidebar similar to those often found in graphical mail clients. ---- snip---
Mutt is often used by security professionals or security-conscious users because of its smaller attack surface compared with other clients that ship with a web browser rendering engine or a JavaScript interpreter.[9] In relation to Transport Layer Security, Mutt can be configured to trust certificates on first use, and not to use older, less secure versions of the Transport Layer Security protocol.[10]
-------- edited again ---------
https://vtluug.org/wiki/Mutt
"All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less."[1]

Mutt is a text-based email client for Unix-like systems. It was originally written by Michael Elkins in 1995 and released under the GPL version 2 or any later version.[2]
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

it's possible that native notifications can be enabled through some about:config setting.
try Flipping mail.biff.use_system_alert.

or try seamonkey. it definitely works on that.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

On principle it's not advisable to revert to a previous version; however, you'll find it in /var/cache/apt/archives
In the terminal just remove the current version, change directory to the archives directory and install it with dpkg -i
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

rivenathos

#7 Post by rivenathos »

Slightly confused here... I have the newest version of Thunderbird installed, and when the client is open on another desktop, I not only get a notification sound, but also get a visual notification on my screen just underneath my date/time in the upper panel. I am using GNOME shell fully updated on stable.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

52.8 has security issues fixed in the 52.9 stretch version, which is no longer in the repo for some version. But you can still get the packages from snapshot.debian.org:

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/thun ... %7Edeb9u1/

I think that the Pale Moon developers were talking about a fork of TB 52, too...

There is no Quantum, there is only XUL.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

rivenathos wrote:Slightly confused here... I have the newest version of Thunderbird installed, and when the client is open on another desktop, I not only get a notification sound, but also get a visual notification on my screen just underneath my date/time in the upper panel. I am using GNOME shell fully updated on stable.
i don't know how this works under gnome, but i have seen thunderbird providing their own notifications, instead of using the system notification daemon.
if that doesn't work as desired on newer versions, there is a config key that one can try to flip from false to true.
might need to create it first.
btw, on TB the "about:config" equivalent is accessible through preferences => config editor, iirc.