Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop gone and .desktop files no Icons

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
BhooshanAJ

Desktop gone and .desktop files no Icons

#1 Post by BhooshanAJ »

So a week or two ago after an update. I seem to have lost my desktop and the Desktop section of the Gnome Tweak Tool entirely and the .desktop files, which previously always assumed the icons of their respective applications.. Now just show as .desktop files.
Even in the /usr/share/applications/ folder.

Is this something that has just been changed in a recent update or is it my doing somehow?

USING:-
Debian Testing. Kernal 4.18.6-1 amd64
Gnome 3.30
GNOME Tweaks 3.30.0

stevepusser

Re: Desktop gone and .desktop files no Icons

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What was updated?

I'm sorry if I have to be a bit hard here, but testing is not a release. You should have at least have enough knowledge to find the apt history and tell us what was updated at the time the problem started, otherwise you should stick with stable until you are more familiar with how Debian works.
MX Linux packager and developer

BhooshanAJ

#3 Post by BhooshanAJ »

I am fairly familiar. And what I am not familiar with I cannot just learn by using stable for years. I have to dive in at some point so I did. I needed a rolling release debian.
And I guessed someone would say this.
I wasn't sure if this would be relevant but I suspected that me enabling/un-commenting WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf might have been responsible. But I am not sure.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

BhooshanAJ wrote:a rolling release debian.
That's not going to happen. When there are distros, that are 'rolling relases', why Debian?

BhooshanAJ

#5 Post by BhooshanAJ »

arzgi wrote:why Debian?
Simply because I liked it. I tried other pure rolling release. But Debian fit my needs.

Can we get to the question at hand? Does Wayland and Gnome Tweak and "Desktop" have any conflicts?
I think last resort I will just have to uninstall/purge gdm3 and reinstall it. And xorg. If needed. That I admit would be kind of extreme (and possibly amateur).

Feel like noob bashing on-coming. Not to be rude.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

BhooshanAJ wrote:Feel like noob bashing on-coming
Pro Tip: grow a thicker skin.

Using testing alone is unwise because of the mandatory transition delay from sid, try adding some more sources to fill in the holes:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... le_literal

Disclaimer: I've never tried this method, I prefer stable+backports.
deadbang

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

BhooshanAJ wrote:I wasn't sure if this would be relevant but I suspected that me enabling/un-commenting WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf might have been responsible. But I am not sure.
well have you made sure?
tried UNdoing it?