Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Debian Stretch 9.4 automatic volume reduction

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debiman

Re: Debian Stretch 9.4 automatic volume reduction

#31 Post by debiman »

thank you for your patience, bw123.
i gave up around here...

that1guy

#32 Post by that1guy »

bw123 wrote:Okay, here's my advice:

On a clean debian stable install:
Confirm the volume is changed when headphone plugged in after purging pulseaudio

p.s. yea i'm your daddy

p.p.s.stillwaiting to find out what the ubuntu thing(s) you installed when you wasn't paying attention? might be in /var/log/apt/history.log
well since you're not getting paid to help, I can see why you enjoy trying to provoke reactions in others.

Proof: You'll respond to this.

debiman wrote:thank you for your patience, bw123.
i gave up around here...
Cool, have a nice day.

that1guy

#33 Post by that1guy »

Just reinstalled debian, and the same issue persists. I played a youtube video on firefox on a fresh startup, as soon as plugged in my speaker jack, the volume dropped down low after about 1 second. Same thing with headphones and anything audio related. I am not finding any solutions anywhere, let alone anyone else going through the same thing.

that1guy

SOLVED

#34 Post by that1guy »

Ok mark this as solved.

command:

apt-get -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64

I discovered this by avoiding the old method of making my wifi work like I would during previous installments of debian by using many commands. All I had to do was update the one thing above, and I got my wifi working AND the volume reduction is gone. :lol: If others had this problem, there's the solution.

After install debian stretch 9, my wifi wouldn't work. So i'd find a work around forcing the firmware to be install through terminal.

Taken directly from another post in another forum:

If it has been added only starting from the 4.14 kernel (and not backported), then Debian 9's 4.9 kernel is not good enough (indeed there's no CONFIG_R8822BE option enabled in Debian 4.9.0-8-amd64 kernel when looking in the config file).

You already got the package having the firmware from stretch-backports, but that's not enough: you must also add the stretch-backports repository and get the newer kernel from it, which will make use of the firmware.

In an non chicken-and-eggs problem that would be, once set up after following previously linked instructions:

apt-get -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64

kevinthefixer

#35 Post by kevinthefixer »

So please edit your OP's title to reflect its solved status. While you're at it, could you tell us what audio hardware you have?

Code: Select all

inxi -A

that1guy

#36 Post by that1guy »

kevinthefixer wrote:So please edit your OP's title to reflect its solved status. While you're at it, could you tell us what audio hardware you have?

inxi -A
inxi isn't a valid command on my system;

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC295 Analog [ALC295 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and...

lspci | grep -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)

kevinthefixer

Re: [SOLVED] Debian Stretch 9.4 automatic volume reduction

#37 Post by kevinthefixer »

apt install inxi
Somehow I'm not surprised it's Intel audio. inxi can come in very useful.