Firefox bullshit

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Firefox bullshit

Postby M51 » 2018-09-29 22:07

Just did an apt-get upgrade on Stretch and got my Firefox replaced with the new Quantum bullshit...and all my add-ons are gone.

The particular add-ons I use have no equivalents under the new webextensions model.

This kind of bullshit should not happen on a stable apt-get update.

Someone at Debian is asleep at the wheel, or failing their duty miserably.
M51
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby Ardouos » 2018-09-29 22:34

M51 wrote:Just did an apt-get upgrade on Stretch and got my Firefox replaced with the new Quantum bullshit...and all my add-ons are gone.

The particular add-ons I use have no equivalents under the new webextensions model.

This kind of bullshit should not happen on a stable apt-get update.

Someone at Debian is asleep at the wheel, or failing their duty miserably.


That is more of an issue with Firefox and what extensions you are using (more so the maintainers of the addons). Debian upgrades Firefox to the latest ESR as the old becomes EOL. You don't expect them to provide you with a browser riddled with security holes?

You might want to try Palemoon to see if they are compatible with your addons.
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby M51 » 2018-09-29 22:44

Oh I don't know...how about a f$&%ing message during the update like "Hey we can't be assed to deal with add-ons, so we're just gonna puke all over the settings you've chosen for your system." ?

Instead I find out when I get bombarded by f$&%ing popup ads.

If they can't maintain my chosen configuration, then yes I DO EXPECT to be left with software with flaws (feel free to notify me of this situation though)...not pushed willy nilly into something I don't want. Hell, that's the exact kind of bulls&%t that Microsoft pushes on Windows users.

The fact is, my chosen configuration was far safer than anything available on the latest Firefox.
M51
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby sunrat » 2018-09-29 22:56

How about you wash your mouth out with soap and mind your language in future?
Debian would not have done this if it were possible to keep the old ESR. Apparently there was no way to continue supporting it and maintain security.
Learn to live with the new version and go find new replacements for the extensions that are no longer supported, like the rest of us have done.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
User avatar
sunrat
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: 2006-08-29 09:12
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-29 23:03

M51 wrote:...
The fact is, my chosen configuration was far safer than anything available on the latest Firefox.


You know, I have been suspecting the same thing myself. I browsed with javascript disabled by noscript, and ads blocked. Now I browse with javascript totally disabled and no images at all. Still pretty safe, just not as flexible.

You said, "The fact is..." and I suspect you're maybe right, but Do you have any real information though, to back up your claim?

Do you think you could downgrade? The old ver is still in the repo I just checked...

Code: Select all
$ apt policy firefox-esr
firefox-esr:
  Installed: 60.2.1esr-1~deb9u1
  Candidate: 60.2.1esr-1~deb9u1
  Version table:
 *** 60.2.1esr-1~deb9u1 500
        500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     52.9.0esr-1~deb9u1 500
        500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby M51 » 2018-09-29 23:10

sunrat,

There are no equivalent add-ons to replace what I was using. Being unable to support an older version doesn't excuse Debian's failure to warn during the update.


God the web is f$&%ed up. If it isn't possible to keep a browser patched for security without a herculean corporate effort, then it should all be thrown out the window and replaced with something that is. Mozilla showed its true colors when they allowed EME. Mozilla is no better than Google and Microsoft anymore, along with the W3C and Tim Berners-"I'm a f&$%ing sellout"-Lee.
M51
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby M51 » 2018-09-29 23:13

bw123 wrote:
M51 wrote:...
The fact is, my chosen configuration was far safer than anything available on the latest Firefox.


You know, I have been suspecting the same thing myself. I browsed with javascript disabled by noscript, and ads blocked. Now I browse with javascript totally disabled and no images at all. Still pretty safe, just not as flexible.

You said, "The fact is..." and I suspect you're maybe right, but Do you have any real information though, to back up your claim?

Do you think you could downgrade? The old ver is still in the repo I just checked...



I can downgrade. It's the being caught off guard that pissed me off. Yes I have plenty of evidence...I monitor all my web traffic with local proxies (owasp-zap, webscarab, etc.) and have several add-ons that have no direct equivalent (e.g. request policy continued) as well as a couple custom ones I wrote myself.
M51
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby Bulkley » 2018-09-29 23:27

sunrat wrote:How about you wash your mouth out with soap and mind your language in future?


+1
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby jibberjabber » 2018-09-30 00:21

sunrat wrote:
How about you wash your mouth out with soap and mind your language in future?

+100

Just using the %@&%!! does not make it any cleaner. I bet this guy even went college to learn how to write like this.

The fact is, my chosen configuration was far safer than anything available on the latest Firefox

So why did you upadate, or was it a upgrade, there is a difference you know ?
Maybe if you sober up and get sensible, and give some clear details, like which plugins, etc. and drop all the , well you know, all the BS, some one could and will help.

Someone at Debian is asleep at the wheel, or failing their duty miserably.

Errr, did you pay them ? In what way is anybody obligated to do anything ? Did you know that Debian is produced and maintained mostly by volunteers, willing to share what they produce, at no charge ? Good grief, get logical , if you don't like the "free meal", go to another "soup kitchen". If you think you can do better, maybe learn how to make your own meal.
I don't know, or understand why the OP brings this into the topic, :
Mozilla is no better than Google and Microsoft anymore, along with the W3C and Tim Berners-"I'm a f&$%ing sellout"-Lee.

But I find it rather offensive, Tim Berners Lee has done a lot for all of us, and still is trying to.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/the-man-who-created-the-world-wide-web-has-some-regrets
============
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1482211/Three-loud-cheers-for-the-father-of-the-web.html
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"
jibberjabber
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 2016-01-10 16:58

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby M51 » 2018-09-30 01:00

jibberjabber wrote:
sunrat wrote:
How about you wash your mouth out with soap and mind your language in future?

+100

Just using the %@&%!! does not make it any cleaner. I bet this guy even went college to learn how to write like this.

It's not meant to be cleaner. It's a style, and I like it. I don't care if you don't.
jibberjabber wrote:

The fact is, my chosen configuration was far safer than anything available on the latest Firefox

So why did you upadate, or was it a upgrade, there is a difference you know ?
Maybe if you sober up and get sensible, and give some clear details, like which plugins, etc. and drop all the , well you know, all the BS, some one could and will help.
I think you are trying to ask if I did an upgrade or dist-upgrade, but your english is pretty bad. It wasn't a dist-upgrade, and I'm not looking for help. Thanks anyway.
jibberjabber wrote:
Someone at Debian is asleep at the wheel, or failing their duty miserably.

Errr, did you pay them ? In what way is anybody obligated to do anything ? Did you know that Debian is produced and maintained mostly by volunteers, willing to share what they produce, at no charge ? Good grief, get logical , if you don't like the "free meal", go to another "soup kitchen". If you think you can do better, maybe learn how to make your own meal.
No one is obligated to do anything, but people should attempt to follow the practices that they claim to follow. It seems Debian fails at this more frequently as time goes by.
jibberjabber wrote:
I don't know, or understand why the OP brings this into the topic, :
Mozilla is no better than Google and Microsoft anymore, along with the W3C and Tim Berners-"I'm a f&$%ing sellout"-Lee.

But I find it rather offensive, Tim Berners Lee has done a lot for all of us, and still is trying to.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/the-man-who-created-the-world-wide-web-has-some-regrets
============
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1482211/Three-loud-cheers-for-the-father-of-the-web.html


It's pretty self explanatory. Tim Berner's-Lee's Solid project is built on top of the spying, privacy invading crap that his precious W3C mandates in its so-called standards.
I can link to stuff too: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/09/o ... membership

What we need is a platform built from the ground up to support mandatory privacy protection with no way for 'sites' to profile, track, and exploit users. Browsers (and the web in general) are a lost cause.

I posted to vent that the so-called Debian maintainer for Firefox isn't doing their damn job. It may be an unpaid, voluntary job, but it is a job with responsibilities nevertheless. They should take it seriously, or let someone else do it. I probably should've directed an email at them specifically, but whatever.
M51
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby jibberjabber » 2018-09-30 04:18

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I guess you can't help it . I really hope you get better.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"
jibberjabber
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 2016-01-10 16:58

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-09-30 08:43

I think a refund is in order here, you should write to the developers and request this, I am sure they would oblige. :D
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby debiman » 2018-09-30 09:48

+1
+100
+infinity
what is this, kindergarten?

venting, ranting, cursing, bile spitting, all in the name of debian.
while my perfectly civil threads are being locked because they're "not about Linux" :roll:
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-30 11:37

M51 wrote:
...I posted to vent that the so-called Debian maintainer for Firefox isn't doing their damn job. It may be an unpaid, voluntary job, but it is a job with responsibilities nevertheless. They should take it seriously, or let someone else do it. I probably should've directed an email at them specifically, but whatever.


You're full of crap, take a look at the bug page the maintainer is working pretty hard solving issues. There's actually a bug about your issue https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=908677 I don't think it was the maintainer's job to inform you of aything. I guess it was a shock to you that you didn't realize what the upgrade meant, but that's a communication problem. Maybe you could open up some lines of communication? Mailing lists, forums, irc, whatever.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Firefox bullshit

Postby pawRoot » 2018-09-30 12:00

debiman wrote:while my perfectly civil threads are being locked because they're "not about Linux" :roll:


I have noticed that too.
User avatar
pawRoot
 
Posts: 572
Joined: 2016-12-28 18:26
Location: Poland

Next

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable