Syncing an Iphone under linux?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Syncing an Iphone under linux?

Postby RoyFokker » 2018-10-02 23:51

I still have a flip phone and am considering getting a used Iphone SE(discontinued Sept. 12) because it is the smallest Smartphone(there are Unihertz smartphones that are perhaps too small). I know it has drawbacks and especially alot of linux zealots will hiss, but I may likely go ahead as a used SE shouldn't be a big investment. I also hate the "android tax" from the architectural mistake of heavily using java that leads to inefficiencies.

1)How can I connect to my Debian testing laptop? From reading libimobiledevice can do it.

2)Would it be difficult & involve constant battling if I want/have to upgrade iOS?

3)Would it be possible in the worst case to get a usb flash drive that can connect to an Iphone and standard usb or are alot of files hidden by applications so that it wouldn't work?
RoyFokker

Re: Syncing an Iphone under linux?

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2018-10-03 05:28

1. Likely not. It aparently used to work to a limited extent - I haven’t had any success in the last couple of years. Probably need the very latest code from git for any chance.

2. Yes.

3. No.

My current approach is a win vm with itunes and ‘cloud sync/share’ with owncloud.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby RoyFokker » 2018-10-03 09:11

WTF?

On option 3:
Even using a usb flash drive doesn't work? Why is that, is it because most files are attached to apps as a database and not viewable as a directory structure?

Hmm if that is the case I may have to rethink the SE which is a shame as it is the only non Phablet...
RoyFokker

Postby pylkko » 2018-10-03 12:12

I have no experience with iPhones, but I would presume that just as with Android phones, you can install ftp clients or other similar protocol clients and share files over a LAN. Many file manager applications have inbuilt ftp clients for this. This, of course, does not work if the OS does not allow access to the files at all (may be the case).
pylkko

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-10-17 01:37

pylkko wrote:This, of course, does not work if the OS does not allow access to the files at all (may be the case).

This sort of thing is why I stick to Droids. Open-source ROM on mine and of course rooted. I use the Amaze file manager which is also open-source and includes an FTP server.
kevinthefixer

Postby RoyFokker » 2018-10-17 22:03

My SIM card has not come in yet so I have not been using it much. I did install the Mega.co.nz(file sharing/hosting site)app and I think I downloaded a movie onto the device. However, I tried to play it in PlayerXtreme(video player), but I think I put it in some folder that PlayerXtreme cannot access... I think I can figure it eventually somehow, maybe I just have to install some file manager type app.

I agree that Apple sucks, but no company makes small smartphones. I have been mulling returning it:
1) But its small size and the fact that it is so locked down will hopefully prevent me from using it as heavily as most people who have become total smartphone addicts.
2) Co-workers tell me that even the smaller Android phones(which are still much bigger), tend to be underpowered since small phones seem to be associated with lower tier/lesser quality devices. The trend is huge Phablet like devices because most people are enraptured and using them all the time to watch movies, etc.. I think the average person now does far more computing on their smartphones than their laptops/desktop or they don't have even have a real pc.
RoyFokker

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-10-18 05:03

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact that is very nice and runs an arm64 8-core processor — that's better than my laptops... :cry:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby debiman » 2018-10-21 14:15

RoyFokker wrote:Co-workers tell me that even the smaller Android phones(which are still much bigger), tend to be underpowered since small phones seem to be associated with lower tier/lesser quality devices. The trend is huge Phablet like devices because most people are enraptured and using them all the time to watch movies, etc.. I think the average person now does far more computing on their smartphones than their laptops/desktop or they don't have even have a real pc.

i tend to disagree - i used to have a totally underpowered android phone that i bought because of its large screen size...
if i were you i would find another device.
android is definitely more accessible (but not without problems either).
the good thing about (android) smartphones is that the market is so saturated, and they are easy to send around the whole world, that you can easily find your dream device and order it.
i personally ALWAYS by used.
here's a search for small and fairly new phones:
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?n ... nchesMax=4
you can refine it much further:
https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3
debiman

Postby oldboy » 2018-10-23 02:15

I used to be able to transfer files from iPad to desktop Debian, on iOS 11 on iPad. However, once iOS 12 came out, it is broken. Now I use an app in ipad and iPhone, Readle and FileExploer. Both can connect to Debian, and can copy files both way (download and upload). I can do this over my local wireless lan.
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia
oldboy

Return to General Questions