Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Syncing an Iphone under linux?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
RoyFokker

Syncing an Iphone under linux?

#1 Post by RoyFokker »

I still have a flip phone and am considering getting a used Iphone SE(discontinued Sept. 12) because it is the smallest Smartphone(there are Unihertz smartphones that are perhaps too small). I know it has drawbacks and especially alot of linux zealots will hiss, but I may likely go ahead as a used SE shouldn't be a big investment. I also hate the "android tax" from the architectural mistake of heavily using java that leads to inefficiencies.

1)How can I connect to my Debian testing laptop? From reading libimobiledevice can do it.

2)Would it be difficult & involve constant battling if I want/have to upgrade iOS?

3)Would it be possible in the worst case to get a usb flash drive that can connect to an Iphone and standard usb or are alot of files hidden by applications so that it wouldn't work?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Syncing an Iphone under linux?

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

1. Likely not. It aparently used to work to a limited extent - I haven’t had any success in the last couple of years. Probably need the very latest code from git for any chance.

2. Yes.

3. No.

My current approach is a win vm with itunes and ‘cloud sync/share’ with owncloud.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

RoyFokker

#3 Post by RoyFokker »

WTF?

On option 3:
Even using a usb flash drive doesn't work? Why is that, is it because most files are attached to apps as a database and not viewable as a directory structure?

Hmm if that is the case I may have to rethink the SE which is a shame as it is the only non Phablet...

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

I have no experience with iPhones, but I would presume that just as with Android phones, you can install ftp clients or other similar protocol clients and share files over a LAN. Many file manager applications have inbuilt ftp clients for this. This, of course, does not work if the OS does not allow access to the files at all (may be the case).

kevinthefixer

#5 Post by kevinthefixer »

pylkko wrote:This, of course, does not work if the OS does not allow access to the files at all (may be the case).
This sort of thing is why I stick to Droids. Open-source ROM on mine and of course rooted. I use the Amaze file manager which is also open-source and includes an FTP server.

RoyFokker

#6 Post by RoyFokker »

My SIM card has not come in yet so I have not been using it much. I did install the Mega.co.nz(file sharing/hosting site)app and I think I downloaded a movie onto the device. However, I tried to play it in PlayerXtreme(video player), but I think I put it in some folder that PlayerXtreme cannot access... I think I can figure it eventually somehow, maybe I just have to install some file manager type app.

I agree that Apple sucks, but no company makes small smartphones. I have been mulling returning it:
1) But its small size and the fact that it is so locked down will hopefully prevent me from using it as heavily as most people who have become total smartphone addicts.
2) Co-workers tell me that even the smaller Android phones(which are still much bigger), tend to be underpowered since small phones seem to be associated with lower tier/lesser quality devices. The trend is huge Phablet like devices because most people are enraptured and using them all the time to watch movies, etc.. I think the average person now does far more computing on their smartphones than their laptops/desktop or they don't have even have a real pc.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact that is very nice and runs an arm64 8-core processor — that's better than my laptops... :cry:
deadbang

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

RoyFokker wrote:Co-workers tell me that even the smaller Android phones(which are still much bigger), tend to be underpowered since small phones seem to be associated with lower tier/lesser quality devices. The trend is huge Phablet like devices because most people are enraptured and using them all the time to watch movies, etc.. I think the average person now does far more computing on their smartphones than their laptops/desktop or they don't have even have a real pc.
i tend to disagree - i used to have a totally underpowered android phone that i bought because of its large screen size...

if i were you i would find another device.
android is definitely more accessible (but not without problems either).
the good thing about (android) smartphones is that the market is so saturated, and they are easy to send around the whole world, that you can easily find your dream device and order it CHEAP.

i personally ALWAYS buy used because I can get last years supermodel for a fraction of the price.

here's a search for small and fairly new phones:
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?n ... nchesMax=4
you can refine it much further:
https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

edited for clarification & grammar
Last edited by debiman on 2018-10-26 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

oldboy

#9 Post by oldboy »

I used to be able to transfer files from iPad to desktop Debian, on iOS 11 on iPad. However, once iOS 12 came out, it is broken. Now I use an app in ipad and iPhone, Readle and FileExploer. Both can connect to Debian, and can copy files both way (download and upload). I can do this over my local wireless lan.
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol:

milomak

#10 Post by milomak »

what does syncing entail exactly?

different from what is on these pages?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

kevinthefixer

#11 Post by kevinthefixer »

milomak wrote:what does syncing entail exactly?
The short answer is making sure both devices have the same files on them. Of course it gets much more complicated; you might start by reading man rsync if you want to get into the nuts & bolts.

milomak

#12 Post by milomak »

kevinthefixer wrote:
milomak wrote:what does syncing entail exactly?
The short answer is making sure both devices have the same files on them. Of course it gets much more complicated; you might start by reading man rsync if you want to get into the nuts & bolts.
but surely all of this is cloud based?

i genuinely cannot think of the last time i had to sync my phone to a computer
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

jmgibson1981

#13 Post by jmgibson1981 »

As I understand it part of Apples move to combat piracy is why things that used to work, don't anymore when it comes to accessing iOS filesystems remotely. They intentionally break it. This is a common cycle for linux / apple. Sync, break, new release sync, break, new release sync, break. Been that way long as I can recall. I stopped using Apple devices for this exact reason. Even now I have trouble connecting my tablet by usb, but at least I have an FTP server app for my android tablet & phone. Do whatever I want with it, no sweat.

One way to do it is with a Windows virtual machine, but that brings it's own difficulties. Anecdotally have heard that it is a good way to brick a device.

kevinthefixer

#14 Post by kevinthefixer »

milomak wrote:but surely all of this is cloud based? i genuinely cannot think of the last time i had to sync my phone to a computer
Mainly what we're talking about here is stuff like sending photos from 'phone to desktop, a full sync wouldn't make much sense. I often do that, and (less often) send full TWRP system backups from a Droid to my main desktop.