Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Open applications disappear from view and randomly closing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
K.Pete

Open applications disappear from view and randomly closing

#1 Post by K.Pete »

Hi everyone, I'm using linux for 4 years now, but I never had an issue that I could not resolve myself with a quick search on the web, until now. Honestly I can't really describe it to a search engine. I'm on Debian 9 xfce fully upgraded, and this problem started only today.
So when I'm on Firefox everything from the app disappears like it's not even running, but when I move my cursor around my wallpaper, parts of it return to view, and eventually I can get everything back in sight by moving the cursor. Like I'm copypasting firefox back to existence bit by bit.This also happened with Thunderbird and Opera browser. First I thought it's a mozilla issue, but opera acts the same. I also use firejail sandbox to browse the net, but thats not the issue since it happens without it. Also sometimes firefox randomly closes without any error massages, or when I close a tab the whole browser closes without warning me about open tabs.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? I can't imagine getting a virus since I'm playing it very safe even with linux standards, but I haven't upgraded before these weird happenings started so its hard to imagine its a random bug kicking in. I don't know, any advice would be appreciated.

bw123

Re: Open applications disappear from view and randomly closi

#2 Post by bw123 »

Since it only started today, I'd look at logs from today for a clue. I might also login as another user and see what happens.
resigned by AI ChatGPT