Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cleaning up xsession-errors

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ShardulNayak

Cleaning up xsession-errors

#1 Post by ShardulNayak »

I decided to run through the xsession-errors log in my home directory. I came across 2 errors that I have been unable to resolve and haven't been able to come up with solutions via search.

The system is stretch w/ lightdm and Cinnamon DE

First error:

Code: Select all

CODE: SELECT ALL
cinnamon-session[1144]: WARNING: t+6.12172s: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "light-locker" (No such file or directory)
I tried the obvious, installing light-locker, which generated a different error message that a screensaver was already loaded. I tried to disable default cinnamon screensaver by switching everything off in the settings gui but that didn't stop it from loading. I can't figure out how or where to stop the call to load light-locker. I think I can disable the cinnamon screensaver through dconf-editor but I'm not sure I want to disable it.

Second error:

Code: Select all

CODE: SELECT ALL
(thunderbird:6): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_append_search_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed
I can find 2 instances of this error by searching. One is in Italian and doesn't appear to have resolved the issue. The other is here on the Debian forum but it was just in a log someone posted while working on a different problem.

Any subtle shoves in the correct direction will be appreciated.

debiman

Re: Cleaning up xsession-errors

#2 Post by debiman »

both messages are harmless and you may safely ignore them.

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

xsessions-errors regularly fills up with MBs of useless warnings that have no impact on performance. At least that is my experience.
May the FORK be with you!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Regularly deleting xsession-errors is part of my maintenance routine. It rarely provides any useful information and can grow to many MBs in size.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!