Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disabling unwanted wakeup from hibernation

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Caitlin

Disabling unwanted wakeup from hibernation

#1 Post by Caitlin »

(Question 1:) When I hibernate I have to very careful not to touch the mouse or the keyboard -- or my computer will wake up when I don't want it to, and then I have to hibernate it again. I want it to wake up from hibernation with the power button only.

Here is the (original) output from #cat /proc/acpi/wakeup:

Code: Select all

Device	S-state	  Status   Sysfs node
PCI0	          S5	*disabled  no-bus:pci0000:00
USB0	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:12.0
USB1	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:12.2
USB2	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:13.0
USB3	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:13.2
USB4	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:16.0
USB5	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:16.2
USB6	  S3	*enabled   pci:0000:00:14.5
SBAZ	  S4	*disabled
PEX0	  S5	*disabled  pci:0000:00:15.0
PEX1	  S5	*disabled  pci:0000:00:15.1
PEX2	  S5	*disabled
PEX3	  S5	*disabled
P2P            S5	*disabled  pci:0000:00:14.4
PCE2	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:02.0
PCE3	  S4	*disabled
PCE4	  S4	*disabled
PCE5	  S4	*disabled
PCE6	  S4	*disabled
PCE7	  S4	*disabled
PCE9	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:09.0
PCEA	  S4	*disabled  pci:0000:00:0a.0
PCEB	  S4	*disabled
PCEC	  S4	*disabled
PS2M	  S5	*disabled
PS2K	  S5	*disabled
So I entered the following command to turn off USB0 through USB6:

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB4 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB5 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB6 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
Then I entered the cat command again and the output was the same as before, but now they were ALL disabled, as I intended.

Next, I hibernated. Once that was done shaking and clicking the mouse did nothing (as desired) but pressing the space bar woke the machine up.

The mouse has a PS/2 type connector coupled with an adapter that plugs into a processor box USB port. The keyboard is plugged directly into a USB port.

The computer is a generic tower case running Debian 9.2 with the MATE desktop.

(Question 2:) When researching this on the internet, (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po ... _hibernate, and yes, I know Arch is not Debian) it said you can toggle the wakeup options (using echo, as shown above) but at the end of the next boot they're reset to their defaults; so I wrote a script to re-disable them on every boot:

[Unit]
Description=Disable USB wakeup triggers in /proc/acpi/wakeup

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB4 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB5 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB6 > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
ExecStop=/bin/sh -c "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB4 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB5 > /proc/acpi/wakeup; echo USB6 > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
RemainAfterExit=yes;

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
To activate the running of this script I was supposed to enter the following commands (but I haven't done so yet):

# systemctl enable disable-USB-wakeup.service
# systemctl start disable-USB-wakeup.service
However on subsequent boots the options are all disabled. Does Stretch remember the changes now or is my script getting run even without being enabled and started?

I am open to suggestion.

Caitlin

bw123

Re: Disabling unwanted wakeup from hibernation

#2 Post by bw123 »

If the service file is enabled when you shutdown, it's enabled when you reboot. If you put it in /etc/systemd/system or somewhere like that, it's enabled, you can check it with

$ systemctl status disable-USB-wakeup.service
to confirm it is enabled.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Caitlin

#3 Post by Caitlin »

bw123 wrote:If the service file is enabled when you shutdown, it's enabled when you reboot. If you put it in /etc/systemd/system or somewhere like that, it's enabled, you can check it with

I just checked and the service was NOT enabled.

But my question was whether the USB's were enabled for wakeup, not whether the service was enabled. The USB's went back to enabled (I wanted disabled).

Caitlin

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

/proc is created at boot time, It's a pseudofs, (all of it?) exists in ram so the settings disappear on shutdown.

On my system USB1-4 are all enabled by default, but I'm not sure that would be true on every system.

Might be better to think of your service as toggle-USB-wakeup, it doesn't disable anything, it toggles the state.

Sorry I didn't understand what is question 1?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

Caitlin wrote:When I hibernate I have to very careful not to touch the mouse or the keyboard -- or my computer will wake up when I don't want it to, and then I have to hibernate it again.
is this happening when you hibernate by command, or when it hibernates automatically because it's time?
for the latter i'd say it's expected behaviour.
bw123 wrote:If the service file is enabled when you shutdown, it's enabled when you reboot. If you put it in /etc/systemd/system or somewhere like that, it's enabled, you can check it with

to clarify:
"enabled" does NOT mean that the service is actually running now. can be, but doesn't have to.
enabled means that it will be started at the next reboot.
to check for that specifically, you can run

systemctl is-enabled disable-USB-wakeup.service