Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wi-fi disconnecting

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
vitorfhc

Wi-fi disconnecting

#1 Post by vitorfhc »

I am having issues with my Debian, it keeps disconnecting me from my wi-fi, not exactly disconnecting. I tested with two different Dells, mine is an Inspiron.
I have Debian 9 running on it and every 10 to 20 minutes the internet stops working, it shows it still connected to the wi-fi but can't even grab Google. It comes back if I disconnect and connect again to the network or turn on then off the airplane mode.
Would appreciate some insights or possible logs I could give to help out finding the solution.

Edit: worth mentioning that it works fine with other wi-fi, it is my home wi-fi which gives me trouble.
Last edited by vitorfhc on 2018-10-22 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Wi-fi disconnecting

#2 Post by bw123 »

10-20 minutes is pretty good without tweaking anything. I've used several wifi devices and it seems like they all need some extra attention. It's one of my least favorite things to do. Here's a quick rundown, in no particular order:

Reset the router to default settings, allow all protocols, a,b, g, n

If you are using Networkmanager, try ifup instead (debian wiki)

If you are using DHCP, try static to take that off the possibles list.

Check rfkill or systemd is not blocking the device for whatever reason (daemon.log)

ID the chip (lspci -nn), make sure firmware is current and matches kernel (debian wiki)

Check what module(s) it uses (lspci -k) and the parameters (modinfo -F parm) and verify the settings (/sys/module/,,,/parameters)

Tweak around with the parameters or look them up on the internet with the modulename

Connect and don't do anything for awhile, when it's stable all you should see is the "rekeying.." msg about every ten minutes

Code: Select all

# watch -n 30 tail /var/log/daemon.log
Be prepared to drink heavily, and look a lot of stuff up, it usually takes awhile.

good luck
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

it shows it still connected to the wi-fi but can't even grab Google
That could very easily be something unrelated to Debian. I have seen that several times with poor Internet supply. Once the cause was a nearby road construction that dug up the Internet ADSL feed leaving only a long circuitous alternate. Another time I solved the problem by turning the router I had then by 90 degrees. Amazingly, some Wifi routers are directional. Check to make sure your router has an exclusive connection; ie: make sure the kid next door isn't playing on-line games on your slice of the feed. Hotels and restaurants have notoriously poor Wifi. The following link may be out of date for some but it has several good suggestions.

Is Your Wireless Connection Dropping?

From the OS side, make sure you don't have a power saver interfering. Also, IPv6 can cause issues, usually slowing connections.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Get the exact chipset for your wi-fi and websearch for the same problem on Debian, Ubuntu, and other distros.

Here's a wi-fi troubleshooting script that's also good to run on Debian: https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info

Odds are you have a Broadcom chipset and you just have to set up a conf file to disable the automatic power saving "feature".
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

there's always this simple test:

ping -c5 google.com
ping -c5 8.8.8.8
if the second succeeds, but not the first, then it's a DNS problem.

vitorfhc

#6 Post by vitorfhc »

Bulkley wrote:
it shows it still connected to the wi-fi but can't even grab Google
That could very easily be something unrelated to Debian. I have seen that several times with poor Internet supply. Once the cause was a nearby road construction that dug up the Internet ADSL feed leaving only a long circuitous alternate. Another time I solved the problem by turning the router I had then by 90 degrees. Amazingly, some Wifi routers are directional. Check to make sure your router has an exclusive connection; ie: make sure the kid next door isn't playing on-line games on your slice of the feed. Hotels and restaurants have notoriously poor Wifi. The following link may be out of date for some but it has several good suggestions.

Is Your Wireless Connection Dropping?

From the OS side, make sure you don't have a power saver interfering. Also, IPv6 can cause issues, usually slowing connections.
It is OS related, I have other notebook which I run Windows for playing games and it is fine. I had Ubuntu and Arch on this same notebook which is giving me problemas now and no problem at all.

vitorfhc

#7 Post by vitorfhc »

debiman wrote:there's always this simple test:

ping -c5 google.com
ping -c5 8.8.8.8
if the second succeeds, but not the first, then it's a DNS problem.
Yeah, both worked fine, already knew but just to be sure I did it.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

vitorfhc wrote:
Edit: worth mentioning that it works fine with other wi-fi, it is my home wi-fi which gives me trouble.
yeah, it's all a big box of tinker toys. There are so many wifi doodads, devices, protocols, and configurations it really sucks when you find one that doesn't play nice. It happens a lot on the other OS also.

One thing that doesn't hurt is reboot the router/ap. Maybe try with no other devices connected, or only G enabled, or only N. Bluetooth can be an issue also, try disabling it if you don't need it.

Interference can still be an issue, because that was then, this is now when you ran ubuntu and arch. The other laptop with windows isn't relevant to interference on *this* one with debian. I scan the neighborhood by script once a day and take a look when I get a lot of disconnects. Some people on my block have 5 or six wireless devices, it gets crowded out here. Why does everybody have a wireless printer screaming out it's name on every damn channel, 24 hrs a day? Do you really need a wireless printer online at 4AM in the morning? Well, probably because they are idiots, and don;t know any better. PLUG THE PRINTER INTO THE COMPUTER. This used to be called 'walking on my channel' with CB radios. People don't even know wtf equipment they have or how it works.

You didn't follow up with any hardware details, so I'm guessing you don't want to tell people the wireless chip and the router. Or perhaps you don't know wtf equipment you have...

EDIT: https://www.werockyourweb.com/your-wire ... -dropping/ good link!
EDIT2: oh yeah, going to sleep and waking up, or running on battery could have a whole new set of problems...
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

vitorfhc wrote:It is OS related, . . .
Then do what stevepusser said.