My apt-get is suddenly giving me 404 errors

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: My apt-get is suddenly giving me 404 errors

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-10-31 06:19

stevepusser wrote:I've also never seen "buster debug" before, but maybe it exists. :?

Yes! The debug repositories contain packages compiled with the debug flags enabled, which is tremendously useful if a program is crashing:

https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktr ... ng_symbols

In Arch or Alpine the user has to recompile the program locally to get a proper backtrace, which can be a pain.
I suffer from depression and may lash out occasionally, try not to take it personally.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: My apt-get is suddenly giving me 404 errors

Postby HankB » 2018-10-31 20:54

stevepusser wrote:Almost certainly you would have been able to get your wi-fi working on stable with some additional packages from stretch-backports, especially since stretch-backports has almost the same kernel version as Buster and the same firmware. I and others here having been helping users do that almost daily.

Thanks, I may roll back and give that another try.

Even Buster alone was not sufficient to get stable operation (for some definition of stable *.) In addition to drivers I had to get firmware directly from a Killer Github project.

(*) Bluetooth occasionally disappears and a full power down is required to restore operation. There's considerable discussion of this on the Dell forums since Ubuntu us supported by Dell on this model.
HankB

Previous

Return to General Questions