installing a testing package emacs25 corrupts at totally

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: installing a testing package emacs25 corrupts at totally

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-11-07 08:58

ok
MagicPoulp

Postby debiman » 2018-11-08 07:24

MagicPoulp wrote:You need to see the poetry in not using ultra precise expression.

good luck maintaining or even using your operating system with that attitude :mrgreen:
debiman

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-11-08 12:28

debiman wrote:
MagicPoulp wrote:You need to see the poetry in not using ultra precise expression.

good luck maintaining or even using your operating system with that attitude :mrgreen:

As Paul Valéry said: "Certain people have such a confused idea of what poetry is about that their idea itself becomes poetic."

It is like nit-picking when someone uses the words "always" or "all" and mentioning a counter example, showing it is not always the case. One can use imprecise language. An the reason poetry is mentioned is because no one is 100% master of own's own mind as a complex process.
MagicPoulp

Postby bw123 » 2018-11-08 14:28

...An the reason poetry is mentioned is because no one is 100% master of own's own mind as a complex process.

It's not your mind, it's your actions you can master with practice. I don't understand the whole thread, even the title is confusing. What does, "... corrupts at totally" mean? Was that a typo for "apt" and why did you think you can install testing pkg of emacs on stable? Why would you want to?

This is pretty well known issue, not easy to run a mixed system sometimes. Many people do it, and put up with random breakage and a weird system that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It is sort of like poetry, some people like it, some don't. There isn't much of a middle ground, you either love it or hate it.
bw123

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-11-09 08:51

bw123 wrote:I don't understand the whole thread, even the title is confusing. What does, "... corrupts at totally" mean? Was that a typo for "apt" and why did you think you can install testing pkg of emacs on stable? Why would you want to?

You cannot keep asking why one would want to install a testing package on stable. I have answered it 10 times already. During a long time in the past emacs25 and emacs-goodies-el had been in testing and not in stable. You have access to more packages and more recent packages in testing than you have in stable.

And the poetry (trolling?) lies in the freestyle discussions. For example, you say that you don't understand the thread and ask questions for which you probably already know the answer. It is poetic because you don't control yourself when loading discussions with feelings.
MagicPoulp

Postby debiman » 2018-11-09 10:00

MagicPoulp wrote:And the poetry (trolling?) lies in the freestyle discussions. For example, you say that you don't understand the thread and ask questions for which you probably already know the answer. It is poetic because you don't control yourself when loading discussions with feelings.

so by op's own admission this thread is and has always been totally pointless, from a linux point of view.
fine with me.
debiman

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-11-09 10:40

Not at all.

1. In testing, one has access to more packages and more versions.

He is one example unixodbc. Present in testing but not in stable. When a package is present in stable, one can sometimes have a more recent version in testing.

2. That apt or aptitude can get broken and hard to recover, present with the same error in another post.
MagicPoulp

Postby bw123 » 2018-11-09 14:58

MagicPoulp wrote:Not at all.

1. In testing, one has access to more packages and more versions.

He is one example unixodbc. Present in testing but not in stable. When a package is present in stable, one can sometimes have a more recent version in testing.

2. That apt or aptitude can get broken and hard to recover, present with the same error in another post.

It doesn't matter if the more recent pkg is available if it doesn't work. You have access to zillions of pkgs from all over the linux world, but they don't all work on stable. It's an old argument you're making, "I mixed repos before and it worked, now it doesn't so something is wrong."

That's like saying you always got away with cheating at cards, so you don't understand why it's a big deal now...

Feelings and poetry aside, it's a repeat thread of "I broke it by mixing repos." They told you that on the first few replies.
bw123

Postby stevepusser » 2018-11-09 18:02

There are also well-known methods for getting newer versions of programs on stable that won't break your install...but you've already been pointed to the reading you need to do.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Quod Libet 4.2.0, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Liquorix kernel 4.18-22, Midori 6.0
stevepusser

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-11-12 09:02

bw123 wrote:It doesn't matter if the more recent pkg is available if it doesn't work. You have access to zillions of pkgs from all over the linux world, but they don't all work on stable. It's an old argument you're making, "I mixed repos before and it worked, now it doesn't so something is wrong."

you were answering to this statement: "1. In testing, one has access to more packages and more versions."

No! I persist and sign. I have used many packages from testing. And the cases causing corruption are rare and I can be prepared for corruption using VMs or docker.

Installing ruby-all and ruby-all-dev on testing works very well. And you get more choice of versions than what the stable branch offers.

Concerning the other methods, the backports seem to have much fewer packages than testing. Besides, backports seem to have more dependencies to each other.

Actually, many people would do a better usage of installing the entire debian testing instead of debian stable.
MagicPoulp

Postby debiman » 2018-11-14 00:29

MagicPoulp wrote:No! I persist and sign. I have used many packages from testing. And the cases causing corruption are rare and I can be prepared for corruption using VMs or docker.

this is a totally different paradigm.
of course, if you break your vm you can always nuke it, and no recommendation about system stability will have any relevance to you.
you are totally entitled to do things that way, and to be fair, you mentioned that straight away in your first post, but still i look down on you, and fart in your general direction. now go away or i shall taunt you a second time.
debiman

Previous

Return to General Questions