debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby NorthEast » 2018-12-14 23:40

Damn, and here I've been using 'yum install foo' on my CentOS workstation VM when I was supposed to be manually installing from tarballs? Silly me..... I should have realized it was worse than RedHat 5, that even way back then had RPM, even if it didn't do automatic dependency installation.

Me too ... couldn't help smiling when thinking about all that Red Hat history since the last century.
NorthEast
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-11-18 04:35

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-12-17 09:16

NorthEast wrote:
Damn, and here I've been using 'yum install foo' on my CentOS workstation VM when I was supposed to be manually installing from tarballs? Silly me..... I should have realized it was worse than RedHat 5, that even way back then had RPM, even if it didn't do automatic dependency installation.

Me too ... couldn't help smiling when thinking about all that Red Hat history since the last century.


CentOS is often said very stable and secure because RedHat freezes the packages during many years. In practice, it means that many packages will have to be installed manually.

Try to install ruby 2.5. And see how far you go with yum, even with the Fedora EPEL repo.
MagicPoulp
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 2018-11-05 21:30

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby pendrachken » 2018-12-17 13:58

MagicPoulp wrote:
NorthEast wrote:
Damn, and here I've been using 'yum install foo' on my CentOS workstation VM when I was supposed to be manually installing from tarballs? Silly me..... I should have realized it was worse than RedHat 5, that even way back then had RPM, even if it didn't do automatic dependency installation.

Me too ... couldn't help smiling when thinking about all that Red Hat history since the last century.


CentOS is often said very stable and secure because RedHat freezes the packages during many years. In practice, it means that many packages will have to be installed manually.

Try to install ruby 2.5. And see how far you go with yum, even with the Fedora EPEL repo.


Code: Select all
 yum --enablerepo=centos-sclo-rh -y install rh-ruby25 && scl enable rh-ruby25 bash

ruby -v
ruby 2.5.0p0 (2017-12-25 revision 61468) [x86_64-linux]




Or use RVM: https://tecadmin.net/install-ruby-latest-stable-centos/

Seems just as easy as using backports. And no worse than using newer software that isn't available in backports on Debian to me.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: 2007-03-04 21:10
Location: U.S.A. - WI.

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby NorthEast » 2018-12-18 03:07

MagicPoulp wrote:
Try to install ruby 2.5. And see how far you go with yum, even with the Fedora EPEL repo.

Actually, fedora repos are for fedora, and EPEL for centos and RedHatEnterprise. It can be very troublesome to mix them up.
NorthEast
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-11-18 04:35

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-12-18 12:02

Yes I was wrong to call it the "Fedora EPEL repository". It should be called the EPEL repository.

And the EPEL repository does not have that many packages. So you cannot install ruby 2.5 with yum.
MagicPoulp
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 2018-11-05 21:30

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby MagicPoulp » 2018-12-18 14:49

pendrachken wrote:
Code: Select all
 yum --enablerepo=centos-sclo-rh -y install rh-ruby25 && scl enable rh-ruby25 bash

ruby -v
ruby 2.5.0p0 (2017-12-25 revision 61468) [x86_64-linux]




Or use RVM: https://tecadmin.net/install-ruby-latest-stable-centos/

Seems just as easy as using backports. And no worse than using newer software that isn't available in backports on Debian to me.


Yes is it about the same.

Note that debian testing has ruby 2.5.1, not 2.5.0. And one can build it from source for working on stable by using 2 commands.
MagicPoulp
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 2018-11-05 21:30

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby themagicm » 2018-12-24 13:23

pendrachken wrote:Damn, and here I've been using 'yum install foo' on my CentOS workstation VM when I was supposed to be manually installing from tarballs? Silly me..... I should have realized it was worse than RedHat 5, that even way back then had RPM, even if it didn't do automatic dependency installation.



What?? You dont compile from source every time on this antiquated CentOS distro??? LMAO. I heard Caldera OpenLinux 1.0 should be a great distro over CentOS.
themagicm
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 2011-11-23 06:08

Re: debian or ubuntu best for server solution in production

Postby millpond » 2018-12-29 08:52

What is the server for?

And what type of software will be running on it?

Debian has a pretty decent testing ecosystem and a large but single repository base.
Generallly the stable software is a year or more old, often more.

A server hosting ecommerce websites with large databases might well be advised to go a more conservative route as business is loathe to change for the expense and risks it entails, as the website may need to be compatible with older LAMP server software. So Debian or CentOS is probably the best bet.

Sites hosting the latest and greatest MVC sites will probably want the ability to run the latest java/js/ruby/python based apps and utils. Ubuntu might have an edge there as they source not only from Debian, but also Git and Bazaar which may provide bleeding edge, as well as more variety. Those packages are not compatible with Debian, as Ubuntu uses a different file system structure. Plus I have seen some gadawful programming on some of those packages.

It is also well to keep in mind that Debian and RH began their lives as production distros. While Ubuntu was designed as a consumer distro. Will IT savvy clients have a bias due to these differences?
millpond
 
Posts: 658
Joined: 2014-06-25 04:56

Previous

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: reinob and 12 guests

fashionable