Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Command line install of X Windows and KDE on remote server

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
paulpop

Command line install of X Windows and KDE on remote server

#1 Post by paulpop »

Hi, I am working with a server at server beach and wanted to run the freenx server on it so I could have full access to KDE as if it was a local machine.

My difficulty is that I don't have access to the server and don't have a display connected. Without this, it seems that KDE will not install over a command line session VIA ssh because it cannot open a display.

I have been running commands like this as root:

apt-get install x-window-system-core kde kdm

A ton of stuff has installed itself but I cannot get it to finish. It's currently stuck with spitting errors like this to the above command:

Code: Select all

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, x-window-system-core is already the newest version.
Sorry, kde is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
  x-window-system-core: Depends: xserver-xfree86
  xnest: Depends: xserver-common but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
When I run 'apt-get -f install', I get this which I take again to be a problem connecting to the X server:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  xserver-common xserver-xfree86 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xserver-common xserver-xfree86 
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 106  not upgraded.
330 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/6078kB of archives. After unpacking 17.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
dpkg-preconfigure: cannot connect to X server 
(Reading database ... 70435 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xserver-common (from .../xserver-common_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb) ...
frontend: cannot connect to X server 
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-common_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Unpacking xserver-xfree86 (from .../xserver-xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb) ...
frontend: cannot connect to X server 
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-common_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've used X a ton and am familiar with it but never installed it on a machine that is remote.

Thanks,

Paul

none

#2 Post by none »

Do a apt-get clean first.

then try

apt-get install x-window-system xserver-xorg kde kdm

pigah

#3 Post by pigah »

Part of your problem is that debconf is trying to open an x-window to configure the x-server.
try a:
dpkg-reconfigure debconf

and then answer dialog and then set the priority (medium is good). This will correct at least that problem. You can now configure the package in a curses environment

paulpop

#4 Post by paulpop »

I've gotten somewhat closer but still not there. I went back to the first command I tried when moving toward installing a window manager and it was:

apt-get install kde
I noticed that command was failing because a file called Qt.pm could not be loaded to I then installed it with this:

apt-get install libqt-perl

Don't know why it was not happening VIA normal dependencies other than somehow the file got deleted somewhere along the way.

So, "apt-get clean" worked. "dpkg-reconfigure debconf" still wants to connect to an X session so, I figured I would edit /etc/debconf.conf manually but after 15 minutes of digging, I found out the frontend value is stored in /var/cache/debconf/config.dat. So, then just needed to plug an acceptable value into /var/cache/debconf/config.dat which ended up being this:

Name: debconf/frontend
Template: debconf/frontend
Value: Dialog
Owners: debconf  
Flags: seen
So, then I was able to run this command with success(!!!!) -- all dialog boxes were in text and no errors:

apt-get install x-window-system-core kde kdm 
Thanks all! I needed to know that debconf was where the frontend value was located or set. Now, hopefully I can get freenx up.

Paul[/quote]