Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bootloader and wifi problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Peer2

bootloader and wifi problems

#1 Post by Peer2 »

Hi
I’m new to your forum, using Debian ) on a USB stick (not a live USB) and have some problems with booting this sick on a UEFI computer (the os is not shown in the bootmanager), so I’ve got to use the grub on my Ubuntu usb stick to boot debian.
When I used debian the first time on my UEFI computer the wifi didn’t work so I installed firmware-iwlwifi, now the wifi works but I some times get timeouts while playing minecraft, connecting to websides or playing slither.io.
My Informtic teacher told my that the wifidrivers could be the reason for this. I don’t have this problems with Ubuntu on the same hardware an with debian on older Hardware.
How can I fix this?

stevepusser

Re: bootloader and wifi problems

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Hardware issue question.
First post does not provide hardware information.
Answerbot in hold mode...
MX Linux packager and developer

Peer2

#3 Post by Peer2 »

My newer Laptop is a HP notebook 15-bs130ng https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05847588 and my older Laptop is a Fujitsu Livebook E751.
I’m using a 32gb USB3.1 USB stick by sandisk with Debian on it.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I have an older iwlwifi device and solved my frequent disconnects problem by setting the router to 'g' only. (supports only draft-n) Also disable and mask systemd-rfkill.service seemed to help. Drove me crazy, I tried everything... including disabling bluetooth in BIOS and bt_coex_active=0 for the module. I have a long list if that doesn't help let me know.

ID your device like this, let people know what it is and maybe someone has some tips for more stable connection.

Code: Select all

$ lspci -nn | grep Net
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection [8086:4237]
More about draft-n here...
https://www.pcworld.com/article/126821/article.html
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Peer2

#5 Post by Peer2 »

280]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:24fb] (rev 10)

kevinthefixer

#6 Post by kevinthefixer »

Over on the Chromebook forums they have a saying: It's the router.
But my other machine... It's the router.
But... It's the router.

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

First thing to try is rebooting the router, when was the last time you did this? Like any other system, should be done regularly.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Some google-fu shows you have a Intel Dual BandWireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter.

Since that was released at about the same as the stock Stretch 4.9 kernel, perhaps the driver has been improved in a newer kernel, which you can get either from stretch-backports, or from one of my OBS repos, or even a backported Liquorix kernel that I have on the OBS: https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2615.html
MX Linux packager and developer

Peer2

#9 Post by Peer2 »

kevinthefixer wrote:First thing to try is rebooting the router, when was the last time you did this? Like any other system, should be done regularly.
doesn’t work

llivv

#10 Post by llivv »

Peer2 wrote:My Informtic teacher told my that the wifidrivers could be the reason for this. I don’t have this problems with Ubuntu on the same hardware an with debian on older Hardware.
How can I fix this?
add backports
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Peer2

#11 Post by Peer2 »

llivv wrote:
Peer2 wrote:My Informtic teacher told my that the wifidrivers could be the reason for this. I don’t have this problems with Ubuntu on the same hardware an with debian on older Hardware.
How can I fix this?
add backports
It work. Thanks :)