Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

YNAB install

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ramack

YNAB install

#1 Post by ramack »

After narrowing down several budgeting applications, I'm looking at starting with You Need A Budget (YNAB). But it's a Windows or Mac compatible, so I'll need to run it in a VM or WINE. Does anyone here use YNAB? How do you run it?

Thanks
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

bw123

Re: YNAB install

#2 Post by bw123 »

I don't use windows software on linux, but there are some great threads on here about both vm and wine setup. From what I have read, vm may be a little easier to setup, but I really couldn't say. Did you try the webpage for YNAB vendor and see what they suggest?
https://www.youneedabudget.com/ynab-linux/

Why did you decide on a proprietary trialware program instead of an open source solution like skrooge?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ramack

#3 Post by ramack »

The older YNAB worked through Adobe AIR, the newer release (2016?) doesn't. I already have VMWare and VBox and could run through the VMs, but it appears that it's more common for YNAB/Linux users to use WINE. I haven't ever used WINE, I've chosen the VMs instead. But I thought this might be a good time to give WINE a shot.

Why YNAB over Linux packages?
YNAB and very few others use the envelope method and zero-sum approach for budgets in addition to expense tracking. Most financial packages are good for expense tracking and not so good for budgeting. None of the Linux packages I've found use either approach and I need these two specific methods for my purposes for personal finances. I looked at KMyMoney, HomeBank and GnuCash as well as Skrooge, none use these methods. Yes, YNAB does have an annual fee, but to me, it had value that I'm willing to pay for. I think in the long run, it will save me money.
XFCE on all.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

You could maybe explain exactly why you think the others do not use "envelope method" or zero sum? And why the way YNAB handles it would make someone want to pay a monthly fee, and go to the trouble of installing another os in a vm to use it, with absolutely no support from the author.

If there are features missing in the linux apps, then a bug report or wishlist in the right place would help make open source alternatives to financial management or personal finance software even better. Thanks!

Did some quick searches, and it seems these terms are associated with Dave Ramsey? He's good, I used to listen to him on radio. I never sent him a red cent though. You don't even need software to use brown envelopes, I did that for years, works great.

I hope you follow up and get it working. Another thing I've always been interested in is security of financial information on a networked machine. Maybe you could follow up on that as well, when you get there?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ramack

#5 Post by ramack »

bw123 wrote:You could maybe explain exactly why you think the others do not use "envelope method" or zero sum? And why the way YNAB handles it would make someone want to pay a monthly fee, and go to the trouble of installing another os in a vm to use it, with absolutely no support from the author.
Two reasons. I've asked users and their responses are that the methodology is not zero-sum, moderators of the user communities agree. YNAB has a ton of support material and tech support. You state that there is no support from the author, you're mistaken. Not sure where that information came from but it is incorrect. GnuCash, KMyMoney, HomeBank and Skrooge don't use zero-sum method.
bw123 wrote:YIf there are features missing in the linux apps, then a bug report or wishlist in the right place would help make open source alternatives to financial management or personal finance software even better. Thanks!
I don't have time for the development of features. I'm looking for something now, free or paid.
bw123 wrote: Did some quick searches, and it seems these terms are associated with Dave Ramsey? He's good, I used to listen to him on radio. I never sent him a red cent though. You don't even need software to use brown envelopes, I did that for years, works great.
Dave Ramsey's EveryDollar also uses the envelope and zero-sum method. Zero-sum is an American term, I think zero-based budget is the term globally used. There are several others too. YNAB installs on a local machine, most of the other budget software of this type is run from a remote server and all financial data is stored on that remote server. I am avoiding those applications because I do not want my information other than on my local machine or on my bank's server. I'm sure it is secure, but that's something I am not willing to risk.

Dave Ramsey did not develop the idea of the envelope method. The financial and Biblical principles he discusses and teaches are actually based off of Larry Burkett's (deceased) MoneyMatters which I used years ago. I've gone through Ramsey's Financial Peace University when it was offered at a past employer for free. He is good, many people have gotten out of debt because of his company.

So far I've got YNAB running through WINE without any probably. I was trying to avoid starting a VM, then the application. It's starting from an icon on my desktop. Pretty painless install.
XFCE on all.