Missing Network Firmware

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Missing Network Firmware

Postby StrDebian » 2018-12-17 14:11

Hi, I installed Debian 9.6 on my HP laptop and the installation went great, everything works perfectly except for the wireless connections (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi), when I start turn on the machine it starts reading the Journal and displays and error loading the Bluetooth firmware, I installed the Wi-Fi drivers manually as they didn't come with the system, it shows that I have connections available but I can't get connected.

I don't know if I actually explained myself correctly, any questions and I will answer ASAP.

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks in advance!
StrDebian

Re: Missing Network Firmware

Postby bw123 » 2018-12-17 14:34

On linux system the drivers usually arrive with installation of the kernel, so installing drivers manually from another source can create more of a headache. Nobody knows what you installed or from where, or for what device, so there can be no support for something you haven't been clear about.

Go here, ID the device using one of the HowToIdentifyADevice... links, then install any needed firmware.
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

After ID the device, searching the forum will probably get you a very quick solution. If the device is recognized and scans normally, but you are having trouble connecting, then explaining what method you are using to connect will be helpful to other people. Debian supports at least a half dozen methods https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

Searching the forum and the wiki pages might be faster than posting.
bw123

Postby StrDebian » 2018-12-17 14:59

Thanks a lot for replying!

I now have Wi-Fi but the signal is really weak, I'll keep looking into other forums to see what helps.
StrDebian

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-17 18:59

Those other forums can't help you if you won't provide any hardware information...
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.13 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc4, Stellarium 0.18.3, VLC 3.0.5, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Return to General Questions