Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] CIFS mounts not mounting during boot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
BoredStudent

[SOLVED] CIFS mounts not mounting during boot

#1 Post by BoredStudent »

So I have NAS at home which I use for backups and some other files. I want to mount some shared folders on my PC via CIFS in fstab, but I'm running into some problems. When I boot my PC, I see some error messages as pictured below:
This message repeats for the other 3 shares I mount using CIFS as well. The weirdest thing is though, when I run sudo mount -a in a terminal after boot, the shares mount just fine...

Pictured below are the lines in /etc/fstab which I use to mount the shares:
As some additional info: The NAS shares via SMB using SMB2 as a minimum protocol and SMB3 as a maximum. It is also setup as a Local Master Browser.
I hope I have provided you with enough information, please tell me if you need more.
Last edited by BoredStudent on 2019-01-03 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
My PC's setup:
Note: This PC also runs Microsoft Windows.

pendrachken

Re: CIFS mounts not mounting during boot

#2 Post by pendrachken »

Your init system**, whichever one you are using, is trying to mount the fstab entries before the network becomes available. There is information out there that you can search for that will help you set up the behavior as you want.

** by default SystemD on modern Debian installs. It doesn't really matter WHAT init system you use, the issue will remain unless you resolve the problem of the network not being up before the fstab network share are attempted to be mounted. The only thing that will change is HOW you go about getting the network up before the mounts.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you tried the x-systemd.automount option for the fstab lines? That should allow systemd to contol the mount ordering.
deadbang

BoredStudent

#4 Post by BoredStudent »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you tried the x-systemd.automount option for the fstab lines? That should allow systemd to contol the mount ordering.
I tried this and it worked immediately, thank you very much!
My PC's setup:
Note: This PC also runs Microsoft Windows.