Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install windows 10

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debian121212

How to install windows 10

#1 Post by debian121212 »

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... fter-linux

Sais its just as easy as
1. Open GParted and resize your linux partition(s) in order to have at least 20Gb of free space.
2. Boot on the Windows installation DVD/USB and select "Unallocated space" to not override your linux partition(s).
3. Finally you have to boot on a Linux live DVD/USB to re-install Grub (the boot loader) as explained here.

For Debian 9.6 Stretch,

Is this all theres to flawless perfect or anyone have a better method or tips? Doing this at the moment, seems like fun, I dont want to mess anything up its my first time using 2 OS's, since I read that there is absolutely no reason not to as it just uses the 20GB block of space and thats it, no performance going down. I hope I dont bork the computer

GarryRicketson

Re: How to install windows 10

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I suppose if you trust microsoft, it would be ok. I don't trust them, they have a reputation of producing mal-ware, and I would not put any of their products on my computer, even as dual boot, it still is the same HD, same PC.
If I absolutely had to have MS windows, for some reason, a common excuse is for work, I would keep it on a totally different PC or put it on a Virtual machine, like QEMU, or other, but the same, keep it isolated from the host PC.
I expect some of the windows promoters, (we have quite a few here), I expect I will get flamed,etc for saying this, but that is the way I see it.
Doing this at the moment, seems like fun, I dont want to mess anything up its my first time using 2 OS's, since I read that there is absolutely no reason not --snip--
It might seem like it might be fun, but if you want to experiment with dual boot, etc, it would be to your advantage to look for a good used PC or laptop, cheap, and do the experiments for fun on them. It is fun to experiment and one learns from that, but it not fun when you find your main PC has been compromised because the mal-ware that was installed starts doing things on it's own, and not things you wanted. MS products are very dangerous, and I do know I am not the only person that considers the MS software mal ware,
I am not any kind of expert, but I decided to toss this into a search engine:
Why do many computer experts consider Microsoft products mal ware
The first hit:
from:https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware ... ft.en.html
Microsoft Back Doors

Microsoft Windows has a universal back door through which any change whatsoever can be imposed on the users.

This was reported in 2007 for XP and Vista, and it seems that Microsoft used the same method to push the Windows 10 downgrade to computers running Windows 7 and 8.

In Windows 10, the universal back door is no longer hidden; all “upgrades” will be forcibly and immediately imposed.

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption.

The German government veers away from Windows 8 computers with TPM 2.0, due to potential back door capabilities of the TPM 2.0 chip.

Here is a suspicion that we can't prove, but is worth thinking about: Writable microcode for Intel and AMD microprocessors may be a vehicle for the NSA to invade computers, with the help of Microsoft, say respected security experts.

Windows 8 also has a back door for remotely deleting apps.

You might well decide to let a security service that you trust remotely deactivate programs that it considers malicious. But there is no excuse for deleting the programs, and you should have the right to decide whom (if anyone) to trust in this way.
I think if you read the above, and maybe read more , do more research, you will see there are many reasons not to put any MS products on your PC or laptop, especially if it is "just for fun", there is no reason to do that. It is a little different when someone believes they have to have it for work,etc,...but even that really is just a fabricated excuse created by MS promoters, and the companies that support them, thus forcing the employees to unwillingly use the mal ware.

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

MS Windows is an insult to a computer enthusiast. As said above, isolate it in a virtual machine or separate PC. I haven't read W10 user agreement, but I hear it makes you give up rights to the hardware it is installed to? You won't own the OS, obviously, you will only have limited user license which allows you to use it, but not tinker with internals. And the hardware goes with it.

Edit: hey Garry, good link! Thanks.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

For experimenting with dual boot, another Linux distro could be used, or even Free Dos, some folks also run aBSD , and Linux as dual boot.
from:https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware ... ft.en.html --->As this page shows, if you do want to clean your computer of malware, the first software to delete is Windows.
There are many alternatives that are more secure, open source, and when one learns enough about the system, can do much more then any MS windows could or can.

debian121212

#5 Post by debian121212 »

Thanks, cant buy a new one.

Hate MicroSoft myself however I *absolutely need it* to root my phone since my dated computer does not support virtualization and I can't run ODIN on virtualbox to root my galaxy s7.

debian121212

#6 Post by debian121212 »

GarryRicketson wrote:I suppose if you trust microsoft, it would be ok. I don't trust them, they have a reputation of producing mal-ware, and I would not put any of their products on my computer, even as dual boot, it still is the same HD, same PC.
If I absolutely had to have MS windows, for some reason, a common excuse is for work, I would keep it on a totally different PC or put it on a Virtual machine, like QEMU, or other, but the same, keep it isolated from the host PC.
I expect some of the windows promoters, (we have quite a few here), I expect I will get flamed,etc for saying this, but that is the way I see it.
Doing this at the moment, seems like fun, I dont want to mess anything up its my first time using 2 OS's, since I read that there is absolutely no reason not --snip--
It might seem like it might be fun, but if you want to experiment with dual boot, etc, it would be to your advantage to look for a good used PC or laptop, cheap, and do the experiments for fun on them. It is fun to experiment and one learns from that, but it not fun when you find your main PC has been compromised because the mal-ware that was installed starts doing things on it's own, and not things you wanted. MS products are very dangerous, and I do know I am not the only person that considers the MS software mal ware,
I am not any kind of expert, but I decided to toss this into a search engine:
Why do many computer experts consider Microsoft products mal ware
The first hit:
from:https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware ... ft.en.html
Microsoft Back Doors

Microsoft Windows has a universal back door through which any change whatsoever can be imposed on the users.

This was reported in 2007 for XP and Vista, and it seems that Microsoft used the same method to push the Windows 10 downgrade to computers running Windows 7 and 8.

In Windows 10, the universal back door is no longer hidden; all “upgrades” will be forcibly and immediately imposed.

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption.

The German government veers away from Windows 8 computers with TPM 2.0, due to potential back door capabilities of the TPM 2.0 chip.

Here is a suspicion that we can't prove, but is worth thinking about: Writable microcode for Intel and AMD microprocessors may be a vehicle for the NSA to invade computers, with the help of Microsoft, say respected security experts.

Windows 8 also has a back door for remotely deleting apps.

You might well decide to let a security service that you trust remotely deactivate programs that it considers malicious. But there is no excuse for deleting the programs, and you should have the right to decide whom (if anyone) to trust in this way.
I think if you read the above, and maybe read more , do more research, you will see there are many reasons not to put any MS products on your PC or laptop, especially if it is "just for fun", there is no reason to do that. It is a little different when someone believes they have to have it for work,etc,...but even that really is just a fabricated excuse created by MS promoters, and the companies that support them, thus forcing the employees to unwillingly use the mal ware.

Just need windows to root my phone with ODIN. Helmdal is linux alternative but its not good; have never succeeded with it.

debian121212

#7 Post by debian121212 »

Segfault wrote:MS Windows is an insult to a computer enthusiast. As said above, isolate it in a virtual machine or separate PC. I haven't read W10 user agreement, but I hear it makes you give up rights to the hardware it is installed to? You won't own the OS, obviously, you will only have limited user license which allows you to use it, but not tinker with internals. And the hardware goes with it.

Edit: hey Garry, good link! Thanks.
If 20gb WIN install is in a different partition, can its malware/security problems interfere with the non NTFS debian partition stuff? Is the windows install enough for a malware /hacker/ something to get to the non NTFS Debian and mess up Debian? I didnt think dual booting win10 and debian could be potentially killing the debian; that it was that horrible. .

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Some people will argue that it is safe and ok, again I disagree, but I admit I am far from being any kind of expert, I can say years ago I did try keeping windows as well, and having a dual boot system, but I still encountered to many "unexplained" problems, that eventually led to crashes, and fresh installs needed, after I decided to just say no, and did not include the mal ware, on a separate partition, the "unexplained" problems also stopped occurring, logic told me , "problem solved". I never looked back, and never put the mal ware on my HD again.
I can not say I never have any problems with my current OS, nor with Debian, in the past, I did occasionally, but the difference, those problems were/are explainable, and can be solved, usually they are PBCAK on my part.
There is a topic , recent, maybe worth looking at: Bootloader Disappeared
I don't care how many partitions you have on the HD, the bios is still vulnerable, MS products, including windows are all closed source, you have no way to check and see what is inside the code they used to make the program or OS, yes it could have things in it that can access the other partition, and you really have no way to check to make sure it doesn't, many powerful organizations support and promote the MS organization, there all ways will be plenty of propaganda to try to convince you it is perfectly safe and secure.
Another example, but not MS windows, but
INTEL inside, and OS known as Minix3, installed /embedded in the chip, some what modified, and normal users can not access it, it is a tiny OS, micro kernel, yet it can run a server, and access the PC, some searches will get you all the details, the point is not really about minix3 or Intel, but if they can hide a small OS in the chipset–based platforms , surely they can also hide a little bit of code in a OS, and that code does what they want it to, not what you don't want it to.
Just need windows to root my phone with ODIN.
That indeed , is new excuse , never heard that one before,.. What about take the phone to a repair shop, that can do this, using their Windows, and this program, ? But then I would think twice before plugging a phone into my usb, after it had been accessed by the MS products,....
No big deal, you can do what you want, millions of other people use the MS windows, etc, just like in the myth about the lemmings, they follow the crowd, it does not matter if they all fall of the cliff into the sea.
=== edited ===
Sorry to be so long winded, a lot depends on you, and what you do with your PC or laptop, if it is all just for fun, experimenting , maybe a few games as well, etc, no big deal , if things don't work out, and it crashes, or start doing things you don't like, wipe the drive and start over, have fun and learn.
Me, my PC is very important to me, I do a lot of off-line work on it, it is some what of a "home office" situation, and not for "fun", all though often I do enjoy what I do with it.
I do also have some other old laptops that I don't use much any more, so if I did want to try out the windows 10, or needed to kind of windows for some reason, I would use one of them.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debian121212 wrote:Just need windows to root my phone with ODIN. Helmdal is linux alternative but its not good; have never succeeded with it.
I root my Samsung phones with Heimdall, it seems to work well
deadbang

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

+1

perhaps you made some error if heimdall does not work for you?

However, yes that is a use case where you probably cannot easily use a very simple VM setup.

millpond

#11 Post by millpond »

Once you realize Win IS a booger it makes living with it so much simpler.

The first thing to realize is that its telemetry is via a hidden VPN.
But that it relies on its OWN services to operate.

Take an axe and sledgehammer to services.msc and have a party with the advice on Blackviper's site AS A START.
Remove bits, and all remote access, IPsec and any other protocols you dont need. OpenVPN has is own drivers so no concern about secure conections. Remove IPV6. Remove updates. Remove security center, firewall, win defender - and everything replaceable with OpenSource and cygwin software.
Strip the UI down till it looks like Win2k.

Main vectors of attack are email and browsers. Arm them to the teeth with extensions.
It will be a lean, fast machine, and remarkably resistant to boogers.
However do NOT use any of the above advice on a produciton machine.

However I still would not trust Win10 outside of a VM. My Win10 laptop is not permitted access to my network.

I do not trust Linux either as some of it key networking components (think heartbeat) are derived from shadowy figures and academics, some hearkening all the way back to Darpanet. And I certainly dislike systemd. Forced to use it, as my Devuan system stopped compiling anything, and the update scrood the pooch.

Besides, all CPUs after 2008 are boogered. Your system can be shut down - even bricked - whenever any gummint (with the codes) has a whim of a cyberattack.

If you must run Win10 - install an older version, and do not connect to the net until fully neutered. My laptop has never seen an update.
Works fine.

The main advantage I see of Linux over Win7 (on my network machines) appears to be that the SATA drivers are superior to the Win junk, even with Intel updated drivers (on metal, not SSD). Thrashing writes seem to damage sectors. As well as losing the controllers on awakening from sleep. On two different machines, with 2 different Win7 versions. SID is rock solid on these issues. For now at least.

tynman

#12 Post by tynman »

A caveat. 20 GB is enough to install Win10 and a few application programs. If you really only intend to run just that one program (ODIN), then it should be OK. For a while.

Ultimately, you would need to disable the Windows auto update thing (which I have never bothered to figure out how to do). Otherwise, it will eventually start to download OS updates and then start installing them, and with only 20 GB to work with, it will run out of space and fail.

I learned this recently when I bought a lightweight ASUS notebook with a 32 GB SSD and Win 10 pre-installed. I added a 120GB SSD and installed Debian on it, which was the primary purpose for the notebook. But I occasionally booted into Windows for various obscure reasons. Eventually I had to give up on that because the 32 GB SSD just wasn't big enough to run the Windows updates. Now I just don't bother to boot Windows, which is OK. Fortunately I don't really need Windows, at least not on that notebook.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

pylkko wrote:+1

perhaps you made some error if heimdall does not work for you?

However, yes that is a use case where you probably cannot easily use a very simple VM setup.
The heimdall-flash package 1.4.1 package in Debian doesn't support the newer Samsungs, or so I'm told, but I built 1.4.2 for the MX Linux test repo on vanilla Stretch in pbuilder, so it should be Stretch-compatible. Just need people to test it...
MX Linux packager and developer

MagicPoulp

#14 Post by MagicPoulp »

GarryRicketson wrote:I suppose if you trust microsoft, it would be ok. I don't trust them
So many banks only support a bank login on Windows.

But I don't think the windows backdoors are powerful enough or designed to take over the bank login.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by None1975 »

MagicPoulp wrote:But I don't think the windows backdoors are powerful enough or designed to take over the bank login.
You are wrong.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

by MagicPoulp » 2019-01-09 08:42
GarryRicketson wrote:
I suppose if you trust microsoft, it would be ok. I don't trust them

So many banks only support a bank login on Windows.

But I don't think the windows backdoors are powerful enough or designed to take over the bank login.

Myths, produced by MS promoters, I have never had any problems with logging into any banks, online, and I don't use MS windows.
Ironic, here on this forum :
Debian User Forums, and we have this topic,....How to install windows 10 :(
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-01-09 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Question to all Windows users.

You wouldn't go for a ride in a car which has no brakes and no steering, would you?
But you go online with an OS which has horrible privacy and security issues. Just one of these is already showstopper for me, but you go ahead, get your credentials stolen and join a botnet so your computer can be used to commit cybercrimes.
BTW, I have a bridge for sale, you interested?

MagicPoulp

#18 Post by MagicPoulp »

None1975 wrote:
MagicPoulp wrote:But I don't think the windows backdoors are powerful enough or designed to take over the bank login.
You are wrong.
The bank logins are quite advanced. And they require external hardware that one connects via the USB port.

The backdoors in Windows have many applications. But bank logins is not their priority. BAckdoors are often supported by agencies like NSA, FBI, etc. They don't aim to login to the bank of people.

MagicPoulp

#19 Post by MagicPoulp »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Myths, produced by MS promoters, I have never had any problems with logging into any banks, online, and I don't use MS windows.
Ironic, here on this forum :
Debian User Forums, and we have this topic,....How to install windows 10 :(
OK I generalized too fast. Not all banks. My bank requires windows to login.

If you play games, Windows only is supported for most games. Certain games can be played in "wine" emulation under Linux, but it is very cumbersome to configure and bug-prone.

Certain applications on windows can be nice. My digital camera software requires Windows. Skype works better on Windows.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#20 Post by None1975 »

MagicPoulp wrote: They don't aim to login to the bank of people.
You are wrong again. Trust me. They do so :twisted:
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github