Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Secondary dual boot Windows 10 kills main Debian partition?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevepusser

Re: Secondary dual boot Windows 10 kills main Debian partiti

#21 Post by stevepusser »

debian121212 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are than Windows malware messing up Debian.
You mean "I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are *GREATER* than Windows malware messing up Debian?

You think a 40 dollar separate hard drive is worth it just to root my phone and play WoW with the full graphical bells and whistles or not necessary?

They charge like 50 USD just to unblock my phone which is just flash a custom firmware so I'd rather get a 50 USD hard drive inside the box to run win 10 on the metal if theres no ability to virtualization, and besides for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
Did you bother to try the newer heimdall-flash 1.4.2 I built for MX Linux?

Edited my above post to fix the typo...
MX Linux packager and developer

debian121212

#22 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:
debian121212 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are than Windows malware messing up Debian.
You mean "I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are *GREATER* than Windows malware messing up Debian?

You think a 40 dollar separate hard drive is worth it just to root my phone and play WoW with the full graphical bells and whistles or not necessary?

They charge like 50 USD just to unblock my phone which is just flash a custom firmware so I'd rather get a 50 USD hard drive inside the box to run win 10 on the metal if theres no ability to virtualization, and besides for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
Did you bother to try the newer heimdall-flash 1.4.2 I built for MX Linux?

Edited my above post to fix the typo...
So awesome to find an actual developer online! You created helmdal or just adapted for MX or something?

I mean ms / the other developers who dont code for linux are the problem, not the actual linux coders. MicroSoft ensures weirdly that only their computers are good at using the latest Bells And Whistles. Its the definition of Monopoly in SoftWare Rights or something.

This Built For Win is the most hated thing ever.

Can you guarantee it will work with sprint galaxy s7? Right now I lost access to a phone. As soon as I get another phone Ill try it out.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

I'm not a coder, but I do know how to get the newer source and package it correctly...that "stuff" that Jerry refers to in the MX thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47682

It worked for the original poster's Galaxy 5, but I don't know about the 7. It costs nothing to try, though.

Here's a direct download of the debs. You want the MX 17 versions for Stretch, and to install the heimdall-flash deb for your platform. Install the -frontend deb if you want a GUI. Do not install the dbgsym packages by mistake--they are only for debugging. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EiJ5K ... UQx3GlM22N
MX Linux packager and developer

debian121212

#24 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:I'm not a coder, but I do know how to get the newer source and package it correctly...that "stuff" that Jerry refers to in the MX thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47682

It worked for the original poster's Galaxy 5, but I don't know about the 7. It costs nothing to try, though.

Here's a direct download of the debs. You want the MX 17 versions for Stretch, and to install the heimdall-flash deb for your platform. Install the -frontend deb if you want a GUI. Do not install the dbgsym packages by mistake--they are only for debugging. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EiJ5K ... UQx3GlM22N

Well thats awesome, I never wanted Windows Odin in the first place, will give it a shot as soon as I get a new phone