Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Secondary dual boot Windows 10 kills main Debian partition?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Secondary dual boot Windows 10 kills main Debian partiti

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debian121212 wrote:for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
No, you are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FI31QDtyy4
deadbang

debian121212

#17 Post by debian121212 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
debian121212 wrote:for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
No, you are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FI31QDtyy4

Great!!!! The least thing I want is to use Win. Ill give it a shot even if its 95; lets see if I can implement this hopefully it will be 95 per cent that is unnoticeabley inferior than 100 for Hytale.
Last edited by debian121212 on 2019-01-08 07:15, edited 2 times in total.

debian121212

#18 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:Heimdall-flash is still 1.4.1 in Debian, but a certain Stretch-compatible distro has 1.4.2 in a test repo...

https://repology.org/metapackage/heimda ... h/versions

I would also say just backup Debian first before installing Windows...you should do regular backups anyways. I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are than Windows malware messing up Debian.

I also have Win10 dual boot on two laptops, but hardly ever boot it up. I thought the hibernation switch was a "fast shutdown" switch myself. "Fast startup" is an option in most BIOS setups that everyone recommends turning off, but really, that has no effect on Linux booting. I think they are confusing it with the Windows setting.

Maybe Ill give Helmdall a second chance

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

stevepusser wrote: "Fast startup" is an option in most BIOS setups that everyone recommends turning off, but really, that has no effect on Linux booting. I think they are confusing it with the Windows setting.
Aren't you confusing "fast startup" with "fast boot" ?
Fast boot is a BIOS/UEFI option.
Fast startup is a Windows 8+ option.

trinidad

#20 Post by trinidad »

Well I have three dual boot machines with Windows 10: two with Debian stable, and one with Linux Lite. I have also set up several for customers. There are several things you should know, and several things to be prepared for, and some specifics to know.

1) Windows 10 needs to be the first OS listed in grub whether EFI or MBR, and whether or not it is first on the disk. This is because during updates Windows may automatically reboot more than once.

2) If you dual boot with Debian either burn a DVD, or USB stick of the Debian net install ISO. This will give you easy access to the Debian rescue mode in the event of a boot failure, something in Debian which almost always works. With Ubuntu based distros you just need the live ISO disk to run manual fsck and repair grub and/or EFI with.

3) It's also a good idea to have a Windows 10 installation disk on hand for the same reasons.

4) The most common problem users have with dual booting is file corruption and orphaning due to interrupted Windows updates. When dual booting remember to press and hold the shift key down before selecting shut down in Windows 10 and continue to hold it down until the computer goes off. This prevents file corruption due to Windows 10 hanging or interrupted updates. NEVER restart from Windows and then select Debian from the grub menu !!

5) It is extremely unlikely that you will cause any cross platform malware seeding by dual booting. Also Windows 10 is a lot more secure than you think at the bottom end these days and what you consider risk has to do with web extensions, scripting, and general web malware. If you web browse with Windows 10 you should have good AV protection, and good secure connection protection. Norton or Kaspersky are both good choices. Never forward router ports for RDP on your Windows 10 machine unless you have sound blacklisting software to protect the port. Rename and disable the default installation Administrator account. It is disabled by default in windows 10 but go ahead and rename it and add a password as well if you are going to use any form of RDP. Also disable the guest account. Web bots will be hunting you. If your Windows 10 is on an older Intel machine install the Gibson Spectre/Meltdown checker to see where you're at with CPU updates.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

stevepusser

#21 Post by stevepusser »

debian121212 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are than Windows malware messing up Debian.
You mean "I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are *GREATER* than Windows malware messing up Debian?

You think a 40 dollar separate hard drive is worth it just to root my phone and play WoW with the full graphical bells and whistles or not necessary?

They charge like 50 USD just to unblock my phone which is just flash a custom firmware so I'd rather get a 50 USD hard drive inside the box to run win 10 on the metal if theres no ability to virtualization, and besides for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
Did you bother to try the newer heimdall-flash 1.4.2 I built for MX Linux?

Edited my above post to fix the typo...
MX Linux packager and developer

debian121212

#22 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:
debian121212 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are than Windows malware messing up Debian.
You mean "I think the chances of Debian getting ruined by hardware failure or a cosmic ray are *GREATER* than Windows malware messing up Debian?

You think a 40 dollar separate hard drive is worth it just to root my phone and play WoW with the full graphical bells and whistles or not necessary?

They charge like 50 USD just to unblock my phone which is just flash a custom firmware so I'd rather get a 50 USD hard drive inside the box to run win 10 on the metal if theres no ability to virtualization, and besides for a high end bells and whistles graphical driver feature centric video game experience virtualization is not good enough compared to on the metal windows on a separate HD, am I correct?
Did you bother to try the newer heimdall-flash 1.4.2 I built for MX Linux?

Edited my above post to fix the typo...
So awesome to find an actual developer online! You created helmdal or just adapted for MX or something?

I mean ms / the other developers who dont code for linux are the problem, not the actual linux coders. MicroSoft ensures weirdly that only their computers are good at using the latest Bells And Whistles. Its the definition of Monopoly in SoftWare Rights or something.

This Built For Win is the most hated thing ever.

Can you guarantee it will work with sprint galaxy s7? Right now I lost access to a phone. As soon as I get another phone Ill try it out.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

I'm not a coder, but I do know how to get the newer source and package it correctly...that "stuff" that Jerry refers to in the MX thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47682

It worked for the original poster's Galaxy 5, but I don't know about the 7. It costs nothing to try, though.

Here's a direct download of the debs. You want the MX 17 versions for Stretch, and to install the heimdall-flash deb for your platform. Install the -frontend deb if you want a GUI. Do not install the dbgsym packages by mistake--they are only for debugging. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EiJ5K ... UQx3GlM22N
MX Linux packager and developer

debian121212

#24 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:I'm not a coder, but I do know how to get the newer source and package it correctly...that "stuff" that Jerry refers to in the MX thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47682

It worked for the original poster's Galaxy 5, but I don't know about the 7. It costs nothing to try, though.

Here's a direct download of the debs. You want the MX 17 versions for Stretch, and to install the heimdall-flash deb for your platform. Install the -frontend deb if you want a GUI. Do not install the dbgsym packages by mistake--they are only for debugging. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EiJ5K ... UQx3GlM22N

Well thats awesome, I never wanted Windows Odin in the first place, will give it a shot as soon as I get a new phone