Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Space allocation +500MB for /var/lib/apt/lists

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
c.monty

Space allocation +500MB for /var/lib/apt/lists

#1 Post by c.monty »

Hi,
I'm running a small application on Debian.
Checking the space allocation of the root disk I can see that /var/lib/apt/lists allocates +500MB.

The details of current space alloction is this:

Code: Select all

--- /var/lib/apt/lists ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         /..
  126,3 MiB [##########] /partial
   47,1 MiB [###       ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources
   45,3 MiB [###       ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-amd64_Packages
   42,2 MiB [###       ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_buster_main_binary-amd64_Packages
   38,4 MiB [###       ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_buster_main_source_Sources
   37,1 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_binary-amd64_Packages
   32,6 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_binary-amd64_Packages
   32,2 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_source_Sources
   31,2 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_source_Sources
   30,4 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_Translation-en
   27,7 MiB [##        ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_buster_main_i18n_Translation-en
   25,2 MiB [#         ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_i18n_Translation-en
   21,4 MiB [#         ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en
    7,3 MiB [          ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-de
    7,1 MiB [          ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_Translation-de
    6,8 MiB [          ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_i18n_Translation-de
    6,6 MiB [          ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_buster_main_i18n_Translation-de
    4,2 MiB [          ]  deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch-backports_main_source_Sources
Question:
How can I reduce and limit space allocation in /var/lib/apt/lists?

THX & happy new year!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Space allocation +500MB for /var/lib/apt/lists

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

c.monty wrote:How can I reduce and limit space allocation in /var/lib/apt/lists?
Reduce the number of repositories. And delete the files periodically (or place /var in a subvolume and enforce a quota if you're running ZFS).

Mixed systems can be tricky to handle in Debian, is there a particular reason you're not running pure Debian stable?
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Unstable, buster, stretch, stretch-backports and jessie. It is FrankenDebian. You deserve the first place in repository mich-mach parade.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

c.monty

#4 Post by c.monty »

OK.
I have removed buster and jessie.

I need unstable because package freeipa-client is only available in unstable.

Hereby I reduce space allocation to 246,5 MiB.

Any other advise?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

You are no longer using the Debian system, but it is not clear what. The easiest way is to start from scratch. Install Debian 9 with .netinstall and then upgrade it to unstable. But remember! Given its nature, it can break at any point. It is was designed to break randomly at any given time.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github