Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

has anyone switched to wayland to replace X?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MagicPoulp

has anyone switched to wayland to replace X?

#1 Post by MagicPoulp »

Has anyone switched to the display server wayland instead of X?

What kind of things become faster?

Does it affect stability since X is more time-proven?

pylkko

Re: has anyone switched to wayland to replace X?

#2 Post by pylkko »

MagicPoulp wrote:Has anyone switched to the display server wayland instead of X?

What kind of things become faster?

Does it affect stability since X is more time-proven?
I have used it primarily for many years. I mean that on some machines and ocasions I still use X, but mostly I use Wayland.

I don't think anything is faster with Wayland. Some things are slower, or at least it feels like that, I haven't actually measured anything. If with stability you mean like crashes, then I don't think so. Well, I have had many X server crashes, and nothing like that with Wayland, but this probably is because of the differences in design. Wayland has suffered from a serious lack of support from software, which means that either older software does not launch at all, or it requires Xwayland, a sort of translation layer which probably hurts performance. But this situation has improved recently and there are constantly more programs that can run on Wayland natively. Also, in the past there were some issues such as windows not always rendering properly and not being able to copy-paste between windows from Xwayland to native. But these issues are gone also. When some new program gets ported to Wayland you can expect minor problems in the initial versions.

MagicPoulp

#3 Post by MagicPoulp »

If debian stable has X by default, it is obviously because it is more stable and with wider support.

By stable, I refer all forms of disturbances, not just crashes.

So if it is not much faster for what I do, I don't see the benefit for myself of moving to wayland.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MagicPoulp wrote:By stable, I refer all forms of disturbances, not just crashes
^ That is not what Debian mean when they describe their release as "stable" — the adjective refers to the static package versions rather than reliability.

It is true that Debian stable is very reliable (partly because of the fixed versions) but this is just a happy coincidence.

Debian buster should run GNOME on Wayland as the default desktop when it is released.

EDIT: I have a stretch package for sway if you want to try Wayland with the current stable release:

https://software.opensuse.org//download ... ckage=sway

Needs updating though :?
deadbang

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

MagicPoulp wrote:If debian stable has X by default, it is obviously because it is more stable and with wider support.

By stable, I refer all forms of disturbances, not just crashes.

So if it is not much faster for what I do, I don't see the benefit for myself of moving to wayland.
Yes this is true although it is now over two years since that decision was made and I don't know if the default session in Debian 10 will be based on X or not. Apparently not.

It is most likely not faster for you but if you are interested here is a four page article on the differences and about the possible benefits of using Wayland

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... tion&num=1

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MagicPoulp wrote:benefit for myself of moving to wayland.
Wayland is significantly more secure than Xorg.
deadbang

MagicPoulp

#7 Post by MagicPoulp »

The article says among other things that X can show frames in disorder.

"As a security precaution...your screensaver and locker are apart of the compositor. This has an added benefit because your compositor (Eg: kwin) DOES understand your media keys, so even while your screen is locked you can still mute your media."

Debian_purist

#8 Post by Debian_purist »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wayland is significantly more secure than Xorg.
hi , how to install it on Sid ?

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

You should at least try to make some effort on your part,
How to install wayland on Debian sid
https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland
====
https://packages.debian.org/sid/freerdp2-wayland
Maybe something like

Code: Select all

apt install freerdp2-wayland
or see :

Code: Select all

man apt
There are a lot more results, I suggest reading them, I only selected a couple, these just scratch the surface, it would be to your advantage to read more, before actually installing.
Also note , when you read 'man apt' , the -s option, "simulate", it might be of use, to get some idea as to what other dependencies, problems, etc might occur.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1
Debian_purist wrote:how to install it on Sid ?
Both GNOME and Plasma already offer Wayland sessions in sid.
deadbang