Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How come switching to a virtual terminal is nearly imposible

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kanliot

How come switching to a virtual terminal is nearly imposible

#1 Post by kanliot »

I used to run debian on an 10 year old Pentium 4, with a stock 160GB hard drive. Even when it was hitting swap, I could still get to a virtual terminal and kill things in a few seconds.

I ran out of RAM today when I visited a bad web page in Firefox.

How come I used to be able to get to a virtual terminal in Debian 7, when my machine was swapping, but now, with my new Debian, on a 2013 PC, it just hangs for 20 minutes and never shows up? BTW, my swap size is only 1GB.

I am mostly just complaining here but this is darned annoying.

bw123

Re: How come switching to a virtual terminal is nearly impos

#2 Post by bw123 »

Well, it could be because of the way the system was redisigned to allow browsers to do insane things like that? Browsers do a lot of hardware manipulation now, not like it used to be...

There are a couple different htreads on here about trying to tame the v60 Firefox. But nobody can say for sure if that's what direction you need to go. You really didn't describe the issue, ff ver, or even give a link to the webpage?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kanliot

Re: How come switching to a virtual terminal is nearly impos

#3 Post by kanliot »

strange things with hardware Browsers do a lot of hardware manipulation
No idea what you mean here.

I was able to get off VT7 in about 30s. Then waited 20 min after typing in password into VT1. Nothing. Then I switched back to VT7 and I killed X.org with sysreq-K.