[SOLVED] go back to windows?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[SOLVED] go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 08:05

switched from windows to deb a month ago and am a happy camper
it does everything i need to do which is pretty much internet browsing and netflix
had to switch because windows had outgrown my machine's hardware specs like a malignant tumour
it ran slow a molasses
and its not even that underpowered machine, i5 3rd gen, 4gig ram

so my question is is there any reason u folks ever login into windows?
anything u cant get done here in deb?

forget games - not my scene. i would buy a dedicated gaming console if i ever wanted to dip into that
Last edited by sickpig on 2019-01-31 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby bw123 » 2019-01-28 11:11

You should probably keep one windows machine available. Some things I need one for occasionally are bios tools, flash progs, hardware misc stuff that vendors release now and then, and of course halo and ff7 once every so often. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get certain printers or other hardware to work on anything except windows. I think if you have a need for fat or ntfs devices it's probably better to do filesystem repair on windows. I really haven't found a better tool than chkdsk for those.
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3787
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02

Re: go back to windows?

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-01-28 15:30

so my question is is there any reason u folks ever login into windows?

I don't know who "u folks " is ?, We do have a lot of windows users here, and they all have excuses for why they want to keep using it.
But , me and some others , no, there is no real reason to ever login to windows, or keep it on a PC, there are many good reasons not to.
In this thread:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139587#p688164
I shared this link: https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
It goes into the reasons NOT to use the MS malware.

I suppose if that is what they use where you work, and you are required to use those PC's then you would have to use it.
I have not used any windows on my PC's since back in 1998 or so, and don't see any reason to start using it now, it has nothing I need.
So I disagree with the above :
You should probably keep one windows machine available
There is no real reason, but those that want to have it, want to have it, so that is why they keep it and that is fine.
If you don't want to support MS and windows, then you do need to take time and care when purchasing hardware, There is tons of Microsoft specific hardware, and it should be avoided as well, other wise you are forced to use their mal ware and it becomes a endless cycle.
Saddly, the windows promoters that frequent this forum keep starting these kind of topics, I can't speak for others but personally I find it annoying, I mean this forum is supposed to be about using and installing Debian, NOT about your excuses and reasons to keep using MS windows.
In yet another topic, someone blame MS for ruining Linux, but honestly, look at all the so called Linux users that post, and the first thing they do is complain, "I can do this on Windows, but not on Linux", so the Linux users put pressure on the developers to make it more like their beloved Windows, and it has become that way, now they cry about the problems that came with making it more like windows,...Linux users have nobody else to blame but their selves for making it this way, but I supposed that would be another topic.
Maybe I should take a vacation, the nonsense that has become so much a part of the Linux world, in the development , etc, and the nonsense I see here, it is all really starting to get depressing, and I don't need to be depressed, I do have better things to do,. so with that said, I close this.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-01-28 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: go back to windows?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-01-28 15:38

sickpig wrote:is there any reason u folks ever login into windows?

No, thank $DEITY.

I used to have to use it to watch MotoGP (pipelight never worked for me) but they've moved over to HTML5 now so I can even watch it from OpenBSD.

For games, I find that CS:GO runs at the same framerate under Arch Linux as it does under Windows, which is nice.

We have Win10 on the family laptop but only for my grand-daughter — her school favors powerpoint for their homework, which is absolutely infuriating but my complaints are met with deaf ears... :x
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8891
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: go back to windows?

Postby Danielsan » 2019-01-28 15:47

sickpig wrote:switched from windows to deb a month ago and am a happy camper
it does everything i need to do which is pretty much internet browsing and netflix
had to switch because windows had outgrown my machine's hardware specs like a malignant tumour
it ran slow a molasses
and its not even that underpowered machine, i5 3rd gen, 4gig ram

so my question is is there any reason u folks ever login into windows?
anything u cant get done here in deb?

forget games - not my scene. i would buy a dedicated gaming console if i ever wanted to dip into that


Usually a lot people come back very soon, the resistance to a change wins when you don't have a real motivation to hold on at the first issues. Your motivation was the same as mine many years ago, my computer was barely able to work with WinXP just because XP was bloated.

From my experience there are commons reason why people came back to Win:

1. Hardware incompatibility, one of your hardware doesn't work with Linux or it needs a workaround that is constantly broken by updates.
2. A software you like it doesn't exist on GNU and the alternatives aren't at the same level (for example Adobe CC).
3. All the people your are in contact use M$ Office and you LibreOffice and your files have always the layout broken in M$ Office.
4. People do not understand the concept behind the repo, do not know how installing packages and start to install packages everywhere but the repository, and they end up breaking the system.
5. If any issue happens for some reason does not exist any gui tool to fix it, only the terminal, people got scared and leave GNU.
6. Lacks of proper documentation, for example Debian has one of the worst documentation available on line not feasible for newbie users.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sgage » 2019-01-28 16:13

GarryRicketson wrote:
so my question is is there any reason u folks ever login into windows?

I don't know who "u folks " is ?, We do have a lot of windows users here, and they all have excuses for why they want to keep using it.
But , me and some others , no, there is no real reason to ever login to windows, or keep it on a PC, there are many good reasons not to.
In this thread:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139587#p688164
I shared this link: https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
It goes into the reasons NOT to use the MS malware.

I suppose if that is what they use where you work, and you are required to use those PC's then you would have to use it.
I have not used any windows on my PC's since back in 1998 or so, and don't see any reason to start using it now, it has nothing I need.
So I disagree with the above :
You should probably keep one windows machine available
There is no real reason, but those that want to have it, want to have it, so that is why they keep it and that is fine....

.....I mean this forum is supposed to be about using and installing Debian, NOT about your excuses and reasons to keep using MS windows.


I broadly agree with your points here. I mean there actually do exist specialist situations that require Windows. If you need to run ArcGIS on your computer, you need Windows. If you use certain scientific field equipment, you need to run Windows to interface with it, offload and analyze the data. Etc. But the vast majority of people don't 'need' Windows.

I'm happy to say that I no longer require Windows for anything. But then, I am not now and never have been a gamer :lol:
sgage
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2013-03-10 21:00

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 18:24

bw123 wrote:Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get certain printers or other hardware to work on anything except windows.


I hear you, but thats what office printers are for :D
I cant remember the last time i had to print anything but if i do then without fail i use office printer
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 18:32

GarryRicketson wrote:
In yet another topic, someone blame MS for ruining Linux, but honestly, look at all the so called Linux users that post, and the first thing they do is complain, "I can do this on Windows, but not on Linux", so the Linux users put pressure on the developers to make it more like their beloved Windows, and it has become that way, now they cry about the problems that came with making it more like windows,...Linux users have nobody else to blame but their selves for making it this way, but I supposed that would be another topic.


Look at what an abomination gnome has become. its turned into another resource hogging, bloated Windows. I dont mind adding hardware, but just the base OS utilizing so much resources, 30 - 35 % is just plain stupid. And with gnome that is excatly what happens.

I for one am eternally thankful to Windows for pushing me towards Debian. I am reveling in all the freed up system resousces which were otherwise hogged by windows just to run the base system.

Here I have complete freedom to replace DE, WM or any aspect of the OS. Love it. Freeeeeeedom!!!
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 18:41

Danielsan wrote:2. A software you like it doesn't exist on GNU and the alternatives aren't at the same level (for example Adobe CC).
3. All the people your are in contact use M$ Office and you LibreOffice and your files have always the layout broken in M$ Office.


I felt the need for adobe pdf reader but then found foxit. it is better than adobe pdf in many aspects.

Also the issue of office doc compatibility but i just use O365 office online and anyway i have a win laptop for office work.

But for personal use am very happy with Deb, it lets me do so much more.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 18:42

sgage wrote:But the vast majority of people don't 'need' Windows.


fair enough. I think am in that majority too.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 18:47

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:We have Win10 on the family laptop but only for my grand-daughter — her school favors powerpoint for their homework, which is absolutely infuriating but my complaints are met with deaf ears... :x


true that

but i see now "linux" is everywhere, on all iot devices as well as "smart" devices/appliances.

Its just a matter of one generation.

The next one will be on Linux :)
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby pylkko » 2019-01-28 20:06

I have not used windows in many many years. I last used it with Vista. I kept a win 10 virtual machine on my laptop in case I need it. Never needed it and so then moved it to an external usb drive and it has been there without use for years. I even updated the UEFI twice (it does not require windows). An older laptop that I have needed a BIOS update and it was only available in .exe, but even then I used the open source FreeDOS and didn't need windows.
User avatar
pylkko
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: 2014-11-06 19:02

go back to windows?

Postby Robhrh » 2019-01-28 22:17

I keep at least one Win system around just to keep myself familiar with the system so I can help friends/family and others who's systems I need to work on. I've been looking to setup an Apple system just for learning as well but I haven't yet. Otherwise I use Debian for everything.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Robhrh
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 2018-10-24 11:58

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 22:42

I have a work license for vmware DAAS, it has heaps of windows machines of all the current supported versions. i can just access it via a browser. and chrome supports web usb these days i think. havent tried it though. but good to know that, that option is there if needed.

accessing windows (if ever required) this way is less resource intensive when compared against maintaining a virtual machine i think

the other day i had to use windows to sign a pdf in adobe reader, but then i discovered foxit reader for deb. so prob solved.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: go back to windows?

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-28 22:46

pylkko wrote:I have not used windows in many many years. I last used it with Vista. I kept a win 10 virtual machine on my laptop in case I need it. Never needed it and so then moved it to an external usb drive and it has been there without use for years. I even updated the UEFI twice (it does not require windows). An older laptop that I have needed a BIOS update and it was only available in .exe, but even then I used the open source FreeDOS and didn't need windows.


good to know one can get by solely on Linux. Thanks for sharing.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Next

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

fashionable