Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] go back to windows?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GarryRicketson

Re: go back to windows?

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

A few years ago, I was travelling and had to do something on a computer, print some document, or something, any way since I did not have my laptop with me (usually I do), I went to a public library and used one their computers, it was Windows, and it was so embarrassing, I was totally lost, could not find a command prompt, or anything, finally I asked one of the librarians to help me, she did, and went so fast I did not really see what she did, clicked a few things, and it was printed to their printer. Honestly I do not see how people work with such a god awful , user unfriendly, OS and fail to understand why so many prefer it.
Really it is to bad the public libraries don't keep at least one or 2 PC's that are non windows, maybe there are some that do, don't know on that.

sickpig

#17 Post by sickpig »

GarryRicketson wrote:A few years ago, I was travelling and had to do something on a computer, print some document, or something, any way since I did not have my laptop with me (usually I do), I went to a public library and used one their computers, it was Windows, and it was so embarrassing, I was totally lost, could not find a command prompt, or anything, finally I asked one of the librarians to help me, she did, and went so fast I did not really see what she did, clicked a few things, and it was printed to their printer. Honestly I do not see how people work with such a god awful , user unfriendly, OS and fail to understand why so many prefer it.
Really it is to bad the public libraries don't keep at least one or 2 PC's that are non windows, maybe there are some that do, don't know on that.
Windows is super user friendly and with zero learning curve, probably because every computer user of this or last generation was just born into it.

If anyone says linux is easy than windows, off the bat, then they are lying. Period.

fair's fair.

It has got lot of pluses. I would not hate it unnecessarily.

But yeah in terms of resource hogging it is second to none. I mean 1.4 gig of ram out of 4 for just base OS is pure crazy. Blatant wastage of hardware.

And the hard disk read write was always on for no reason like it was haunted.

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sickpig wrote:Windows is super user friendly and with zero learning curve, probably because every computer user of this or last generation was just born into it.

If anyone says linux is easy than windows, off the bat, then they are lying. Period.
Nice of you to acknowledge the existence of users like myself & Garry who started out using computers when there was no such thing as a graphical user interface...

For people like us the command line is the "normal" interface and anything else is just a confusing pile of nonsense — babies point, adults talk ;)
deadbang

sickpig

#19 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:babies point, adults talk ;)
:lol: :D thats nice one. I like
true, without gui i would be alice in wonderland

sgage

#20 Post by sgage »

"If anyone says linux is easy than windows, off the bat, then they are lying. Period."

Please don't make idiotic totalizing statements like that, and then follow them up with the idiotic, thought-stopping 'Period.'

What I think you meant to say was... "If anyone says Linux is easier to use for someone who has never seen it before, and has used nothing but Windows all their life, they are wrong, in my opinion."

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#21 Post by None1975 »

I don't need Windows products. Why? Because Microsoft's Software is Malware!
Here is information for thought https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware ... ft.en.html
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Danielsan

#22 Post by Danielsan »

sickpig wrote:Windows is super user friendly and with zero learning curve, probably because every computer user of this or last generation was just born into it.
I would argue the exact contrary, I recently setup a new computer for my wife with W10 and I didn't remember how obscure and redundant are the Windows OSes, everything is a continue session of nested options there is nothing just at one click away like GNU or even macOS. For every stupid thing you have to open at least 3 dialogs, awful, a nightmare.

I am very happy to have decided ten years ago to make a complete switch to GNU/Linux!

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ It is actually possible to do most things in Win10 from the powershell command-line interface but it's not common knowledge and the syntax is bizarre if you're used to Unix-like operating systems.

I actually quite like powershell, it's rather efficient and *much* better than all those dialogue boxes, IMO.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by CwF »

Be real. The two system really don't compete. Sure they overlap, and for meany their 100% use case is within that overlap. When that is not the case, it's not the case.

I run software that cost more than my computer. It doesn't run on Linux. It NEVER will. It does run IN Linux, in a hardware assisted vm.

My first log on was sync-on-green. Not even ncurses 'graphics'. The ability to display massive data in a fluid and dynamic way is not possible without a modern gui. Sometimes complexity is simplicity. Most things I've moved from MS to Linux result in more clicks, not fewer. If MS has that option nested 3 dialogs deep, that's not over complex BS when the alternative is no option other than a long command line you could type wrong. I did 3d CAD on a command line, line by line of vector based instruction. In no way a fun or better way to do it. The command line can be better for seldom done things where a GUI might need a complicated layout, and why have such complexity for something rarely done. So system admin, maybe cli is better. Most programs don't fit that model of useage.

Bloat is all you people. You can trim down older windows, I don't need to bother with anything past XP. Of my 7 currently running vm's 2 are XP. One, running 3 programs is at 265MB, the hardware assisted one is idling with nothing much going on at 278MB. They start up around 138MB. But then again, what does it matter. RAM is CHEAP. My debians are not that small, and less functional in many ways.

Overall, People use Windows because they have to. People use Linux because they CAN.

Danielsan

#25 Post by Danielsan »

I don't get your post.

Your personal experience still remain your personal experience.

Saying that W10 is super user friendly it is simply not true. MacOS is really super friendly everything is related with the system and the hardware it is into one, easy to understand, control panel, it is really dumb proof.

The XFCE control panel is clearly inspired to the macOS control panel, and it is very intuitive, unless you don't stumble in some hardware issue everything is pretty easy to setup, for example now I am dealing with an Nvidia Card and a second monitor, of course on GNU/Linux you have always problem with proprietary stuff...

sickpig

#26 Post by sickpig »

CwF wrote:I run software that cost more than my computer. It doesn't run on Linux. It NEVER will. It does run IN Linux, in a hardware assisted vm.
Am curious to understand why it wont EVER run on linux? is it a hardware limitation? if that is the case then your software wont run in any OS or will lag if it runs.

sickpig

#27 Post by sickpig »

Danielsan wrote:The XFCE control panel is clearly inspired to the macOS control panel, and it is very intuitive, unless you don't stumble in some hardware issue everything is pretty easy to setup, for example now I am dealing with an Nvidia Card and a second monitor, of course on GNU/Linux you have always problem with proprietary stuff...
you got that right. am a big fan of xfce myself. not the DE though. I use just the panel with openbox. so intuitive it is.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by CwF »

sickpig wrote:Am curious to understand why it wont EVER run on linux? is it a hardware limitation? if that is the case then your software wont run in any OS or will lag if it runs.
Period specific software and hardware connections that have no real market to reinvest in.
Many gadgets OBDII and prior, for flashing and programming ECM's, TCM's and other 'modules'. There are large categories of hardware/software combos that were originally vertical in their market. They have been saturated and left behind. Sometimes there isn't a next generation. Generally, it's lucky that usable software made it to the desktop to begin with, and that software is all there is that does what it does. It typically runs under emulations. The hardware it hooks to usually doesn't like emulation. Serial port equipment is usually ok, usb often needs a real hardware passed port. Qemu KVM with vfio hardware does fine, running XP.

sickpig

#29 Post by sickpig »

Thanks for sharing CwF

thats what even i see most vendors dont release linux specific software

take adobe pdf reader for instance, but its their loss, i just shifted to foxit. Which is better in many aspects.

also google drive, no easy usable official alternative. i know there are command line alternatives. but I prefer gui for daily tasks. so i shifted to dropbox

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#30 Post by arochester »

take adobe pdf reader for instance
You can install acroread in Debian.
also google drive, no easy usable official alternative.
What does "official alternative" mean? I just use Google Drive in Linux. Alternatives are https://alternativeto.net/software/goog ... form=linux
i see most vendors dont release linux specific software
Vendor=somebody who wants to sell you something. Most of Linux is free as in free beer...

sickpig

#31 Post by sickpig »

ok, I had started this post to check if I would ever have to go back to windows on my personal pc for want of a specific software or something like that

And it seems that I should be alright with Debian and don't see any express need to log back into windows

only challenge I can think of is possible incompatibility with digital certificates in usb drives. I have to sign some docs once a year using a digi sign which is on a usb stick. I dont think that cert provider has made linux drivers available. But I will see to that when the time comes. For now I am set.

thanks for your responses. appreciated.

shep

#32 Post by shep »

I did not see it mentioned but computing is undergoing a shift to cloud based services. Cloud based services are fine for those who interface with a smart phone. IMHO the cloud is needlessly expensive, slow and insecure for anyone with a Desktop/Workstation.

DeadTOm76
XMMP/Jabber: deadtom@deadtom.me

Re: [SOLVED] go back to windows?

#33 Post by DeadTOm76 »

There hasn't been a windows box in my house since 2009. My kids have used Linux on their PCs, and other than the occasional game that was incompatible, there have been no issues. They mostly game on consoles anyway. My wife has had Linux on two laptops, which she uses every day, and has had no problems. We have a PC set up in our living room as a media/entertainment PC, connected to our TV, and that has worked fantastically. I've been using Linux since 1997, and kept Windows on another partition strictly for gaming, until around 2008 or so. I no longer game like I used to, and the few games that I do still play either have Linux ports, or I play them on the PS4, so there hasn't been any reason to have Windows around for a long, long time.
Last edited by DeadTOm76 on 2019-01-31 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

sickpig

#34 Post by sickpig »

That's heartening to know. Thanks for sharing.

Operating system's main objective in my opinion should b to extract maximum from the hardware it's running on with a lowest possible footprint of its own

It should b an enabler and not otherwise

And deb does that beautifully for my computer.

johna1954

#35 Post by johna1954 »

Run Windows 7 in a VM for one program only 'Dreamweaver' and even that is rarely used. I run my printing business solely on Linux.