[SOLVED] go back to windows?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: go back to windows?

Postby arochester » 2019-01-29 20:41

take adobe pdf reader for instance

You can install acroread in Debian.

also google drive, no easy usable official alternative.

What does "official alternative" mean? I just use Google Drive in Linux. Alternatives are https://alternativeto.net/software/goog ... form=linux

i see most vendors dont release linux specific software
Vendor=somebody who wants to sell you something. Most of Linux is free as in free beer...
arochester

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-30 07:09

ok, I had started this post to check if I would ever have to go back to windows on my personal pc for want of a specific software or something like that

And it seems that I should be alright with Debian and don't see any express need to log back into windows

only challenge I can think of is possible incompatibility with digital certificates in usb drives. I have to sign some docs once a year using a digi sign which is on a usb stick. I dont think that cert provider has made linux drivers available. But I will see to that when the time comes. For now I am set.

thanks for your responses. appreciated.
sickpig

Postby shep » 2019-01-30 14:12

I did not see it mentioned but computing is undergoing a shift to cloud based services. Cloud based services are fine for those who interface with a smart phone. IMHO the cloud is needlessly expensive, slow and insecure for anyone with a Desktop/Workstation.
shep

Re: [SOLVED] go back to windows?

Postby DeadTOm76 » 2019-01-31 15:03

There hasn't been a windows box in my house since 2009. My kids have used Linux on their PCs, and other than the occasional game that was incompatible, there have been no issues. They mostly game on consoles anyway. My wife has had Linux on two laptops, which she uses every day, and has had no problems. We have a PC set up in our living room as a media/entertainment PC, connected to our TV, and that has worked fantastically. I've been using Linux since 1997, and kept Windows on another partition strictly for gaming, until around 2008 or so. I no longer game like I used to, and the few games that I do still play either have Linux ports, or I play them on the PS4, so there hasn't been any reason to have Windows around for a long, long time.
Last edited by DeadTOm76 on 2019-01-31 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
DeadTOm76

Postby sickpig » 2019-01-31 20:59

That's heartening to know. Thanks for sharing.

Operating system's main objective in my opinion should b to extract maximum from the hardware it's running on with a lowest possible footprint of its own

It should b an enabler and not otherwise

And deb does that beautifully for my computer.
sickpig

Postby johna1954 » 2019-02-02 08:22

Run Windows 7 in a VM for one program only 'Dreamweaver' and even that is rarely used. I run my printing business solely on Linux.
johna1954

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-02 08:28

johna1954 wrote:Run Windows 7 in a VM for one program only 'Dreamweaver' and even that is rarely used. I run my printing business solely on Linux.

thats great
y not run dreamviewer in wine though?
sickpig

Postby shabbythought » 2019-02-02 14:30

I wiped my Microsoft Windows partition 12 years ago. The only time I missed Windows was when my bank removed a webbrowser plugin support for Linux (including Debian). However, that was solved a few minutes later by installing their app on my Google Android phone. Thank you Google. ;)
---------------
shabbythought

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-02-02 18:25

I don't need to go back to Windows. The reason for it is because reinstalling Windows is PITA. I can get Debian up and running, fully upgraded in less than a hour.
Windows 10? The procedure last time looked like this:
1. Wait for the installer to boot.
2. Pick your edition and keyboard layout.
3. Next, next
4. "Type your key" I don't need to type it, it's already in the BIOS, so I click that tiny "skip" link.
5. Next, next
6. Oh, a partitioner! It's easy enough to use, but you really get only NTFS, so it's brain-dead simple.
7. Wait for Windows to install the base OS, reboot.
8. Wait a bit more for everything to "get ready".
9. Go through a set of annoying screens, sign in to your MS account or create a basic user. I don't need the PIN, but somehow they force me to make one anyway.
10. Wait a bit more. Get reminded that "they're setting everything up for you".
11. Log in, wait a bit more for superfetch to die so I can actually use it.
12. Update the damn thing. Wait for it to download the drivers and the latest updates like a champ.
13. Wait a bit more.
14. Discover Windows Update didn't install three of my drivers. Get in the Driver Manager, search for details, go to the manufacturers page for my laptop, download correct drivers, install drivers.
15. Accidentally discover that I need yet another driver if I want to have proper fan management. Install HP coolsense.
16. Install HP coolsense again because the first installation failed.
17. Reboot the freaking laptop and pray it works.
18. Install a bucketload of applications because stock Windows apps are crap and useless. Remove bloatware like Candy Crush Saga and co.
19. Download Qbittorrent like a proud Linux user I am. Start a torrent.
20. Get mofo BSOD'd because my Wi-Fi driver somehow crapped out. Also happened to me randomly while watching Youtube videos.
21. Realize that I spent the last 3 and a half hours for nothing and reinstall Debian.

So, thats why I probably won't be going back to Windows.
Wheelerof4te

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-02 19:17

shabbythought wrote:The only time I missed Windows was when my bank removed a webbrowser plugin support for Linux (including Debian). However, that was solved a few minutes later by installing their app on my Google Android phone. Thank you Google. ;)

Thats a neat trick :)
sickpig

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-03 00:12

Wheelerof4te wrote:11. Log in, wait a bit more for superfetch to die so I can actually use it.

continuous hdd read/write and windows hogging it for its own operation is what made windows unusable for me. the only option was to either upgrade to ssd or try other OS
sickpig

Postby bentHnau » 2019-02-07 19:37

I use MS Word for work. I would love to rely on Libreoffice instead, but I'm not sure it's 100% compatible with all Windows Track Changes features in all the Word versions my clients might use. The time-tracking software I use to bill clients no longer supports any distro besides Ubuntu (and it isn't being updated, either), so I need Windows for that as well.
Debian Stretch x64 on a Dell XPS 17 laptop
bentHnau

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-02-07 19:46

Wheelerof4te wrote:Discover Windows Update didn't install three of my drivers.

^ This.

Our family laptop doesn't have a Windows driver for the ethernet card and I can't find one :x

It works OOTB in Debian...
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-07 21:32

bentHnau wrote:I use MS Word for work. I would love to rely on Libreoffice instead, but I'm not sure it's 100% compatible with all Windows Track Changes features in all the Word versions my clients might use. The time-tracking software I use to bill clients no longer supports any distro besides Ubuntu (and it isn't being updated, either), so I need Windows for that as well.

true that, ms office is irreplaceable
sickpig

Postby arochester » 2019-02-07 21:49

There are Linux alternatives to Microsoft Word https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux . WPS writer is good.

You can use Word Online in Linux through your browser if you log onto the likes of outlook.live and use the nine-dot icon on the top left.

When I used to work and they were upgrading Microsoft Word we could not satisfactorily email Word to a recipient who might not have the upgrade. The solution was to send in .rtf format.

What is the name of the time-tracking software???
arochester

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions