the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-01 09:31

any openbox fans here?

for me its best feature is the ability to just go to desktop, right click and select power off to shut ur machine down, no questions asked (i have added the poweroff option to the menu, i dont think its there by default)

in windows i had to fill out a survey (something is running in the background, do u want to save or something like that) before the OS actually shut the machine down

recently shifted from windows so there are going to b unavoidable comparisons :)

what according to you is the best thing/feature about openbox?
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby Danielsan » 2019-02-01 18:06

You haven't listed any features yet... :roll:

I like the small memory footprint and the velocity, however I prefer a full DE, but I wouldn't use LXDE at this point I would use directly Openbox (maybe Bunsenlabs). :wink:
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-01 18:55

Danielsan wrote:You haven't listed any features yet... :roll:


sickpig wrote:for me its best feature is the ability to just go to desktop, right click and select power off to shut ur machine down, no questions asked (i have added the poweroff option to the menu, i dont think its there by default)


even i avoid full DE. I use openbox with just xfce panel. Works quite well
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby Danielsan » 2019-02-01 21:11

That is not a feature simply a WM does not handle those stuff like a DE does, but you can create a custom action or launcher with any DE and achieve the same result... :roll:
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-02-01 21:36

sickpig wrote:its best feature is the ability to just go to desktop, right click and select power off to shut ur machine down, no questions asked

Pressing the power button works for me, no need to click anything :mrgreen:

I like Openbox because it's relatively light on resources, it doesn't have any glaring bugs and yes, the right-click menu is neat (but many other window managers, including XFCE's own, offer this).

As an aside, would it be possible for you to avoid abbreviations like "u"? We don't have a character limit on posts here and it feels like I'm reading a text message from an impatient teenager.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8900
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-01 22:57

Danielsan wrote:That is not a feature simply a WM does not handle those stuff like a DE does, but you can create a custom action or launcher with any DE and achieve the same result... :roll:


the point is to avoid DE and have a light on resources system, which openbox does beautifully
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-01 23:06

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Pressing the power button works for me, no need to click anything :mrgreen:


i control using wireless mouse/keyboard from a distance.... but yes otherwise power button option works

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I like Openbox because it's relatively light on resources, it doesn't have any glaring bugs and yes, the right-click menu is neat (but many other window managers, including XFCE's own, offer this).


i dont use a xfce as a DE, just xfce4-panel added to openbox autostart. So, dont have any other components of xfce like desktop, WM or session settings etc.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:As an aside, would it be possible for you to avoid abbreviations like "u"? We don't have a character limit on posts here and it feels like I'm reading a text message from an impatient teenager.


result of years of phone texting. I suppose m(am) being resource efficient in typing as well :)
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-02-01 23:18

sickpig wrote:i dont use a xfce as a DE, just xfce4-panel added to openbox autostart. So, dont have any other components of xfce like desktop, WM or session settings etc.

Oh really?

Please post the output of
Code: Select all
pgrep -a xfconfd

And I'm slightly surprised that the metric tonne of XFCE dependencies pulled in by the panel don't bother you at all.

Have you tried tint2? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8900
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby tynman » 2019-02-02 00:42

what according to you is the best thing/feature about openbox?

For me there isn't one best thing in isolation, but maybe two or three best things that keep me a faithful Openbox user:
1. it's light-weight - fast,
2. I find it reasonably easy to configure with just using a simple text editor,
3. It seems to be widely used, so there is a ton of info on the web if you have a question about how to do something.
tynman
 
Posts: 88
Joined: 2016-05-03 19:48
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-02 02:17

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Please post the output of
Code: Select all
pgrep -a xfconfd

And I'm slightly surprised that the metric tonne of XFCE dependencies pulled in by the panel don't bother you at all.

Have you tried tint2? :mrgreen:


no, xfconfd is running, 4.7 mb RAM usage, so is gconfd (i think because of geany)
still overall base RAM usage with openbox and xf panel is quite lower than using full fledged xfce

I have tried tint2, its good but i have developed a special affinity for whisker menu so am sticking with xfce-panel. so cool it is. love it.
Last edited by sickpig on 2019-02-02 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34

Re: the best thing/feature u like about openbox?

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-02 02:19

tynman wrote:
what according to you is the best thing/feature about openbox?

For me there isn't one best thing in isolation, but maybe two or three best things that keep me a faithful Openbox user:
1. it's light-weight - fast,
2. I find it reasonably easy to configure with just using a simple text editor,
3. It seems to be widely used, so there is a ton of info on the web if you have a question about how to do something.


true that

i tried other WMs consuming less RAM than openbox but they lack the overall well roundedness of openbox
User avatar
sickpig
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2019-01-23 10:34


Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable