Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Using a "*.debian.tar.gz" file to debian-ize a source pkg

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
fmouse

Using a "*.debian.tar.gz" file to debian-ize a source pkg

#1 Post by fmouse »

I have a couple of packages. Let's call them example-version.tar.gz and example_version.debian.tar.xz. The former is an upstream release of an application. The latter is, I assume, additional files to debian-ize the package prior to generating a .deb package. It contains, among other files, preinst, postinst, postrm and rules executables, but none of the code required to do the main job that "example" is intended to do. If this assumption is correct, what's the correct way to apply the .debian.tar.xz code to the upstream package code?

I apologize if this is answered somewhere else, but I poked about a bit and didn't find the answer, so a link to any instructions specific to this question will do, if they exist.

stevepusser

Re: Using a "*.debian.tar.gz" file to debian-ize a source pk

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The source package tarball must be renamed in exactly this format:

package_version.orig.tar.(gz, bz2, xz)

as in

Code: Select all

foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz
Though some of the helper tools such as dh-make or debmake can help automate this. Then the debian and source folders can be extracted, debian placed into the source, and the package(s) built with the standard Debian commands. I use "debuild" from devscripts for quick local builds myself, though I'm now using pbuilder and sbuild for the MX packages I do, for those system's advantages.
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#3 Post by milomak »

i'm not sure how the 2 part packages will impact, but have a look here - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

milomak wrote:i'm not sure how the 2 part packages will impact, but have a look here - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
Yes, but that guide is for already debianized source, and this question is more about "debianizing" the source in the first place. If you can find already debianized source for a package, most of the work has already been done for you.
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#5 Post by milomak »

it has a section that talks about compiling using dh_make

where a tar.gz is discussed
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid