Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Chromium safe?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MagicPoulp

Re: Is Chromium safe?

#31 Post by MagicPoulp »

Probably because they try to do very unstable things with the graphics card. And certain graphics card or drivers would not support it.

Chrome got a lot of popularity because it was known to be faster than other browsers.

shep

#32 Post by shep »

Maybe Chromium is save, but why then did it freeze my system like I described in a earlier post? Chrome didn't do that ever, just Firefox and only once.
You may be able to mitigate some of this behavior. Under settings Advanced: Disable anything that sends data to Google/Web services, web cam access, microphone access, resolution of navigation errors, payment methods, content settings, and the ability to run background apps when chrome is closed.

The iridium project essentially tries to remove all these features from chromium source.

https://iridiumbrowser.de/

Unfortunately, they develop deb packages in Ubuntu and the debian packages have not worked, without backporting libfontconfig, for some time.

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MagicPoulp wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: ...which includes `rm -rf`
How can such a system be considered secured?
Security is assured by APT's insistence on authenticating the repositories: https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

This is in contrast to, for example, Arch Linux wherein the AUR packages can be installed without any checks at all.
deadbang

No_windows

#34 Post by No_windows »

debiandonder wrote:My thought exactly! How can one program freeze a whole system in this day and age?
I assume by tying up resources... that happens on my old laptop all the time. Sometimes it's only the browser, other times everything stalls.

MagicPoulp

#35 Post by MagicPoulp »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MagicPoulp wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: ...which includes `rm -rf`
How can such a system be considered secured?
Security is assured by APT's insistence on authenticating the repositories: https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

This is in contrast to, for example, Arch Linux wherein the AUR packages can be installed without any checks at all.
Install scripts or scriptlets are not always used. I don't udnerstand why there is not an option to install packages while disabling install scripts, or making sure no install scripts is used.

On Windows, a program install cannot do whatever it wants ever with root priviledges (UAC). Sorry for the reference to Windows. Maybe I don't understand why it must be the way it is on linux.

debiandonder

#36 Post by debiandonder »

No_windows wrote:
debiandonder wrote:My thought exactly! How can one program freeze a whole system in this day and age?
I assume by tying up resources... that happens on my old laptop all the time. Sometimes it's only the browser, other times everything stalls.
That is true and I have had that before. When the browser started acting up and consumed all my 8 gigs of RAM and started to use the SWAP file. Everything slowed down to slow motion. I was able to close the program in the system monitor and everything returned to normal.

The last incident I had was with Chromium 72, latest version in the Debian repository. IT completely froze everything solid. Later I switched to Chrome 73 and no problem.

I am using the latest version of Firefox 65 now and so far so good.

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MagicPoulp wrote:Install scripts or scriptlets are not always used. I don't udnerstand why there is not an option to install packages while disabling install scripts, or making sure no install scripts is used.
Because any install scripts that are provided are usually necessary for the package to work correctly.

And as I already mentioned systemd unit files can also be used maliciously and will be enabled and started automatically by APT so that wouldn't remove the risk completely.
MagicPoulp wrote:On Windows, a program install cannot do whatever it wants ever with root priviledges (UAC).
That's because Windows users don't have official package repositories from which software can be safely installed so they end up downloading software from random websites, which is *very* risky indeed. And I think most users just click away the UAC crap without even reading it...
MagicPoulp wrote:Maybe I don't understand why it must be the way it is on linux.
Doug Gwyn wrote:UNIX was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as that would also stop them from doing clever things.
deadbang

debiandonder

#38 Post by debiandonder »

Great! Debian 9 froze again today and this time it was 0 A.D. Last week it was chromium.

Solid freeze, no input devices work.

Ubuntu did not freeze that much.

Simple setup, with no graphics card and only using opensource drivers.

Head_on_a_Stick

#39 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/memtester?

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Or mixed sources.
deadbang

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

shep wrote:
Maybe Chromium is save, but why then did it freeze my system like I described in a earlier post? Chrome didn't do that ever, just Firefox and only once.
You may be able to mitigate some of this behavior. Under settings Advanced: Disable anything that sends data to Google/Web services, web cam access, microphone access, resolution of navigation errors, payment methods, content settings, and the ability to run background apps when chrome is closed.

The iridium project essentially tries to remove all these features from chromium source.

https://iridiumbrowser.de/

Unfortunately, they develop deb packages in Ubuntu and the debian packages have not worked, without backporting libfontconfig, for some time.
The MX 17 Linux version is built on and should work with vanilla Stretch, ASFAIK:

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/i/iridium-browser/

You can see from the size of the source why I'm a bit reluctant to burden the OBS with a separate build, but anyone else is welcome to give it a go. It needs a lot of RAM to build, I seem to remember--the OBS uses eight threads by default.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiandonder

#41 Post by debiandonder »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://packages.debian.org/stretch/memtester?

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Or mixed sources.
The thing is that both programs that froze my system came from the Debian stable repository. I will try the 0 A.D. from he backports version that's more up to date.

Head_on_a_Stick

#42 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It won't matter which program you run if the problem is a broken memory chip.
deadbang

debiandonder

#43 Post by debiandonder »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:It won't matter which program you run if the problem is a broken memory chip.
Might be, but it doesn't seem to be broken when I use Chrome instead of Chromium.

Head_on_a_Stick

#44 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Faults caused by broken memory chips are intermittent in nature, run the memtester program to which I linked earlier.
deadbang

debiandonder

#45 Post by debiandonder »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Faults caused by broken memory chips are intermittent in nature, run the memtester program to which I linked earlier.
I installed the memtester program from the package manager, but can't find it anywhere. The previous distro had a boot loader with that function but I only have Debian now and have overwritten Windows 7.

How to I access that program?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#46 Post by sunrat »

debiandonder wrote:How to I access that program?
https://lmsptfy.com/?q=memtester%20how%20to%20use
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiandonder

#47 Post by debiandonder »

:lol:

MagicPoulp

#48 Post by MagicPoulp »

What does the syslog say when it freezes?

Since the CPU heat and other factors affect the system failures, you should be ready to run memtester just after your freeze.
-

stevepusser

#49 Post by stevepusser »

0ad and Chromium can also stress the system, leading to lockups from overheating, so I would monitor your CPU temperatures in real time to see how high they get when running those programs. There are a variety of ways to do this, depending on your desktop and your preferences. I like to have mine in the taskbar--right now it's been at 89C (190F) for a while as I backport various versions of the new Liquorix 5.0 kernel with all cores at 100%. :)
MX Linux packager and developer

MagicPoulp

#50 Post by MagicPoulp »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MagicPoulp wrote:Install scripts or scriptlets are not always used. I don't udnerstand why there is not an option to install packages while disabling install scripts, or making sure no install scripts is used.
Because any install scripts that are provided are usually necessary for the package to work correctly.

And as I already mentioned systemd unit files can also be used maliciously and will be enabled and started automatically by APT so that wouldn't remove the risk completely.
MagicPoulp wrote:On Windows, a program install cannot do whatever it wants ever with root priviledges (UAC).
That's because Windows users don't have official package repositories from which software can be safely installed so they end up downloading software from random websites, which is *very* risky indeed. And I think most users just click away the UAC crap without even reading it...
MagicPoulp wrote:Maybe I don't understand why it must be the way it is on linux.
Doug Gwyn wrote:UNIX was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as that would also stop them from doing clever things.
So for the chrome .deb file, I can unpack it and check the scriptlets. And before I update it with apt-get, I can do the same. apt-get has an option -d to just download.

So if one wants to be careful, one can check the scriptlets. So this means chrome does not have full controll over my computer when I use their .deb and their repository for updates. Because I can check the scriptlets.