Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Growing Boot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
millpond

Growing Boot

#1 Post by millpond »

I am not fully done working out some kinks with Buster, and I would like to play with a bunch of kernels of /Boot, but its rapidly running out of space. It is is /dev/sda1, which kind of makes it difficult to expand with gparted. Another method, perhaps not even for debian suggested adding a partition (on a live drive!) and relocating /boot.
If this or a better solution is feasible I would appreciate a link or a faq for something useful for a recent Debian. Google is full of deprecated, if not dangerous crap, with Linux being such a fast moving target these days.
Want to make it at least 1Gb, and keep the old kernels as as long as possible.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Growing Boot

#2 Post by p.H »

Do you need a separate partition for /boot ?

If extending the partition is not convenient, you can create a new partition, copy the contents, update /etc/fstab, mount the new partition instead of the old one, reinstall the boot loader and regenerate the boot loader configuration.

Alternatively, you can save space by reducing the initramfs image size. Replace "MODULES=most" with "MODULES=dep" in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and run "update-initramfs -u -k all" to rebuild all the initramfs images. It includes only required modules for the current hardware instead of including most modules for a generic initramfs.

millpond

#3 Post by millpond »

Excellent advice with the intramfs option.
But here at least a potential problem, as I cannot seem to get my all ny sound modules to load, even with removing blacklists from /etc/modules.
Are there any blacklists elsewhere?
Or a means of forcing all modules for a device to load?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:I cannot seem to get my all ny sound modules to load
The primary purpose of the initramfs is to mount the root filesystem, so unless you need to enable speech synthesis at early boot, I do not see why sound driver modules should be included in the initramfs.
millpond wrote:even with removing blacklists from /etc/modules
AFAIK, /etc/modules cannot define blacklists. It contains the list of modules to be loaded at boot time.
millpond wrote:Are there any blacklists elsewhere?
Module blacklists can be defined in /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf. A copy of these files is included when the initramfs is built so that they are enforced at early boot too (otherwise, blacklisted modules could be loaded at early boot by the initramfs).
millpond wrote:Or a means of forcing all modules for a device to load?
You can force inclusion and loading of arbitrary modules in the initramfs by listing them in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and rebuilding the initramfs with update-initramfs.
However, modules matching detected devices which were not included in the initramfs should be loaded during normal init (unless they are blacklisted of course).