Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Networking problem - no wifi or ethernet connectivity

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
biigii

Re: Networking problem - no wifi or ethernet connectivity

#16 Post by biigii »

hehe yes hope i have learnt a lesson now! this is third time that i have destroyed my Linux and had to reinstall everything

biigii

#17 Post by biigii »

ok i give up and install Buster now. thanks so much for trying to help though man.

L_V

#18 Post by L_V »

biigii wrote:this is third time that i have destroyed my Linux and had to reinstall everything
Really ? Then ... enough is enough.

Deb-fan

#19 Post by Deb-fan »

Learn thee the raw power of chroot from live session/USB-etc.

What I'm suggesting, download a Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux iso create a usb, boot it up and see if it enables either of your network interfaces. If so chroot the messed up install by following the linked how-to. Then try

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -f

To see if apt can save your butt. Then

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Read that whole BL thread, such as the part of using control + d key to exit the chroot etc.

Edit: Even though you're giving up, still posting this as it's good to know and already took the time to type this out on a damn android phone! :)
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-07-26 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

L_V

#20 Post by L_V »

You probably need two system partitions:
1 - a clean/stable one with Buster (not to play with, not to "force" anything).
2 - another one to play at linux and learn what to not do (you already have very good experience / congratulations)

I recommend you to use aptitude in command line for all update/install operations.

biigii

#21 Post by biigii »

GOT IT TO WORK AT LAST :)

manually downloaded and installed the three missing libraries, installed the network manager and then gnome network manager and boom! i got the network service back!!! very happy now, gotta get me a cold one now and do Buster :)

thanks again guys, specially L_V, you really helped me out.

L_V

#22 Post by L_V »

Great.
It's time to investigate aptitude program, especially with your ubuntu sources.list.
Be prepared for next lesson !

Deb-fan

#23 Post by Deb-fan »

^LOL, Ubuntu in his sources.list?! Didn't bother clicking on the 48 cell phone shots of errors and info. OP you're going to need all the help you can get! :)

Edit: Wasn't very helpful but what's meant by that OP, if am understanding what LV said, you have a bunch of ppa's (meant for Ubuntu) etc in your sources.list? Mixing Debian and Ubuntu is a no, no. Aren't compatible anymore. Hey though respect people who aren't afraid to dig around and break stuff. Good way to learn, what and what not to do.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

biigii

#24 Post by biigii »

thanks i appreciate your Edit and the helpful comment, and i respect and do prefer good practices and will remove the Ubuntu ppa from my source list. i guess that would mean any applications that have been installed using those ppa's on my Debian will be removed too? what should i do if i really needed a particular software installed which cant get via Debian ppa? cheers

Head_on_a_Stick

#25 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

biigii wrote:i respect and do prefer good practices and will remove the Ubuntu ppa from my source list. i guess that would mean any applications that have been installed using those ppa's on my Debian will be removed too?
No.

Try https://packages.debian.org/buster/apt-show-versions to see if you can weed out the bad dependencies but I think a reinstall from scratch is probably safer.
biigii wrote:what should i do if i really needed a particular software installed which cant get via Debian ppa?
Either use https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA or package the software up yourself:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
deadbang

biigii

#26 Post by biigii »

biigii wrote: Either use https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA or package the software up yourself:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
thanks, very useful resource for me