AMD or Intel for debian

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: AMD or Intel for debian

Postby CwF » 2019-08-03 01:02

ya kinda messed up that quote pendrachken!? You mean that CwF quote stands...without the 'wrong'
CwF

Postby theblueplll » 2019-08-03 01:25

pendrachken wrote:Kind of sounds like you aren't providing any evidence that these attacks are wide spread on every web site and everyone should panic. Bluepillmoron also doesn't even seem to have a clue what spectre and meltdown actually do either. Here's a hint: it isn't "let anyone look around their machine at will".

Calling me a moron because you don't agree with my opinion is pretty childish.
This is getting ridiculous and a lot of you need to grow up.

You also have an interesting idea on how hackers do things and seem to think they would need to keep using spectre or meltdown over and over again to get back in each time.

NAT is NOT any kind of firewall or device it is a technology that even your modem uses to give out IP addresses you can look that up at the link I posted if you're still confused.

Ports not being forwarded doesn't always protect one from anything either.
Hacking isn't as complicated as you would think it is. Hacking some clowns home network is a joke.

Just because I don't know a lot about Linux as most of you o nthe forum doesn't mean I am stupid and don't know stuff.
Last edited by theblueplll on 2019-08-03 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
theblueplll

Postby sunrat » 2019-08-03 04:24

theblueplll wrote:Calling me a moron because you don't agree with my opinion is pretty childish.
This is getting ridiculous and a lot of you need to grow up....
Just because I don't know a lot about Linux as most of you o nthe forum doesn't mean I am stupid and don't know stuff.

You don't have to agree with everyone but a little respect goes a long way.

The last straw: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=theblueplll
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby theblueplll » 2019-08-03 04:36

sunrat wrote:
theblueplll wrote:Calling me a moron because you don't agree with my opinion is pretty childish.
This is getting ridiculous and a lot of you need to grow up....
Just because I don't know a lot about Linux as most of you on the forum doesn't mean I am stupid and don't know stuff.

You don't have to agree with everyone but a little respect goes a long way.

The last straw: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=theblueplll

Is this guy for real???

I need to give some jerk repsect after they call me a moron for speaking my opinion???

That's not how things work where I come from.
Respect is earned not given for any reason without merit.
theblueplll

Postby fender0107401 » 2019-08-03 07:32

I have a few systems running Debian and FreeBSD.

Intel is more stable, especially for Windows systems.
fender0107401

Postby 4D696B65 » 2019-08-03 12:03

This is getting ridiculous and a lot of you need to grow up.

Most topics here require fact, not opinion.
4D696B65

Postby Segfault » 2019-08-03 12:08

sunrat wrote:The last straw: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=theblueplll

Thanks, sunrat, good link.
Segfault

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-08-03 14:16

pendrachken wrote:
I wrote:Wrong.

Yes, you are.

Am not :P

pendrachken wrote:1: a home user would have to visit a malicious site with - 1a: a very old browser that doesn't have JS jitter built in specifically for this mitigation, 2a: stay on the site long enough for the execution and send back of the data from the script, or 3a: download a malicious program that will exploit the meltdown / spectre vectors

The fixes applied to the newer browser versions make timing-based attacks more difficult but it is still possible to create a high precision timer using the web worker feature of HTML5: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... -defeated/

And the vulnerabilities allow the attacker to read the memory space of the entire browser so if one tab was compromised then password details entered in another tab could be read, there would be no need to download or install anything in the target machine.

pendrachken wrote:
I wrote:Absence of evidence != evidence of absence.

Kind of sounds like you aren't providing any evidence that these attacks are wide spread on every web site and everyone should panic.

I am not claiming the attacks are wide spread, nor am I suggesting anybody should panic. I'm just pointing out that the risks are real and that people should be applying all the available mitigations (and disabling javascript wherever possible) and that AMD is a better choice than Intel because they are less vulnerable to this class of exploit.

And there have been some attempted exploits discovered in the wild: https://mobile.twitter.com/avtestorg/st ... 2997861376

Anyway, here's a nice article on the subject that's worth reading: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6129 ... n-attacks/
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Segfault » 2019-08-03 15:01

Performance wise, I'm curious. Intel has hardware video encoding built in, it really speeds up encoding. How well AMD encodes to H.265, for instance?
Segfault

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-08-03 15:07

Segfault wrote:How well AMD encodes to H.265

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd- ... 0x/13.html
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Segfault » 2019-08-03 15:44

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 3900X 12 cores 24 threads - benchmark 64 seconds (TDP 105 W)
Intel i7-9700K 8 cores 8 threads - benchmark 86 seconds (TDP 95 W)

Looking at this, one Intel core is more efficient than one AMD core. Yet, AMD outperforms Intel using relatively less electrical power. But AMD costs more, way more! Interesting.

Another thought. Since AMD needs roughly two times more threads to perform the same job it also needs more RAM. For instance, when compiling with -j4 one thread may consume up to 2 GB of RAM, thus at least 8 GB is required. With AMD to build with same speed you need -j8 which needs up to 16 GB of RAM ...
Segfault

Previous

Return to General Questions