Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

One machine, Two systems (a dailydriver and a playground)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Funkygoby

One machine, Two systems (a dailydriver and a playground)

#1 Post by Funkygoby »

Hello,

My mother is currently using Debian on her one and only laptop. She is kind of curious about understanding the system (cli, firewall) and already comfortable with apt udate/upgrade.
I would like to give her a "second" system she could play with and possibly break without consequence.

A spare machine is not possible, neither a 2nd harddrive. What would be possible options and which one would be the most practical (for me as the support and her as the user)? So far I am considering:
- VM: Install Debian in a qemu machine. I like qemu and have used it few time to test distros
- Docker. I started to use this at work. Maybe I could build an image, give it to her and then she could create a persistent container to play with? Spawn a new one when needed
- chroot and derivatives. I never used this but the simplicity of it is appealing (no service needed). Is it sufficient for my need ?

The guest's system needs to be separated from the host: trashing the guest's drive/network/root folder should not impact the host at all. I am not talking about bulletproof isolation, my mom won't exploit the kernel for escalation and such. All is needed here is enough separation for foot-shooting situations.

What are you thoughts on this?
Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: One machine, Two systems (a dailydriver and a playground

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why not dual boot?

I use btrfs subvolumes to fit any number of distributions in a single partition. LVM can be used in a similar fashion with ext4 or xfs.
deadbang