Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Debian 10 alters gdebi and dpkg -i functionality?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debian121212

[SOLVED] Debian 10 alters gdebi and dpkg -i functionality?

#1 Post by debian121212 »

Just installed Debian 10 from DVD 1. First thing I do is download Gdebi, build-essential, and linux headers amd 64. I then add myself to sudoers, and then proceed to download some .deb files. For this example we will use Ocenaudio since I have tested it before and is widely available at https://www.ocenaudio.com/download.

Running gdebi on /home/USER/Downloads/ocenaudio_debian9_64_3.7.2.deb and then clicking on install has the window just vanish after about 2 seconds, as if gdebi it is encountering some glitch. Also tried it on other packages so I know its not ocenaudio deb file.

I proceeded to su and dpkg -i, and it didnt work either

Code: Select all

root@debian:/home/USER/Downloads# dpkg -i ocenaudio_debian9_64_3.7.2.deb
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin
I was then successful after

su -
dpkg - i <PATH TO PACKAGE>
instead of regular su. I had to

apt --fix-broken install
because after "dpkg -i" installing the package in "su - " mode yet it still complained about a libqt5 dependency.

Brand new Debian 10 installation (coming from Debian 9) and it seems I now have to use "su -" instead of "su" for everything now, What a patch!

How do I get gdebi to work as usual?
Last edited by debian121212 on 2019-08-20 03:58, edited 8 times in total.

debian121212

Re: gdebi and dpkg -i both not installing ocenaudio

#2 Post by debian121212 »

Checking out
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... h-variable

Ubuntu and though I know they are basically the same it still seems risky for me to mess around like that in a brand new debian 10 install. In fact, what I did with "su -" and then fix broken apps was already feeling too risky, and hoping I can find a more streamlined, smoother feeling approach to the problem if available, proceeded to apt-get remove ocenaudio which was successful after the dpkg -i install in "su -" mode (and subsequent fix broken apps).

Isn't there a nice simple package to apt-get install or something more smooth than a 5 year ubuntu post?

djk44883

Re: Debian 10 breaks usual gdebi and dpkg -i functionality?

#3 Post by djk44883 »

https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster
Changes

The su command in buster is provided by the util-linux source package, instead of the shadow source package, and no longer alters the PATH variable by default. This means that after doing su, your PATH may not contain directories like /sbin, and many system administration commands will fail. There are several workarounds:

Use su - instead; this launches a login shell, which forces PATH to be changed, but also changes everything else including the working directory.

Use sudo instead. sudo still runs commands with an altered PATH variable.

To get a regular root shell with the correct PATH, you may use sudo -s.

To get a login shell as root (equivalent to su -), you may use sudo -i.

Put ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes in /etc/login.defs to get an approximation of the old behavior.

Put the system administration directories (/sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/sbin) in your regular account's PATH (see EnvironmentVariables for help with this).
gdebi may have this issue from the same page - you may need further research.
The default Wayland session for GNOME stops some packages like synaptic from working. Graphical system administration packages that need superuser privileges will generally be problematic until major rewrites occur. Workarounds include using GNOME on X11 instead of Wayland, or using non-graphical alternative tools.
dpkg install packages, if all dependencies are met. It's not a apt or apt-get to resolve and get what you need.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p269115

debian121212

#4 Post by debian121212 »

So i can just use sudo and su -

Anything else to know about su - usage instead of regular su? Im reading up thx

Any GUI alternative to GDEBI that just works on 10?

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I had a look at the package you mention. On my mate desktop gdebi informs that "all dependencies" are met so I could go ahead and install if I wanted. But since I see no license or source code to compile the package myself, I prefer not to. However, for information about dependences needed by some downloaded deb package, one can use the dpkg -I command:
For example:

user@debian:~/Downloads$ dpkg -I ocenaudio_debian9_64_3.7.3.deb
 new Debian package, version 2.0.
 size 13755384 bytes: control archive=668 bytes.
     517 bytes,     9 lines      control              
     524 bytes,    15 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
     400 bytes,    11 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
 Package: ocenaudio
 Version: 3.7.3-1
 Installed-size: 43136606
 Architecture: amd64
 Homepage: http://www.ocenaudio.com
 Description: Ocenaudio is a fast, cross-platform audio editor.
 Maintainer: ocenaudio <ocenaudio@ocenaudio.com>
 Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.2), libqt5network5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5concurrent5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.3.2), libasound2, libpulse0, libjack-jackd2-0 | libjack0, libuuid1, liblzma5, libxml2, libbz2-1.0, zlib1g, openssl (>= 1.0.0), libudev1
 Priority: optional
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

debian121212

Re: Debian 10 changes usual gdebi and dpkg -i functionality?

#6 Post by debian121212 »

https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster

su - 
"also changes everything else"

What else?

By just using su- instead of su all the time now just like if it was su will I have a problem?

Looks like Im now forced to use sudo (like i always shouldve anyway)

debian121212

#7 Post by debian121212 »

kedaha wrote:Hi,
I had a look at the package you mention. On my mate desktop gdebi informs that "all dependencies" are met so I could go ahead and install if I wanted. But since I see no license or source code to compile the package myself, I prefer not to. However, for information about dependences needed by some downloaded deb package, one can use the dpkg -I command:
For example:

user@debian:~/Downloads$ dpkg -I ocenaudio_debian9_64_3.7.3.deb
 new Debian package, version 2.0.
 size 13755384 bytes: control archive=668 bytes.
     517 bytes,     9 lines      control              
     524 bytes,    15 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
     400 bytes,    11 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
 Package: ocenaudio
 Version: 3.7.3-1
 Installed-size: 43136606
 Architecture: amd64
 Homepage: http://www.ocenaudio.com
 Description: Ocenaudio is a fast, cross-platform audio editor.
 Maintainer: ocenaudio <ocenaudio@ocenaudio.com>
 Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.2), libqt5network5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5concurrent5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.3.2), libasound2, libpulse0, libjack-jackd2-0 | libjack0, libuuid1, liblzma5, libxml2, libbz2-1.0, zlib1g, openssl (>= 1.0.0), libudev1
 Priority: optional
Why you choose to compile yourself? Or you just say that bc of lack of licensing makes u skeptic? Sorry newbie here

djk44883

#8 Post by djk44883 »

debian121212 wrote:https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster

su - 
"also changes everything else"

What else?
but also changes everything else including the working directory.

Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
2) That you have searched the Man pages available on your topic.
su
-, -l, --login
Start the shell as a login shell with an environment similar to a real login:

o clears all the environment variables except TERM and variables specified by --whitelist-environment
o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, and PATH
o changes to the target user's home directory
o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

dpkg will not resolve dependencies. Gdebi does but I don't use it and don't know why it doesn't work for you.

For locally downloaded debs you can now use apt which will also resolve dependencies. From the directory where the downloaded file resides (as root or sudo):

# apt install ./downloadedfile
in your case

~/Downloads# apt install ./ocenaudio_debian9_64_3.7.3.deb
I have Ocenaudio installed here and it's quite good, similar to Audacity but with a cleaner GUI.
Its licence is not open source though, more a restricted freeware licence. It was developed by a group from Federal University of Santa Catarina (LINSE) in Brazil.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

debian121212 wrote: Why you choose to compile yourself? Or you just say that bc of lack of licensing makes u skeptic? Sorry newbie here
The package in question a non-free, pre-compiled binary deb and is made available according to the terms of a license included in the package. Unlike, for example, Audacity the source code is unavailable so the contents cannot be studied or modified in any way, which is wholly contrary to official Debian Free Software Guidelines. I'm happy to install Debian binary packages, if I need them, which comply with these guidelines and may or may not wish to compile a package myself so that, for example, it is compatible as a backport with stable Debian. But if no source code is provided this is not an option. Furthermore, non-free packages encumbered with their corresponding non-free license cannot be tested by Debian for bugs or audited for security.
Maybe I'm overly finicky but I just follow advice given here:
On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

I hate to have to say this, but it looks like you didn't do much searching here for "gdebi" before posting your question:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=gdebi

I use Dolphin most of the time, so I just right-click the debs and use my "Actions/Install deb files" service menu. It's better than gdebi because it installs any number of debs at once, but still gets their dependencies and rejects incompatible packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

debian121212

#12 Post by debian121212 »

stevepusser wrote:I hate to have to say this, but it looks like you didn't do much searching here for "gdebi" before posting your question:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=gdebi

I use Dolphin most of the time, so I just right-click the debs and use my "Actions/Install deb files" service menu. It's better than gdebi because it installs any number of debs at once, but still gets their dependencies and rejects incompatible packages.

Switched from Thunar to Dolphin. Much better.

Seems you have something like
https://www.andreascarpino.it/posts/ins ... ction.html
happening, where you created a custom action for this?

Marking this solved because reading up on your link, I realize you can just use
deepin-deb-installer
or just open the GDebi on its own and navigate to file as a workaround as well.

THX!!
Last edited by debian121212 on 2019-08-20 03:56, edited 2 times in total.

debian121212

#13 Post by debian121212 »

kedaha wrote:
debian121212 wrote: Why you choose to compile yourself? Or you just say that bc of lack of licensing makes u skeptic? Sorry newbie here
The package in question a non-free, pre-compiled binary deb and is made available according to the terms of a license included in the package. Unlike, for example, Audacity the source code is unavailable so the contents cannot be studied or modified in any way, which is wholly contrary to official Debian Free Software Guidelines. I'm happy to install Debian binary packages, if I need them, which comply with these guidelines and may or may not wish to compile a package myself so that, for example, it is compatible as a backport with stable Debian. But if no source code is provided this is not an option. Furthermore, non-free packages encumbered with their corresponding non-free license cannot be tested by Debian for bugs or audited for security.
Maybe I'm overly finicky but I just follow advice given here:
On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.
Wish I could do the same

darry1966

Re: [SOLVED] Debian 10 alters gdebi and dpkg -i functionalit

#14 Post by darry1966 »

I would just like to ask why the change was made if something works as it did for years - why the change??????

cuckooflew

#15 Post by cuckooflew »

So why don't you ask the developers ? They are the ones that made the changes , not us.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/gdebi
The e-mails and FAQ are shown on the info page, why not read it ?
Maintainers:

Ubuntu Developers (QA Page, Mail Archive)
Michael Vogt (QA Page)
Debian Changelog

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gdebi
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

darry1966

#16 Post by darry1966 »

So why don't you ask the developers ? They are the ones that made the changes , not us.
Good point I have done so. Thanks.