Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[*SOLVED*] Many wifi icons, and increasing........

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stumpt

[*SOLVED*] Many wifi icons, and increasing........

#1 Post by stumpt »

Running Buster on a 3-week old Acer swift notebook, XFCE. A few days ago I noticed that there was an extra wifi icon in the Notification Area, in the "Nm tray". Hmm, I thought, no big deal. But over the following days an additional one appeared after every new startup. Now there are 10. The 'Connection ...active' message appears on any of them when I hover the mouse there. The (intel) wifi was quick to setup, and has been running normally since. Any ideas?
Last edited by stumpt on 2019-08-20 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Many wifi icons, and increasing........

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Do they only appear when you do a fresh log in? If so, have you looked in XFCE's autostart settings to see if you have it autostarting every time?
MX Linux packager and developer

stumpt

#3 Post by stumpt »

An additional icon appears on every login. This is also true when I did a test login as root - root has only 2 such icons. This suggests that the problem is system- rather than user-based.
In 'session & startup' under Application Autostart, the tick box for Network was set on; I set it off, but the problem remains.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

Could it be a session problem, is the system restoring each session at boot up and then starting the network again despite it already running? I never use saved sessions due to suffering a similar problem a long time ago.

stumpt

#5 Post by stumpt »

I always save the session for restart. This has never been a problem in years of Debian-XFCE. After installing Buster the system ran for 2 weeks without this problem. I deselected the nm-tray in Settings/Session & Startup, and the wifi icon no longer shows. Yet.......