Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New CPU with older motherboard?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
asd1234

New CPU with older motherboard?

#1 Post by asd1234 »

Hello, I am building a pc from here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and the cpu is very new and I cannot get a (low cost) motherboard that is newer that the CPU so does that mater that the motherboard is older? and are they comparable? Also would I have to update the BIOS from windows when I will not use windows?

Thanks in advance.

djk44883

Re: New CPU with older motherboard?

#2 Post by djk44883 »

asd1234 wrote:Hello, I am building a pc from here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and the cpu is very new and I cannot get a (low cost) motherboard that is newer that the CPU so does that mater that the motherboard is older? and are they comparable? Also would I have to update the BIOS from windows when I will not use windows?

Thanks in advance.
Check the specs for the motherboard, as long as it supports the CPU, age is irrelevant. I'm not familiar with a BIOS being specific to windows, you may consider avoiding these. Most/all motherboard BIOSes generally have no real issues with what ever OS you install.

Fierelier

#3 Post by Fierelier »

You can often look on the board maker's website to make sure the board supports the CPU you want to purchase.

About updating the board's BIOS... On some boards, you do indeed need to use Windows to update. Though newer UEFI-Based boards often give you the option to update from a FAT32 formatted USB, directly from the BIOS options. Others even allow you to do this directly via ethernet. You can see if this functionality exists inside the motherboard's manual (also often provided on the board maker's site).

DebbyIan

#4 Post by DebbyIan »

asd1234 wrote:Hello, I am building a pc from here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and the cpu is very new and I cannot get a (low cost) motherboard that is newer that the CPU so does that mater that the motherboard is older? and are they comparable? Also would I have to update the BIOS from windows when I will not use windows?

Thanks in advance.
Newer system board tend to offer improvements for a given class of CPU. Particularly an updated memory spec and correspondingly an updated chipset spec. Usually if the CPU pin count is the same then combo *might* be compatible but always check in advance.

For BIOS updates, most manufacturers don't support Linux. They only support Windows and if you ask them if Linux is supported they'll come back at you like a parrot "Linux is not supported". Expect the worst in this regard.

Unless you're doing anything exquisite, I don't believe custom PC builds are really viable nowadays. This has been the case for a good few years now. It's a lot more convenient to get an aftermarket desktop from the top three instead. A Lenovo ThinkCentre is my recommendation for performance and durability and you can flash the BIOS and corresponding firmware without the use of Windows. Actually the BIOS update program doesn't use Linux either but uses DOS instead.