Lenovo 110S-11IBR

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Lenovo 110S-11IBR

Postby HyperUniverse » 2019-08-27 12:05

Hi,

I have just installed Debian 10 on a Lenovo 110S-11IBR.
The laptop originally had only 32GB of space, but I have bought a 500GB M.2 SATA 2280 card, and is working perfectly.

One problem though:
I tried MATE and is not working (probably hardware incompatible?).
So I re-installed it with GNOME.
I just don't like the look and feel of the new GNOME, I want the old one back, that's why I first tried MATE.

Anybody knows if MATE can be installed on this machine?
Or maybe the old GNOME?

Thanks

One additional question:
has anybody upgraded the RAM on a machine like this?
the RAM is soldered onto the board; that's not a problem as I can solder and desolder anything on this planet, just wanted to know if it is possible, and if there are any pointing steps anywhere.

Regards.
HyperUniverse

Re: Lenovo 110S-11IBR

Postby Fierelier » 2019-08-27 13:59

I've had very similar issues with similar hardware. I think you might have the same issue as me. If I remember correctly, the Atoms/Celerons around this time have Intel HDs that are based on the Intel HD 4000. Now I'm sure the HD 4000 itself works within Debian, but these chips in particular do not. There was an issue about this somewhere, I think OpenBSD works on these? Maybe a newer Linux Kernel fixes this issue, you could give it a shot.

You can also try running without hardware acceleration if nothing else helps, although I do not know how you would go about doing that.
Fierelier

Return to General Questions