Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved Installing Windows 7 as dual-boot from within Debian?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Fierelier

Solved Installing Windows 7 as dual-boot from within Debian?

#1 Post by Fierelier »

Hello everybody!
This one might be a little weird, but I am in a very tight spot. My device is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilio A1630 from 2004, running some, seemingly limited, American Megatrends BIOS. I've had a few issues trying to boot from USB, like that the laptop prefers booting from the HDD, and there seems to be no way to change it.

Regardless, I've got Debian Buster (AMD64) installed with XFCE by using a Plop Boot Manager CD. The issue is that I can not get Windows 7 installed from USB. I can boot it using GRUB (root=(hdd1,msdos1); chainloader +1; boot) but it gives me an error related to BOOT\BCD - 0xc00000e - I read that this is because Windows Setup does not have the necessary drivers for USB for this machine.

The obvious solution at this point would be to burn a Windows 7 DVD, however the DVD drive in this laptop will not function reliably (I can't even get far in the Windows XP install).

Is there perhaps any way to install Windows 7 as a secondary OS from within Debian? -- I am not afraid of losing GRUB or my current Debian setup, as I can still boot a Debian setup using my Plop Boot Manager CD.
Last edited by Fierelier on 2019-08-28 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

Re: Installing Windows 7 as dual-boot from within Debian?

#2 Post by phenest »

ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Fierelier

Re: Installing Windows 7 as dual-boot from within Debian?

#3 Post by Fierelier »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I've put together quite the setup to be able to do all from this from a Live environment. Unfortunately, I did not realize that Debian Live was missing the grub-related command that WoeUSB needed, and the process failed. I stupidly installed the GRUB package, which just installed the legacy GRUB stuff, instead of modern GRUB. Thought that'd do, but WoeUSB did not function correctly because of that and I ended up with a laptop without OS. I should have probably copied the binary from my pre-existing distro, oh well.

Anyways, At that point I was pretty fed up, and I got another idea. I've gotten out the other laptop I still had and transplanted the HDD, started the first stage of installation from there and then switched the HDD back. Everything went well.

Thanks for tipping me off though, experimented around and made new experiences!
Should be able to install Debian as dual-boot from here, thanks again! :)