Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

updatedb not using sufficient CPU

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Praxis

updatedb not using sufficient CPU

#1 Post by Praxis »

I installed mlocate on Debian stable and couldn't find a recent document so I did an "updatedb" but it didn't complete after 30 minutes on a 1TB file system, so I reniced it to -20 because it was only using 12% or so of a very anemic 1.6 GHz fanless Celeron quad core processor. Even then only about 16% of my CPU is being used. I could understand this if there were a bunch of other demands on my processor, but according to htop only about 25% of my cores' power are being used.

Is there some trick to getting updatedb to complete in my increasingly limited lifetime? Or is this a reportable bug (I didn't see anything in the mlocate bug page? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... ist=buster

EDIT: So an hour on I tried a locate command and got:

Code: Select all

locate: can not stat () `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': No such file or directory
But the process is veeeery slowly running, there is a gradually growing file in /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.dbxxx
I suppose it will eventually finish if I leave my computer running all night, but I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for updatedb to finish, even on systems with low-powered processors and several large hard drives.

In an unrelated off-topic rant, I wish Debian would quit culling tiny little CLI utilities off of its default installations (mlocate, curl, rename come to mind). I could understand it if it were Ubuntu which isn't focused on more experienced users, but these things are minuscule and typical ISO images are over 2 TB (although I have no idea why they are so big since the typical install is pretty Spartan).

Praxis

Re: updatedb not using sufficient CPU

#2 Post by Praxis »

It doesn't look like my problem has to do with mlocate, specifically. After letting updatedb run all night and getting a 5GB+ file with no end in site I purged the mlocate package again and reinstalled. Then ran updatedb and it completed quickly (a few seconds, producing a 16.8 MB mlocate.db). Then I edited /etc/updatedb.conf as is my wont, and removed 'cifs' from PRUNEFS and it looked like I was going back into the eternal growing updatedb process (my always-on samba server has about 600 GB of data, this has never been a problem for mlocate before). So I purged mlocate and installed locate. locate ran updatedb quickly, but then I went in to adjust the program to remove cifs from /etc/alternatives/updatedb (which seems to be a script rather than a binary, as it seems to be for mlocate) and it looked like it was going to take forever again. So I purged locate and went back to mlocate. With just the local 120GB being indexed it took updatedb about 3 seconds to generate a 16.8 MB mlocate.db. After removing 'cifs' from /etc/updatedb.conf it took 2.5 minutes to hit 16.8 MB with no end in sight. Restarting samba on my server and removing a line I'd recently added to my server's smb.conf did not help. I played around with my /etc/fstab settings for the auto-mounting share, but didn't find anything useful.

So I'm guessing that because the problem impacts both locate and mlocate the issue must be with the configuration of samba. So I guess I'll have to add 'cifs' back to PRUNEFS and hope this symptom doesn't occur on other computers. If it does, I gather from the mlocate man page that you can make 'locate' search multiple databases, so I'll have to figure out how to get updatedb to include a link to the /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db file on my server. And maybe file a bug report.

Praxis

Re: updatedb not using sufficient CPU

#3 Post by Praxis »

After the latest round of updates I removed CIFS from PRUNEFS and ran updatedb and it completed in a reasonable period of time, problem solved. I'm really too stupid to run Linux, I never have any idea what is going on.