Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED Buster XFCE: How to find the cause of random crashes?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
efrpcabo

Re: SOLVED Buster XFCE: How to find the cause of random cras

#41 Post by efrpcabo »

efrpcabo wrote:More feedback:
- everything keeps going just fine
- no more crashes, not even one

One correction to my above reply!
This is wrong:
efrpcabo wrote: To do that, set this setting like this:
XFCE Power Manager, Security, automatically lock the session: never
If you set Power Manager like this, it will prevent Xscreensaver to lock the screen.
I believe Xscreensaver overrides Xscreensaver on this.

Instead, consider this:
To do that, set this setting like this:
XFCE Power Manager, Display, Blank after: [define here a time period bigger than the one set in the "Screensaver"]
XFCE Power Manager, Security, automatically lock the session: "When the screensaver is ativated" [this is only necessary to avoid choosing "Never"]

Example:
Set the lock screen in Power Manager to 60 minutes.
Set the lock screen in Xscreensaver to blank after 55 minutes and lock after 1 minute.
The lock screen will be effective at 56 minutes.
The important thing here is NOT to let the Power Manager lock the screen, by setting the Xscreensaver to lock it first.

Sorry about the extensive posts and somewhat confusion throughout this thread.
The reason for it is because this took me several days to figure out, and many minutes to wait and see if the screensaver would work or a crash would happen.
And as I was doing it, I tried to register everything, so I would lose track on changes, or forget what I did and what I hadn't already done.
Ok, forget about this.
I wrote this because I went at my computer and the screen wasn't locked, so I thought Xscreensaver hadn't worked and thought the reason was the above.

However, I have just finished tested it again like before (with Power Manager set to Never) and it worked.
To be exact, in fact, it worked with both options in that tab:
- automatically lock the session: "When the screensaver is ativated": on
- automatically lock the session: "When the screensaver is ativated": off

So the reason to the screen not being locked had to be another.
After reading the texts below, in my case maybe the cause was:
- I am running Xscreensaver 5.42 (the present version in Debian 10 Buster as of today) instead of 5.43;
- ou being logged as root with some app (sometimes I use Thunar or Mousepad to edit some system file), but I don't remember that at that time.

I got these ideas from the Xscreensaver documentation, points 6, 7, 8 and 26 here:
https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
The point 26 mentions Laptop, but I'm on a Desktop.

So, just in case, now every time I go away from my computer, I just hit Ctr-Alt-Del to start Xscreensaver.
Or maybe I will just wait and see if it becomes unlocked again and try to see the cause for that when it happens.

efrpcabo

#42 Post by efrpcabo »

Just to report feedback.

Today morning when I got at my computer I had the blinking cursor in the upper left monitor corner.
I don't know why this happened.

The first time, I thought it was a misconfiguration of mine.

But now I'm sure it isn't that because it has been working flawlessly without crashes in the past two days, and I have been working many hours at the computer despite being weekend.
Before, I had experienced many crashes while I was working. Sometimes 5 or 6 in per hour.

I think I will take out the Nvidia video card, I don't need it anyway because I found out that this computer has two displayports that I had overlooked because I was l looking for DVI.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#43 Post by NFT5 »

Sorry to hear. Sounded like you thought you had it fixed.

Just a random observation but I'm seeing lots of posts about graphics not working properly in Buster. More than I think I remember seeing with the introductions of Jessie and Stretch. Usually I wait until a new edition of Debian reaches the .5 release, by which time most of these bugs are ironed out. This time I went early because Stretch wasn't playing ball, so kind of expected these little problems.

FWIW my problem seems have been resolved with installation of a new card. Only problem I've had was upsetting grub by formatting the partitions with Jessie on them and then forgetting to run update-grub. Easily fixed but a noob mistake. :?

efrpcabo

#44 Post by efrpcabo »

NFT5 wrote: Just a random observation but I'm seeing lots of posts about graphics not working properly in Buster. More than I think I remember seeing with the introductions of Jessie and Stretch. Usually I wait until a new edition of Debian reaches the .5 release, by which time most of these bugs are ironed out.
That's good advice!
NFT5 wrote: FWIW my problem seems have been resolved with installation of a new card.
Yes, I thought about that too, and I would if I really needed a dedicated graphics card.
I just tried to solve this because with this exactly same hardware (computer + dedicated card) everything was working well in Debian 8.
NFT5 wrote: Only problem I've had was upsetting grub by formatting the partitions with Jessie on them and then forgetting to run update-grub. Easily fixed but a noob mistake. :?
Same here. It's not the first time I forgot to run update-grub.
Sometimes we all make noob mistakes.