Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Random Freezes on Lenovo Ideapad 330

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Gerowen
XMMP/Jabber: gerowen@conversations.im

Random Freezes on Lenovo Ideapad 330

#1 Post by Gerowen »

I run Debian 10 on my home server and 3 other PCs in the house besides this one, and they all run flawlessly. On this machine however, I encounter random lock-ups. They almost always happen when I'm trying to watch a YouTube video in Firefox. Does anybody else have this issue or know anything about it? They seem to be related to Gnome, but I'm not sure. Sometimes if a video is playing, the audio will continue playing normally, but my mouse will freeze and all video output will freeze. I can turn Num Lock on/off, but CTRL+ALT+F1-F7 does nothing. Other times the audio will simply loop the last 5 or 10 seconds of audio like a broken record, and like before, the GUI just stops responding altogether. Here's some info about the system in general.

Lenovo Ideapad 330
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U w/ integrated Vega 8 graphics
RAM: 8 GB

Side note, this is the only system in the house that has the system (root) partition encrypted so that I have to enter a password on startup. I figure it contains lots of personal documents that get sync'd to my Nextcloud server, so in the event that it, being a laptop, gets stolen, I don't want people to have easy access to those files. Since all the other systems in the house all run AMD hardware as well (albeit older, the rest of them are all bulldozer or older CPUs with a mix of Polaris and older graphics), I don't "think" it has anything to do with the CPU or GPU.

I do have the firmware-linux package installed so that I have the proper Vega drivers installed for my integrated graphics.
Last edited by Gerowen on 2019-09-01 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: Random Freezes

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Random freezes are frequently a sign of hardware failure. Eventually they get worse. You say that freezes tend to occur when watching a YouTube video in Firefox. It may be stressing a weak video card.

Random problems can drive you crazy. Observe carefully.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Look for error messages. For previous boot:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -1 -p 3
For current boot:

journalctl -b -p 3
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Gerowen
XMMP/Jabber: gerowen@conversations.im

#4 Post by Gerowen »

sunrat wrote:Look for error messages. For previous boot:

journalctl -b -1 -p 3
For current boot:

journalctl -b -p 3
I don't currently have persistent logging enabled. I've disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox, which "seems", at least so far, to have fixed the issue. Weird thing is, I can play games for hours on end with no problems, so perhaps it's some bug that exists between Firefox hardware acceleration and my currently installed drivers for the Vega integrated graphics. If it happens again though, then I'll enable persistent logging. I got a few ideas from some guys in the IRC, so I'm gonna try one thing at a time until I am fairly certain the issue is fixed, at which point I will report back here in case anybody else has this issue in the future.

So far though at least, disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox appears to be the solution.

stevepusser

Re: Random Freezes on Lenovo Ideapad 330

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Usually, quirky problems like this for really new hardware get worked out in time. You could try the latest kernel in buster-backports along with the firmware packages in backports to see if that makes any difference.
MX Linux packager and developer