How do you unpack an .rpm?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

How do you unpack an .rpm?

Postby okay1234 » 2005-08-19 23:43

Hello. What program should i use to unpack .rpm-files on Debian KDE? And where do i get it? Thank you. Because there is no program for unzipping them forehand at me.
okay1234

Postby Harold » 2005-08-20 01:01

Debian does not use .rpm files. Debian uses .deb files. If you really want to install a .rpm file, it can be done, but there is always a .deb version that is guaranteed to work. What particular package are you trying to install?
Harold

Postby Guest » 2005-08-20 06:05

It was the driver to my Radeon 9600 graphic card, from www.ati.com.
But another question is, how do you then unpack .deb-files?

Postby Harold » 2005-08-20 06:23

Users don't normally unpack a .deb or a .rpm. Only developers do that. Users either install or uninstall .debs and .rpms. Users do unpack source code (tarballs).

I can't get into the ATI website tonight. Looks like something there is FUBAR'ed. I'll try tomorrow.
Harold

Postby czadman » 2005-08-20 19:11

Instead of using rmp package dedicated to suse and redhat you may download ATI Driver Installer and run driver installation program or extract package (run with --extract parameter). It now support creating debian specyfic driver package.
Details are described in RELEASE NOTES document.
czadman

Postby Harold » 2005-08-21 01:23

Well now... Installation of files by the ATI installer was painless. fglrxconfig asks a *lot* of strange questions, but it has good default values. My old xorg.conf file was 2,800 bites; the new one is 19,500 bites, seven times bigger. Outside of a minor screen position shift that was easily adjusted, Xfce doesn't look any different. So how is this better than the ATI drivers that ship with Xorg?
Harold

Postby czadman » 2005-08-21 08:58

Harold wrote:Well now... Installation of files by the ATI installer was painless. fglrxconfig asks a *lot* of strange questions, but it has good default values. My old xorg.conf file was 2,800 bites; the new one is 19,500 bites, seven times bigger. Outside of a minor screen position shift that was easily adjusted, Xfce doesn't look any different. So how is this better than the ATI drivers that ship with Xorg?

There is no need to run fglrxconfig script, it is enough to run an installation script to create kernel module. Further xorg configuration proceeds normally, and one shoud to choose fglrx driver and everything should work fine.

Properitaty ati driver has better efficiency for openGL programs like game RTCW Enemy Territory. :)
czadman

Postby Harold » 2005-08-21 16:21

You are not correct. The current ATI installer, upon completion of "Automatic mode of installation," displays the following message:

"Installation Completed

The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver installation is complete.

The log file has been stored to /usr/share/fglrx.

It is important to save your X window configuration file, and then run fglrxconfig (in a console window) to complete the configuration of the display setting.

A reboot of the system is recommended after running fglrxconfig."

The only installer option is to "Generate Distribution Specific Driver Package," which displays the same message to the user. I know from direct observation that the installer does not write to /etc/X11/xorg.conf until the end of the fglrxconfig script.
Harold

Postby czadman » 2005-08-22 15:31

Yes, you are right. This is method recomended by ATI, and indeed such message shows after completion, but for simplification entire process and not produce huge configuration file will be enough to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and choose fglrx driver durig configuration.

There is similar situation with with nvidia driver. Nvidia installer makes only kernel module and user have to manually or with distribution specyfic way reconfigure xserver to use it.

In both cases (nvidia and fglrx) simplier method works and both drivers have many configuration options which are not necesary for usual desktop using.
czadman

Postby Harold » 2005-08-23 00:26

Ah! I offer my profuse apologies. You are indeed correct. I did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and I see a new driver named fglrx. Now let's see if I can manage to explore my new options without hosing my computer. :-)
Harold

Return to General Questions